Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Living in the now is affecting my work.

edited August 2012 in Buddhism Basics
I thought I would like to share a conversation I had at work today with a fellow work colleague. I work in a retail environment, I am a part of a team of 4 regional managers that look after numerous stores, growing and developing young managers. I have really enjoyed my job, but of late I have been judged more and more on my so called lack of importance to attend to matters, and one colleague in particular needed to have a conversation with me today, how he felt that I was being dismissive in some of things he talks to me about or even requests he has asked me to do for him.

During the conservation I was sitting there listening to his frustrations, I was thinking compassionately how he was suffering and I had caused this in some way, which again made him feel I wasnt caring by the way I wasnt showing any real concern. I told him that I needed time to understand how he was feeling and would catch up tomorrow with him again, which he happily has agreed with.

So after processing and reflecting on the conversation I had today, I have realised the way I have become more and more aware of living in the now an not concerning my thoughts with the past and the future is affecting others, unfortunitly not in a positive way.

For example I had said to him 2 weeks ago when he asked who are you going to replace as manager in that store when Chris leaves, I said oh I don't know, I don't think that far ahead, Chris may not leave for another 2 to 3 months, and continued on bringing the conversation back into the now. Then the other day he said we may have to terminate one of the staff members in one of the stores, for making racists remarks, I said with compassion and sincerity oh did he, did he give a reason why he said it. I don't know I haven't spoken to him only heard it from one of the other staff, ok I said maybe we need to make sure it's not just gossip and again bought the conversation into the now.

The last month I have been thinking more and more of leaving my job, it's a very demanding job that has a lot of planning around what the If's. Also the amount of compassion I try and give daily to all my staff, leaves me exhausted and leaves with no compassion for myself or others outside of my workplace.

So am I being dismissive?

Am I being dismissive to his lack of understanding of what is causing his own suffering?

Do I need to elaborate more in these situations?

Would love to here anyone's thoughts or any advise you may have

Comments

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    I think your getting the wrong end of the stick Mindfull, Being in the now doesn't mean we Ignore what is going to come especially in relation to the jobs we do. It is better to be in the "NOW" with regards to what our mind is doing and if it is doing something Non virtuous we check it and correct it appropriately.

Compassion is defined as a mind that wishes for the elimination of suffering for others it is not a burden to carry around it is a joy and makes the mind feel light and peaceful.

The mind of Self cherishing is what actually causes you problems where as if you are more experienced with developing loving kindness and compassion the mind of self cherishing will be reduced and you will feel much better.

Can I ask where you receive your meditation instruction and which teacher you practice with ?
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    If you have a job, do your job -- that's Buddhism.
    If you have a job and fill your mind with "compassion" and "mindfulness," that's not doing your job.
    RebeccaSLostLightNevermindlobster
  • Mindfull said:

For example I had said to him 2 weeks ago when he asked who are you going to replace as manager in that store when Chris leaves, I said oh I don't know, I don't think that far ahead, Chris may not leave for another 2 to 3 months, and continued on bringing the conversation back into the now.

You're misunderstanding what "being in the now" is about. It means when you're doing a task, or meditating, you stay focussed on what you're doing. (the task, the breath, whatever). But all of us have to plan ahead. You need to compose your grocery list, to look at your earnings over the span of your career or your job so you can make wise money management choices for your future, you need to budget your monthly pay. The Buddha had to visit benefactors to raise money for his community of monks, to make sure their needs would be provided for. This is life. Being in the now doesn't mean postponing decisions about the future until the last minute, when the future moment becomes "now".

There's a balance to it all; stay focussed when you're performing a task, rather than allowing distractions, but when appropriate, plan for the future, and learn from the past.

There's also a balance between compassion for others and for self. If you let yourself burn out because you're always giving to others, what good will you be to others in the long run?

Seek the Middle Way. ;)

RebeccaScarolannDharmaMcBumlobster
  • You can not leave the here and now. Even if you are learning from the "past" and planning for the "future", it all happens here & now wherever you happened to be.

This realisation doesn't preclude planning for the imaginary future. Although the wise say " The future is uncertain", they continue to perform their duties.
    Jeffreylobster
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    As has already been said, you can't pretend in a job that the future isn't coming and that it doesn't matter. It does have to be dealt with, and in a business sense, the future is what matters. You just deal with what you can at the moment. For example, when we are working on our household budget, or grocery menu, we do that. We communicate about our plans for the future, we make our plan, and then we let it go. We don't worry about it at night, or think about it for days and days. We use the time we are using to plan and think about what we need to, we finish the task at hand and we move on. Sometimes being in the moment, means using that moment to plan for the future. It's impossible not to, even if you completely remove yourself from society, you still have to plan for the future by knowing what to plant in your garden, how much to plant to live through the winter, what supplies you will need at any given time.
  • hmm, I can see the issue here. It seems that others want confidence in your leadership and you are adjusting to not being so stressed by being in the future. As I practice living right here and now I work on not going off into stories, or as I have heard 'hope and regret'. So I know that I have to plan to get some transportation for my son for school since I will be at work. I can tell him that I am working on it, and even say some things I am considering, but I have to let him know that I am planning on taking care of it. With work it is hard because often there are so many limits to what you talk about. So in the case of looking for a replacement for an employee you may be able to the person asking that you don't have people you are considering yet however since it is many months away you have time to observe their work. Then you could even ask that person what qualities they would want to see.

