Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Will Buddhism lose its value later on?

edited August 2012 in Buddhism Today
As science uncovers more and more aspects of the truth, religous ideas became redundant. For instance, when the principle behind lightning was understood, the god of lightning became irrelevant. When epilepsy was understood, demonic possession became an unnecessary explanation.

Point is, as science marches on, religion suffers one defeat after another and if at all religion is still around it is mainly because of politics, culture, tradition etc. plus many religions have managed to survive by cleverly altering their ideas in light of the latest scientific theories. Anyway, my point is, is Buddhism only relevant as long as there is no technology (either in the form of a pill or whatever else) to fill our void? If, for example, some technology could cure my stress, give me abundant happiness (even better than drugs), wouldnt meditation, yoga etc. become redundant?

So what I am saying is, is Buddhism (like religions of the past) just filling a temporary gap in knowledge, and once technology fills that gap ... will it also vanish?

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I think that depends on how you see Buddhism (or any other religion).
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    I don't think anything humans invent will ever quite match up to the full enlightenment that is the final release from craving and clinging. Even if we have a happiness pill, we're going to be clinging to that... and perhaps it stops working or something. Or we still don't act properly because we're happy but still delusional, so we're still causing problems to other species of life and to the Earth itself.
    Silouan
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Buddhist practice is less about what we know and more about what we do ... so I would say as a question it is a moot point.
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    edited August 2012
    How about if science marches on, and finds that meditation is the best thing for humans, and that other parts of Buddhism are totally in line with science, and the Buddha was some old-school scientist-of-the-mind who actually got it right 2500 years ago?
    That seems more likely to me than science proving Buddhism "wrong", or making it redundant.
    Cloudcarolann
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    music said:

As science uncovers more and more aspects of the truth, religous ideas became redundant. For instance, when the principle behind lightning was understood, the god of lightning became irrelevant. When epilepsy was understood, demonic possession became an unnecessary explanation.

I think you are overestimating scientific accomplishment. Still some aspects of Lightning remains mysterious and unexplained for an example. But anyway I understand what you are getting at.
    music said:

Point is, as science marches on, religion suffers one defeat after another and if at all religion is still around it is mainly because of politics, culture, tradition etc. plus many religions have managed to survive by cleverly altering their ideas in light of the latest scientific theories. Anyway, my point is, is Buddhism only relevant as long as there is no technology (either in the form of a pill or whatever else) to fill our void? If, for example, some technology could cure my stress, give me abundant happiness (even better than drugs), wouldnt meditation, yoga etc. become redundant?

So what I am saying is, is Buddhism (like religions of the past) just filling a temporary gap in knowledge, and once technology fills that gap ... will it also vanish?

Short answer is no and yes.

No because Buddhism is no religion trying to explain something that science can explain better. That which Buddhism explaines is already explained by Buddhism to its fullest potential.

Yes because if people are too well of they will not find the motivation to cultivate. That is what buddhism explains that there must be a mixture of pain and pleasure in your experience to make it possible to cultivate. Through Science we might accomplish too good a world for cultivating.

/Victor

Silouan
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    music said:

As science uncovers more and more aspects of the truth, religous ideas became redundant.

For instance, when the principle behind lightning was understood, the god of lightning became irrelevant.

When epilepsy was understood, demonic possession became an unnecessary explanation.

my point is, is Buddhism only relevant as long as there is no technology (either in the form of a pill or whatever else) to fill our void? If, for example, some technology could cure my stress, give me abundant happiness (even better than drugs), wouldnt meditation, yoga etc. become redundant?

Science aims to be objective but in doing so employs a fiction - so though an abstract 'truth' is created to strive towards, there is no guarantee that there is such a truth...

Some facets of 'lightning' are understood but not sufficient to state there is no god of lightning - same with demonic possession.

The principles that uphold religion also lend support to the foundations of science.

There is nothing currently known that overtly precludes an understanding of all facets of life - if we achieve this then I suppose buddhism will renegotiate its place along the way - this may not necessarily lead to redundancy - I do think however that religion and science would cease being different disciplines in such a scenario...
    Silouan
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    Moved to Modern Buddhism.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    music said:

If, for example, some technology could cure my stress, give me abundant happiness (even better than drugs), wouldnt meditation, yoga etc. become redundant?

Depends on why you are doing it IMO. If you are only doing it to feel good, then probably yea. But if you are doing it to become a Buddha and escape samsara, probably not.

