Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Nichiren and Vegetarianism

PremaSagarPremaSagar Veteran
edited August 2012 in Diet & Habits
Did Nichiren Daishonin ever mention vegetarianism as being obligatory for priests ?
Did he ever say anything about vegetarianism ?

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    If you are a lay Buddhist, why are you wondering what a priest can eat? Intending to become a priest?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    "Nichiren Buddhism today likewise de-emphasises vegetarianism. However, Nichiren himself practiced vegetarianism." from Wikipedia. I am sure you could Google this to get more results.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Did Nichiren Daishonin ever mention vegetarianism as being obligatory for priests ?
    Did he ever say anything about vegetarianism ?
    Probably best to ask them: http://www.sgi.org/buddhism/life-of-nichiren.html
  • Just so you are aware the SGI or "Value Creation Society" was the lay organization of Nichiren Shoshu. They were excommunicated in the early 90's for heresy against the the treasure of the priesthood.
  • Oh, as a former lay Nichiren Shoshu Buddhist there were no dietary restrictions. Just a modest approach. I do recall the chief priest having a beer and eating sushi at one of our picnics too.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Just so you are aware the SGI or "Value Creation Society" was the lay organization of Nichiren Shoshu. They were excommunicated in the early 90's for heresy against the the treasure of the priesthood.
    Yes, there seem to be lot of political issues involved.
  • It all boils down to what organization believes it has the "Heritage of the Water of the Law", and the authority to transcribe the Gohonzon.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    Nichiren was a vegetarian. But when I practiced with the SGI, I was the only vegetarian in my group.

"One who kills a mere ant will fall into hell, to say nothing of those who kill fish or birds." - Letter to Akimoto (WND V1 P1019)

"The first of the five precepts is not to take life, and the first of the six paramitas is that of almsgiving. The ten good precepts, the two hundred and fifty precepts, the ten major precepts, and all the other rules of conduct begin with the prohibition against the taking of life.

Every being, from the highest sage on down to the smallest mosquito or gnat, holds life to be its most precious possession. To deprive a being of life is to commit the gravest kind of sin.

When the Thus Come One [Buddha] appeared in this world, he made compassion for living things his basis. And as an expression of compassion for life, to refrain from taking life and to provide sustenance for living beings are the most important precepts.
    " - The Blessings of the Lotus Sutra (WND V1 P667)
    matthewmartin