Work and relationships are where mostof the work takes place. Often times we may change something big like our job and then find the same problems somewhere else. It seems that unles you have worked with the changes in yourself awhile then it is unclear if it is this particular job or something you are bringing with you to your job. If you can I would keep learning through this, (plus there is that crappy economy). You are certainly not being a horrible manager by caring and feeling compassion, remember the intention is what is really important, you are just in a refinement process.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited August 2012
    IMO, "living in the now" does not mean that you "don't think that far ahead". It really means that you don't "cling" to the past or the future. It means, IMO, that your personal happiness, contentment, etc, is not dependent on what has happened in the past or what will happen in the future. Or, you don't need the past to be a certain way or the future to be a certain way, in order to be happy, etc.

But not clinging to the past and future does not mean that you don't think about them or have no concern for them. If you have a job that requires planning for the what if's of the future, that does not prevent you from "being in the now".
    zenff
  • When planning for the future is part of the job description, you do your job. In a way, devoting yourself fully to the job and all its aspects is a way of being in the "now". Avoiding the part of the job that requires dealing with the future is escapism.
    DharmaMcBum
  • Sorry to say this, but trying to be in the "now" is more of a new age term than Buddhist. The now is just a freeze frame of samsara. All the nows that go by us will not add up to nirvana.

In your position, proper decision making skills are a must (you seem to have a good heart; that's a plus). A business swims or sinks depending on the process they have in place for making decisions (there are a number of them - you have to pick the right one). Managers, in fact, can make very poor decisions (and often do) being encumbered by certain cognitive biases, etc. Btw, my favorite decision making expert dude is Dr. Michael A. Roberto. You might enjoy his blog: http://michael-roberto.blogspot.com/

Don't leave your job.
  • Songhill said:

Sorry to say this, but trying to be in the "now" is more of a new age term than Buddhist.

We had a thread debating this. Stephen Batchelor says the Buddha never taught about being in the "now" or the present. He taught arising and ceasing, and mindfulness. Whatever you do, do it mindfully, whether that's planning for the future, washing dishes, or writing an earnings report (which would require visiting and analyzing the past).

Songhill said:

Sorry to say this, but trying to be in the "now" is more of a new age term than Buddhist. The now is just a freeze frame of samsara. All the nows that go by us will not add up to nirvana.

That is not entirely true IMO. Zen Masters are always talking about the "present moment". :)

• Live each moment as if you were carrying a hot bowl of soup. Meaning fully engaged and with full attention. That's all.
    DharmaMcBumEvenThird
  • Here's a related item I need help on. I want to avoid leaning, judging, comparing etc. in my personal life,but when it comes to TASKS, such as work,household chores and projects, these good-bad decernments and chosing are essential. How does one snap out of that judging mode? These two modaliities seem so entirely different,and MINDFULNESS within each isn't too hard once I'm deep into a "personal" or "task" mindset. However, the TASK mentality tends to invade,pollute the personal core of my life.
    Are there any tricks/devices to jumpstart a new mode of mindfulness that others perhaps use??
    Many thanks.
  • Further to my last, above....
    Zen counsels to just REGARD outside objects and situations, but with TASKS one needs to deeply analyze things.
    Again, the two modes and an effective,mindful, quick, transition is perplexing.
  • seeker242:
    That is not entirely true IMO. Zen Masters are always talking about the "present moment".
    Not really. Zen master Rinzai (C., Lin-chi) said:

“The pure light in a moment of awareness in your mind is the Buddha’s essence within you. The non-discriminating light in a moment of awareness in your mind is the Buddha's wisdom within you. The undifferentiated light in a moment of awareness in your mind is the Buddha's manifestation within you.”

For the average worldling their moment is a freeze frame of lightless samsara followed by another, forever. They never see the light because they are blinded by the here and now of impermanence, suffering and insubstantiality.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Songhill said:

Sorry to say this, but trying to be in the "now" is more of a new age term than Buddhist.

