Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

"Fake" Buddhists?

124»

Comments

• Yes that's an opportunity to be here on Newbuddhist to discuss things we may be wrong about. It has a different value from an actual sangha in that it is a free market, kinda chaotic. A real sangha has a tradition and structure of teachings which may be sort of 'in a bubble'. I participated in an aol sangha for awhile and when I went to my current sangha it was an adjustment to change some of my assumptions and sectarian views.
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited January 2013
    ^^^ ....... :)
  • We sometimes belong by excluding, feeling superior and being inspired by. In other words the 'position of others'.
    All those positions are enacted by practitioners. The severely Buddhist, following all the rules may be worthy of great veneration or be constrained by imposed and fake behaviour and a complete range in between these behaviours.
    At different times, in different ways we may be false or fake, the truth and genuine is something we aim for with integrity. In so doing, we become independent of finger pointing and moved by our own internal conduct.
    In essence we grow from and into authenticity with compassion for our own and others shams.

. . . Gosh . . . I almost sound like a real Buddhist . . . :om:
    taiyakiStraight_ManJeffreycarolann
  • It's moot. Imho, this question does nothing to help anyone.

Was Sidhartha a buddhist? No. He was a man who sat under a tree for a long time. All the layers we place on buddhism can and do distract from the very basic truth that a normal man sat under a tree and learned all there is to know about life.

It is a beautiful concept. So simple. Anybody can still their mind and learn. To me, everything else is extra.
    lobsterTheEccentric
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

It's moot. Imho, this question does nothing to help anyone.

Was Sidhartha a buddhist? No. He was a man who sat under a tree for a long time. All the layers we place on buddhism can and do distract from the very basic truth that a normal man sat under a tree and learned all there is to know about life.

It is a beautiful concept. So simple. Anybody can still their mind and learn. To me, everything else is extra.

It always amazes me when someone is totally dismissive of other people's views (in this case a whole thread of views)...even when I do it myself.

Zero
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited February 2013
    @vinlyn. If you were refering to "EverythingIsCoolMike"s preceding post, it just seemed like a synopsis of many other posts on this thread.
    PS
    Official Buddhist ID cards! $50.00 with a Dharma decoder ring. Call me!
    lobsterNirvanaInvincible_summerVastmind
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    how said:

PS
    Official Buddhist ID cards! $50.00 with a Dharma decoder ring. Call me!

If you're selling Official Fake Buddhist ID cards also, please publish your phone number!
    (I'd be willing to forego the Dharma decoder ring if you can knock a dollar off.)

• I am sorry if you perceived my post to be dismissive, as it was not my intention. I was addressing the question to the best of my limited wisdom and perhaps I am not as eloquent in reality as I am in my mind.

A 'real buddhist' does not exist, neither does a fake one. Asking to differentiate two nonexistent things or states of being is an excercise in futility.
  • Well, I didn't see that post as dismissive, just seemed like a bit of sense.

• TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    Lol, this thread will never go out of fashion
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    Looking back on it I have to admit it was a bit extreme to say that you have to completely refrain from alcohol to be Buddhist, I mean I'm sure many good Buddhists drink in moderation, however ones that indulge in it and get "wasted" aren't so much.
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    Songhill said:

Here is a real fake (now dead) Buddhist:

This dude is awesome. :rocker:
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Sadly Rama the awesome
    enlightened
    Budhhist monk, Zen Master, rock star and dude
    committed enlightened suicide from a drug OD
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Lenz

Please don't try this at home.

Oh dear. :bawl:

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Interesting bio @lobster

Bullet points of his teaching don't sound too bad
  • I think if you consider Buddhism (or any religion for that matter) a sort of club that you can belong to, and thus also be outside of, you're missing the point.
    Florian
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Chrysalid said:

I think if you consider Buddhism (or any religion for that matter) a sort of club that you can belong to, and thus also be outside of, you're missing the point.

It's up to the individual to develop a personal belief system.

• CheChe Veteran
    edited May 2013
    IMHO, some of the judgements, criticisms and egos in this thread are the antithesis of Buddhism.
    Namaste
This discussion has been closed.