Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Expose your ego HERE!

mindatriskmindatrisk Veteran
edited August 2012 in Buddhism Basics
As it says on the tin and as you wish to use it... expose your ego here. :)

Comments

• I'll start...

I posted something here this morning that at the time I completely overlooked, but then a few minutes after posting the familiar chirping of my ego rang out through my mind... y'know, the inner arguments etc. and I realised that what i'd post had been born of my ego, and not out of love.

I don't mind that as such, I can't be perfect, and it's good to be able to have experiences and be aware of the mistakes. What I posted is this...

Ooooh check out the arrogant closed mindedness on the lovely Buddhists! I said from the start that it mattered not what the information was but what it's impact upon you was. You are all here going to have a very, very difficult time proving anything that you believe, think or feel as true. EVERYTHING you think is at best a hopeful, educated guess. You cannot be certain of anything. You believe it because it made an impact on you... it helped you... it resonated with you... it made you think in different ways. Such arrogance! Do you not see that there are many people out there who would consider Buddhism to be the same outlandish claptrap? I thought I was amongst more reasoned, considerate people here, not mocking, patronising children. Hmmmmm.

If anyone read this and was upset or took offense then please accept my apologies. The only way that I can see fit to make amends to yourselves is to say sorry, and the only way I can see to make amends to myself is to have the humility to acknowledge my mistake and expose my ego workings - not out of public flogging, but because humiliation is the best antidote to its ignorance.

I know i've spoken a lot about living a life of loving-kindness and i'm fully aware that to speak so loudly about it requires I walk it impeccably... on this occasion I haven't done so, and I'll be thinking long and hard about what steps I need to take to correct this. As ever, I accept myself and love myself regardless, to beat myself up would be to to put the cherry on the top for the ego, but, again, for anyone I upset please know that I am sorry. In Lak Ech.
  • love or hate ego. makes it real.

beyond hope and fear. what ego is there beyond the convention we assert?
  • I have no ignorance..

and I also have never told a lie..

hehehehehehehehehehehehheh

Well I don't know what I can expose.. I notice attention seeking with me. If I go to check my e-mail, I like to have a message from a friend. If I post pics of my art or a thread in some forums then I desire responses.

Female attention screws me up to the maximum.

I beat my head against the wall with certain actions and then proceed to dig a hole deeper and deeper until I've found a place where I'm "comfortable" with calling it bottom.. then I'm willing to stop my neurotic behavior and sometimes it is only until I "feel" "better" and then I go right back to it.

Fear is present in my life.

Sometimes I don't want to wake up the next day, my thoughts work along the lines of I hope I don't want to wake up and I want this shit to be over with.

I accept the neurotic and good qualities I am currently able to see in myself.

I havent felt that I didn't want to wake up for a little while, that is a beautiful thing. I'm working on developing my understanding of reality and it helps me to want to remain.

When I reflect on all the hell I've put myself through, the thought of another being feeling that way or "better" or "worse" is unbearable. I truly don't want any being to suffer.

I am grateful that I have to maintain my own actions though and not everybody elses.

I'm glad to know limitations that I have in what I can and can't do to be of benefit and honestly there isn't much I can do to be of benefit because I'm what they call a very limited being.

Beneath the shallow depth of my neurotic tendencies I love all.
  • I know i've spoken a lot about living a life of loving-kindness and i'm fully aware that to speak so loudly about it requires I walk it impeccably... on this occasion I haven't done so, and I'll be thinking long and hard about what steps I need to take to correct this.
    Amends is not simply apologizing for the behavior.. it is not repeating such again. It is called a living amends.

Making a public or private acknowledgment of neuroses doesn't mean a damn thing if the person speaking it isn't living it.

If I steal your things then say sorry.. then do it again.. sorry.. do it again.. sorry.

I said I was sorry! Jeez.. I don't understand what the problem is.

• ToshTosh Veteran

Amends is not simply apologizing for the behavior.. it is not repeating such again. It is called a living amends.
    A fellow 12 Stepper?

• Amends is not simply apologizing for the behavior.. it is not repeating such again. It is called a living amends.
    A fellow 12 Stepper?

