Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Anyone done a Fast? I am thinking Half-Day or Day Fast??

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited August 2012 in Diet & Habits
Either all fruit fast or only water fast? Any suggestions? Resources, Links, Ebooks?

Thanks Everyone,
Leon

Comments

• I once did a fast when I was 14. It was difficult but I did it. You just have to really understand why you are fasting. And remind yourself of that reason when you feel the urge to eat. Good luck! :thumbsup:
    DaltheJigsaw
  • Try a fast from bedtime to dinnertime the next day, for starters.

Helpful tip: if you get hungry, do slow, deep breathing exercises. Drink water. Fasts can be very cool. I used to do 3-day fasts (it's kind of a piece of cake after the first day or so, your body adjusts), and you get a spiritual high from it.
    DaltheJigsawBonsaiDougTelly03
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Thank you both!
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    LeonBasin said:

Thank you both!

What is your purpose?

• @LeonBasin
    thank U for reminding me about fasting in this moring
    i thought yesterday i would fast whole day today

i go (try to go) fasting whole day
    i think liquid is allowed (tea, water)
    LeonBasin said:

Thank you both!

What is your purpose?

To clean my system and to start, "over."
    upekka said:

@LeonBasin
    thank U for reminding me about fasting in this moring
    i thought yesterday i would fast whole day today

i go (try to go) fasting whole day
    i think liquid is allowed (tea, water)

Welcome!
  • RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited August 2012
    I have considered fasting before, but never did it because I couldn't get my intention past dropping a few lbs quickly :lol: I don't understand fasting, or what its purpose is.

Actually, on that note, didn't the Buddha say to avoid fasting because he was a strict ascetic for a while and realized it was dumb so gave it up? - Not a direct quote lol
  • you can try a half fast, but for your first foray into fasting i would be careful do with with others more experienced or at least get some guidance. it really is a truly great experience though. cleansing literally and metaphorically. its like a small rebirth. i dont think its a mistake it shows up in most major religions.
  • edited August 2012
    RebeccaS said:

I don't understand fasting, or what its purpose is.

@Rebecca5 ta-da! >>>

DaltheJigsaw
    you can try a half fast, but for your first foray into fasting i would be careful do with with others more experienced or at least get some guidance. it really is a truly great experience though. cleansing literally and metaphorically. its like a small rebirth. i dont think its a mistake it shows up in most major religions.
    Yea, I have done 48 hour fast before. But that was a few years ago.
  • I have been fasting one or two days once a week for the last six or so months.

I find it really beneficial on a number of levels and would recommend it to anyone.

It's also one of the few things that has lots of scientific evidence, theory and history supporting a wide range of benefits.

However, one caveat, it has not made me fully enlightened yet; I reckon for that you need to go at least 3 days;p

• BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    Follow Dakini's advice and you'll have an easy time of it. It really is easier than it sounds; water and meditation help a lot. After just a 24 hr. fast you'll feel great.

Good luck and much meta.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    I usually fast while I'm asleep... :p
    WonderingSeeker
  • The Orthodox Church has periods of prescribed fasting throughout the year that both the lay and monastic are expected to follow. However, the monastics do not eat meat year round and will go beyond the standard prescription of the Church, but like the lay person, they are under the guidance of their spiritual father.

We spend approximately half the year fasting. Some years a little more. Children, the elderly, and those with medical issues are not required to fast, but they find other means of fasting.

The severity of the fasting depends upon the liturgical season, but generally speaking these are periods where abstinence from all flesh meats, dairy products, wine, oil, and martial relations is observed. The weekends are typically relaxed to allow wine and oil, and some fast periods might include fish on certain days such as during the Advent (Christmas) fast or twice in Great Lent in celebration of a particular feast of importance. These prolonged fasts are in preparation for a great feast.

The week before Great Lent is called clean week where beginning on Monday through Wednesday abstinence from food and water is prescribed for 3 days, a Lenten meal is allowed Thursday evening, clean again on Friday, and then Saturday a more regular eating cycle is observed, but with restrictions. Those that become weak during clean week are permitted to take some juice and bread for sustenance. Great Lent is the most difficult fast to maintain of the year, and ends in the most important feast of Pascha(Passover) or Easter.

Fasting is a spiritual discipline where we are to focus less on worldly concerns, and it strengthens us in battling the passions or afflictive emotions, and the money we are not spending on ourselves is to be given to the less fortunate.

When the body says jump we become less inclined to say how high. There are health benefits too. I used to be on blood pressure medicine, but don’t need it anymore and my blood pressure is as it was when I was a young soccer player.

Body, mind, and soul are indeed one
  • I usually fast while I'm asleep... :p

Really? So on which meal do you break the fast? (I'm on a roll!)

• Surely breakfast is break-fast no matter what time it is? In other words whenever you start eating again after a sustained period is the time when fasting ends.
    I have been fasting one or two days once a week for the last six or so months.

I find it really beneficial on a number of levels and would recommend it to anyone.

It's also one of the few things that has lots of scientific evidence, theory and history supporting a wide range of benefits.

However, one caveat, it has not made me fully enlightened yet; I reckon for that you need to go at least 3 days;p

Lol! "on Englightment," but I was wondering about the fasting you do. Is it water based?
  • LeonBasin said:

Lol! "on Englightment," but I was wondering about the fasting you do. Is it water based?

I have done various: water, green tea and carrot/beetroot juice and will do them all again. Just water is hardest but its not that hard and the second day isnt proportionally harder either.

One day Id like to go a week, just to try it, but I think that's pretty hard core.

Enjoy

DaltheJigsaw
  • Would a fast and a cleanse be the same thing? A lot of talk about "3 day cleanse" or "3 day detox" are these just the same as a fast?
    Are there any good on line resources to research this? In case I wanted to try it? I've looked in the past but it just appears that someone wants me to buy their juice for $90.
  • zsczsc Explorer
    I want to try fasting on Buddhist holidays. No meat, two meals a day, water only is the most I'm willing to do right now. Tara's (Avalokitesvara, Kuan Yin, etc) fast is coming up on Oct. 22, give or take a couple days.
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Hey @LeonBasin yep I have done many a fast, I do them on a regular basis. I read recently on the BBC news website that fasting actually can benefit your health if done correctly. I find it rather easy, if you put your mind to it you can get through the day without food no problem. There is the initial hunger and then for me at least a kind of sick feeling that lasts maybe 30-60 minutes, then after that you do not feel hungry. I assume you do again later on in the fast, maybe a couple of days in, but I have only done 2 days max.
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    Here's a question: Anyone know why it's called a "fast"? I mean, I just did one recently for ten days (the Master Cleanse) and it did not go by "fast". I felt like it took for-freakin'- ever.

It was, however, a great experience for multiple reasons. Good luck @LeonBasin.