We had a thread debating this. Stephen Batchelor says the Buddha never taught about being in the "now" or the present. He taught arising and ceasing, and mindfulness. Whatever you do, do it mindfully, whether that's planning for the future, washing dishes, or writing an earnings report (which would require visiting and analyzing the past).
    I don't understand the distinction. Isn't mindfulness simply paying attention to whatever is occuring in the present moment, including various activities?
    edited August 2012
    Songhill said:

seeker242:

That is not entirely true IMO. Zen Masters are always talking about the "present moment".
    Not really. Zen master Rinzai (C., Lin-chi) said:

“The pure light in a moment of awareness in your mind is the Buddha’s essence within you. The non-discriminating light in a moment of awareness in your mind is the Buddha's wisdom within you. The undifferentiated light in a moment of awareness in your mind is the Buddha's manifestation within you.”

For the average worldling their moment is a freeze frame of lightless samsara followed by another, forever. They never see the light because they are blinded by the here and now of impermanence, suffering and insubstantiality.

Yes really!

"Life is available only in the present. That is why we should walk in such a way that every step can bring us to the here and the now." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh

“The past is gone, the future is not yet here, and if we do not go back to ourselves in the present moment, we cannot be in touch with life.” ~ Thich Nhat Hanh

"The so-called present is every man's now. When now we think a past and future, myriad times are the present. They are the now. The original nature of man is the present." ~Dogen Zenji, Shobogenzo, Daigo

“To live in peace and harmony, become yourself as you really are in the present moment as it really is.” ~ Dainin Katagiri Roshi

There are many others.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Zen master Rinzai (C., Lin-chi) said:

Interesting - is this contradicting the Theravadan idea that awakening requires insight into these 3 characteristics?
  • PedanticPorpoise:
    Interesting - is this contradicting the Theravadan idea that awakening requires insight into these 3 characteristics?
    Seeing the unconditioned is awakening. This is what Rinzai is alluding to when he says, "The pure light in a moment of awareness in your mind is the Buddha’s essence within you."

Those who believe the Buddha taught only the conditioned which is absent of self, finite, and painful are deluding themselves. Such a view, I must say, doesn't comport with the Vimanavatthu which, incidentally, is part of the suttapitaka.
    "And the Buddha, the rishi-bull, the guide, taught me of the impermanence of uprising and dukkha; of the unconditioned, of the cessation of dukkha, that are eternal; and of this path, not crooked, straight, auspicious.

When I heard (of) the Deathless place, the unconditioned, the Teaching of the Tathagata, the Unrivalled One, I was well and highly restrained in precepts, firm in the Dhamma taught by the Buddha, the most excellent of men.

When I know the dustless place, the unconditioned, taught by the Tathagata, the Unrivalled One, I right there reached the calm (supermundane - VvA 84) concentration. That same highest assurance was mine" (trans. Peter Masefield)
  • seeker242 :

In a moment we can pass through the gateless gate realizing the clear light Mind.
    "As your self-reflection grows deeper and deeper, the moment will surely come upon you when the spiritual flower will suddenly burst into bloom, illuminating the entire universe. The experience is incommunicable, though you yourselves know perfectly well what it is" (Szu-hsin Wu-shin of Huang-lung).
    In the same moment, we can continue our spiritual blindness which leads to another moment of samsara followed by many more such moments.
    Theswingisyellow
  • I don't understand how living in the now can affect your work. It's suppose to help with everything. How can we gather our best ideas from the future? How can we remember ideas far in the past?
  • There is a middle way in most things in life, the middle way is a teaching that you can find in many if the buddha teachings.
  • DharmaMcBumDharmaMcBum Spacebus Wheelman York, UK Veteran
    Silouan said:

Live each moment as if you were carrying a hot bowl of soup. Meaning fully engaged and with full attention. That's all.

This means although you are focused on each step as you take it, you are also looking ahead to see where your future steps should fall.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    @DharmaMcBum, look at the post date..... ;)
    DharmaMcBum
  • DharmaMcBumDharmaMcBum Spacebus Wheelman York, UK Veteran
    @federica Shoosh! Noone has noticed.... I was happily reading away and thought I'd comment with my thoughts. Maybe if I tiptoe away noone will see?
    EvenThird
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited January 2014
    It's a false distinction. When we plan we do itin the present.
    There is no choice.
    Despite Tolle the present is no more real than the past or future. all things arise in mutual dependance..
    ZenshinJeffreymisecmisc1
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited January 2014

Zen master Rinzai (C., Lin-chi) said:

Maybe not a contradiction. I take "blinded" meaning their clinging to their suffering however it manifests itself.
    Side note: isn't insubstantiality another word for impermenence? To me the three marks are dukkha, annata and aniccha. One's blindness and resistance to these truths only keeps the wheel turning. Maybe that was what he getting at. I don't know
  • ...is this contradicting the Theravadan idea that awakening requires insight into these 3 characteristics?

Is this assertion in the canon?