Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Intrinsic Motivation

zenffzenff Veteran
edited August 2012 in Diet & Habits
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-determination_theory
Intrinsic motivation refers to initiating an activity for its own sake because it is interesting and satisfying in itself, as opposed to doing an activity to obtain an external goal (extrinsic motivation)
Intrinsic motivation is a concept I come across also in my work (which is about collecting taxes). The idea is that when people are intrinsically motivated (i.e. to pay their taxes) it is counterproductive to reward or punish them. Introducing extrinsic motives undermines peoples’ intrinsic motivation.
It’s better to just recognize, acknowledge and confirm the intrinsic willingness people have already.

I thought about that when I received a badge on this forum.
I really try to be insightful, awesome, funny and all, believe it or not.
But I don’t want to be chasing badges; so the badge undermined my intrinsic motivation.

It’s the same with karma and rebirth. Part of why I don’t like to hear about them is that I usually want to be kind and compassionate already; simply because that’s how I feel. When people suggest I’m doing it for a reward; for a good rebirth; I resent that idea and want to go against it.
Again, it just undermines my intrinsic motivation.

Do you people recognize any of that?
Dakini

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    Who is the one chasing badges?
  • zenff said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-determination_theory
    Intrinsic motivation refers to initiating an activity for its own sake because it is interesting and satisfying in itself, as opposed to doing an activity to obtain an external goal (extrinsic motivation)
    Intrinsic motivation is a concept I come across also in my work (which is about collecting taxes). The idea is that when people are intrinsically motivated (i.e. to pay their taxes) it is counterproductive to reward or punish them. Introducing extrinsic motives undermines peoples’ intrinsic motivation.
    It’s better to just recognize, acknowledge and confirm the intrinsic willingness people have already.

I thought about that when I received a badge on this forum.
    I really try to be insightful, awesome, funny and all, believe it or not.
    But I don’t want to be chasing badges; so the badge undermined my intrinsic motivation.

It’s the same with karma and rebirth. Part of why I don’t like to hear about them is that I usually want to be kind and compassionate already; simply because that’s how I feel. When people suggest I’m doing it for a reward; for a good rebirth; I resent that idea and want to go against it.
    Again, it just undermines my intrinsic motivation.

Do you people recognize any of that?
    This is why I ignore the badge thing. I try to be compassionate because I believe that's the way the world should be. So I try to be the change I want to see in the world. I try to create a little compassionate world around me. Who needs extrinsic motivation? You do something because it's the right thing to do.

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    I don't view the badges as motivation at all, but perhaps positive reinforcement.
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    edited August 2012
    As I said in the other thread: The badges only represent what ever power you personally give them. They are just like ANYTHING else in life. If someone gives you the middle finger while you are driving, what power do you assign that? Does it consume you with anger? Jealousy? Fear? Rage? Contempt? Those would all be ideas that you personally assigned to the middle finger. Or what if someone smiles at you? Does it fill you with love? Lust? Joy? Happiness? It is still your choice what power or reaction you have to any stimulus.

CloudLotus21
  • Lotus21Lotus21 Indiana Explorer
    Since we are not in the kindergarten-for-adult class we should not attach too much significances to badges, perhaps. ;)
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    Yes, you’re right about that.
    I don’t have to ascribe any meaning to the message I receive, but the sender of the message probably does it.
    And of course it’s an ego thing to get excited about the message’s meaning in the first place.
    So I’ll survive and my intrinsic motivation may take a scratch, but will last.

I just think it is interesting to see what we are doing when we send such messages. We probably don’t want to send a message that is counterproductive unless the receiver has transcended his ego. We want to supply some extrinsic motivation.

Buddhist teachers could think about it.
    It is a mistake (imho) to treat Buddhist practitioners like children or dogs, and to try to train them with rewards and punishments. Also there’s no need to smack them with quotes from sutras.
    Instead of that the job of a teacher is to make the students aware of their own capacity. Students can learn to decide on the basis of their own intrinsic motivation to not do harm. That makes them stronger and less dependent.

The job of a teacher is to become superfluous but often – I believe – teachers do the opposite of that. Their pitfall is getting pompous about their knowledge and understanding and stressing that the Buddhist Path is slippery and that it can’t be walked without holding the hand of a teacher.
  • We had a thread discussing this when the badges first appeared. It was under the "New Buddhist" category.
  • Lotus21Lotus21 Indiana Explorer
    Buddhist teachers could think about it.
    It is a mistake (imho) to treat Buddhist practitioners like children or dogs, and to try to train them with rewards and punishments. Also there’s no need to smack them with quotes from sutras.
    Instead of that the job of a teacher is to make the students aware of their own capacity. Students can learn to decide on the basis of their own intrinsic motivation to not do harm. That makes them stronger and less dependent.

The job of a teacher is to become superfluous but often – I believe – teachers do the opposite of that. Their pitfall is getting pompous about their knowledge and understanding and stressing that the Buddhist Path is slippery and that it can’t be walked without holding the hand of a teacher.

Amen to that!