@Tosh

:D

Yarr Matey.

12 Steps led me to Buddhism! They go so hand in hand it is beautiful. The steps are an amazing set of tools. I find that one needs more than just that though.. Buddhism is perfection.. goes much deeper than the steps are able.

That is the true beauty of the steps imo is that they lead an individual to their own understanding of what works for them to better themselves.
  • No offense taken here.
  • None taken here either :)
  • I have no ignorance..

and I also have never told a lie..

hehehehehehehehehehehehheh

Well I don't know what I can expose.. I notice attention seeking with me. If I go to check my e-mail, I like to have a message from a friend. If I post pics of my art or a thread in some forums then I desire responses.

Female attention screws me up to the maximum.

I beat my head against the wall with certain actions and then proceed to dig a hole deeper and deeper until I've found a place where I'm "comfortable" with calling it bottom.. then I'm willing to stop my neurotic behavior and sometimes it is only until I "feel" "better" and then I go right back to it.

Fear is present in my life.

Sometimes I don't want to wake up the next day, my thoughts work along the lines of I hope I don't want to wake up and I want this shit to be over with.

I accept the neurotic and good qualities I am currently able to see in myself.

I havent felt that I didn't want to wake up for a little while, that is a beautiful thing. I'm working on developing my understanding of reality and it helps me to want to remain.

When I reflect on all the hell I've put myself through, the thought of another being feeling that way or "better" or "worse" is unbearable. I truly don't want any being to suffer.

I am grateful that I have to maintain my own actions though and not everybody elses.

I'm glad to know limitations that I have in what I can and can't do to be of benefit and honestly there isn't much I can do to be of benefit because I'm what they call a very limited being.

Beneath the shallow depth of my neurotic tendencies I love all.
    This was really heartfelt and touching to read. I am so glad you are in a better position now, and I know that if you continue to commit to such honest self-awareness and this life-transforming Buddhist path that you will only experience more and more happiness. Thanks for sharing this, you sound like a beautiful soul, and it sounds like you are beginning to see it too. :)
  • The core of the Buddha's teaching that I was talking of could fit on half of the last page of a Little Lulu comic book (you know, the page that usually contains an ad for X-ray vision glasses):
    the 4 Noble Truths
    the 8-fold Path
    and Karma, defined as actions having consequence.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited August 2012

A fellow 12 Stepper?

@Tosh

:D

Yarr Matey.

12 Steps led me to Buddhism! They go so hand in hand it is beautiful. The steps are an amazing set of tools. I find that one needs more than just that though.. Buddhism is perfection.. goes much deeper than the steps are able.

That is the true beauty of the steps imo is that they lead an individual to their own understanding of what works for them to better themselves.
    Snap! When you look at Steps 10, 11, and 12:

10 = mindfulness
    11 = prayer and meditation
    12 = ethical lifestyle and compassion for others

It is a 'Buddhist practise'.

• The core of the Buddha's teaching that I was talking of could fit on half of the last page of a Little Lulu comic book (you know, the page that usually contains an ad for X-ray vision glasses):
    the 4 Noble Truths
    the 8-fold Path
    and Karma, defined as actions having consequence.
    Indeed, and I appreciated what you posted in that thread, and I should have thanked you there instead of lunging at the more skeptically minded folk. You made a really good point, and in my view it is much less about the validity of the information and much more about how we use it. I am sure a lot of Buddhism is, in factual terms, superfluous, but is present because it offers something for the reader to make for themselves.

I used to LOVE reading about aliens and UFOs, it wasn't so much whether it was true or not, it was just the fact that it allowed me a much wider perspective of my life and existence - it humbled me, and it awoke me to the trivial life pursuits that I engaged in at the time, it made playing Playstation and smoking weed seem silly and futile. Reading those things was essential to my growth - not because it was real, but because it gave me something that I could make useful for my own growth... Much of which, I would reckon, is what Buddhist texts are about.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    I'll start...

I posted something here this morning that at the time I completely overlooked, but then a few minutes after posting the familiar chirping of my ego rang out through my mind... y'know, the inner arguments etc. and I realised that what i'd post had been born of my ego, and not out of love.

I don't mind that as such, I can't be perfect, and it's good to be able to have experiences and be aware of the mistakes. What I posted is this...

Ooooh check out the arrogant closed mindedness on the lovely Buddhists! I said from the start that it mattered not what the information was but what it's impact upon you was. You are all here going to have a very, very difficult time proving anything that you believe, think or feel as true. EVERYTHING you think is at best a hopeful, educated guess. You cannot be certain of anything. You believe it because it made an impact on you... it helped you... it resonated with you... it made you think in different ways. Such arrogance! Do you not see that there are many people out there who would consider Buddhism to be the same outlandish claptrap? I thought I was amongst more reasoned, considerate people here, not mocking, patronising children. Hmmmmm.

If anyone read this and was upset or took offense then please accept my apologies. The only way that I can see fit to make amends to yourselves is to say sorry, and the only way I can see to make amends to myself is to have the humility to acknowledge my mistake and expose my ego workings - not out of public flogging, but because humiliation is the best antidote to its ignorance.

I know i've spoken a lot about living a life of loving-kindness and i'm fully aware that to speak so loudly about it requires I walk it impeccably... on this occasion I haven't done so, and I'll be thinking long and hard about what steps I need to take to correct this. As ever, I accept myself and love myself regardless, to beat myself up would be to to put the cherry on the top for the ego, but, again, for anyone I upset please know that I am sorry. In Lak Ech.
    In all honesty I thought that was somewhat amusing. Not in a bad way, just found it... Cute? I'm not sure what the right word is.

We are all a work in progress and I have often found my talk bigger than my walk but we can work on that and it sounds like you're going in the right direction (not that I'm one to give directions).

Let's face it, Buddhism is diverse in belief but we can trancend our sectrarian differences if we have a mind for it.

I'd imagine we all take refuge in the 4 noble truths and the 8-fold path. The differences seem to lie in the expounding of the path and sometimes that can be frustrating but it is also a chance for us to see from other perspectives.

• None taken here either :)
    So graceful! Thank you to you and Lama. There was absolutely no offence meant at all - true that it was a little bit ego driven, but my intent was much more playful and just getting in the spirit of the banter. I'm not one to get too upset when someone knocks my alien peccadillo. :D
  • I'll start...

In all honesty I thought that was somewhat amusing. Not in a bad way, just found it... Cute? I'm not sure what the right word is.

We are all a work in progress and I have often found my talk bigger than my walk but we can work on that and it sounds like you're going in the right direction (not that I'm one to give directions).

Let's face it, Buddhism is diverse in belief but we can trancend our sectrarian differences if we have a mind for it.

I'd imagine we all take refuge in the 4 noble truths and the 8-fold path. The differences seem to lie in the expounding of the path and sometimes that can be frustrating but it is also a chance for us to see from other perspectives.

You are one to give directions! We all are! Everyone has something to offer, and by offering it in the spirit of generosity for people to take or leave as it resonates or not with them is, to me, a beautiful gesture of love. Can we afford to wait until we are perfect before sharing our gifts with others? I don't think so. You have wisdom, experiences, ideas... why not share them? Who knows who will benefit? I'm grateful that you shared with me and I appreciate it a lot. I am a work in progress, and my mistakes don't undermine what I say or think. The Dalai Lama himself has admitted to getting angry at times! Does that mean he should not speak of the dangers of anger? Of course not.

I have no problem making mistakes at all... in fact, I love making mistakes! My post in the other thread was a mistake. The intent was playful, but the execution may have betrayed some deeper resentments there, and it didn't end up reading as playful as i'd believed I was aiming for. So be it! I love and celebrate that I can apologise and be forgiven and experience that humility. At this stage in my path it is highly unlikely that I will do anything that will seriously harm someone, so I feel quite comfortable making mistakes because I feel that I can make (and live) my amends and learn a lot from it. So, thank you for your post. Please always share your views with me, your directions will always be welcomed here. :)