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Not at all Buddhism is the only system that actually deals with the underlying problems of suffering. It shall always be relevant. :)
  • SileSile Veteran
    music said:

If you'd predicted a pill which gave people true happiness--unlimited compassion, wisdom realizing emptiness-- I'd say maybe. But from a Buddhist perspective at least, there's no such thing as a perfect happiness that is rooted in concern only for oneself, especially in conditioned existence where all things change. The pill you're really suggesting then is one which lures people into thinking everything's okay and then they die. Those pills already exist ;)

But if you found a pill that stopped all change and suffering, for every sentient being (not just for ourselves), then yes, Buddhism would no longer be necessary, if the pill were available for every sentient being of all six realms; once everyone had taken his/her/its pill, we'd be done.

Hmm...how do you feed a naga or jellyfish a pill..but anyway....

Lotus21
  • I believe the Buddha himself referred to his teaching as a raft. Once you have used it to cross the river you no longer need to carry it around. So, when humanity as a whole achieves enlightenment, perhaps the dharma will be redundant.
    MinusHumanityPatr
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    As science uncovers more objective truths, it may make superstitious thinking and dogma irrelevant, but it does not make belief irrelevant. Things like finding our own personal nirvana/enlightenment and ending suffering will not cease because of scientific process. At least in my opinion.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    @music -- In one sense, Buddhism is constructed in such a way that it will, by its own encouragement, self-destruct. That, so to speak is the point: Reach 'the other shore' and leave the raft behind.

Whether Buddhism is a religion or not is a question better left to long nights of imposing discussion among people drinking lots and lots of beer. Some say yes. Some say no. Waitress! Another pitcher over here, please!

But as to the central question of whether scientific discovery will leave Buddhism in the dust, I think the answer is an obvious no. Science is aimed in the direction of intellectual and emotional conclusions ... things to hold onto for whatever period of time. And such conclusions are based in the past -- a time frame that no one can grasp. The fact that appreciations (of a flat earth, witches in Salem, etc.) come and go is evidence that science is bound to a world of limitation.

Buddhism does not exclude science (as some religions might). Science can be a very good thing and Buddhism acknowledges such potential good. But Buddhism's net is a bit wider. As a practical (as distinct from believing) point of view, it is not limited. Buddhism speaks to the present moment in which anyone, scientist or idjit, might find him- or herself.

Think about it: No matter how smart anyone might be, still they may find themselves suffering or experiencing a sense of something unsatisfactory or uncertain in their lives. Science invites us to out-think our problems. But out-thinking Buddhism is not possible because thought or emotion are as limited as science.

The Hindu swami Vivekananda once observed, "The mind [he meant intellect] is a good servant and a poor master." A good servant and a good tool, but not the sure-fire elixir that will lay uncertainty to rest. Vivekananda's observation, to the extent anyone is willing to credit it, does not mean any of us has to run out and crank up the God Machine. Just because intellect and emotion may play second fiddle in this life does not mean "God" needs to play first violin, as many religions may assert.

What it does mean is that intellect and emotion are not the be-all and end-all that most of us are habituated to thinking. This is hard to credit from the point of view of a fine-tuned intellect or a feel-good emotional palace. If my long-standing habit is to 'think things through,' then naturally Buddhism is something I can think through, know and reach a conclusion about. I am the master of my fate, right? But then life throws us one curve ball or another and the master's mastery is thrown into question.

OK ... if anyone is willing to credit that intellect and emotion only reach so far and no further and if Buddhism provides a beckoning hand, then who or what IS the good master, to use Vivekananda's terminology? Is it "God" or "enlightenment" or "the ineffable" or "emptiness" ... who or what is the good master?

This is a question that is posed differently by each individual, but the question remains unanswered without experiential proof -- the kind of proof that intellect and emotion cannot provide. And in Buddhism, one recommended course of action is to meditate ... literally, sit down, shut up, sit still, and focus the mind. And does this course of action provide the answer to who the good master might be, the answer to what it is that stands at ease and free and outside the confines of intellect and emotion? The only way to know if meditation works is to try it. Experimenting on lab rats won't do the trick. Doing meditation is a decision and a choice and there is no one and nothing (including intellect and emotion) that can do it for you. You won't go to heaven if you do it (a religious paradigm) and you won't go to hell if you don't (another religious paradigm). It's just a quite scientific approach to a problem that science can never answer: Me. You. Us... the stuff that will be around no matter how long science may ply its wonderful trade.

Sorry for all the blather.
    MaryAnneSile
  • SonghillSonghill Veteran
    edited August 2012
    music:
    Science aims to be objective but in doing so employs a fiction - so though an abstract 'truth' is created to strive towards, there is no guarantee that there is such a truth...
    Well said. Longitudinal and latitudinal lines are fictions. They are useful fictions, but fictions nevertheless. Mathematics is a fiction. There are no real entities like a point or a line or vector space. When we examine what "mass" is, we can't really define it. We might say mass is a quantity of matter. But then what is matter? Saying that matter is the substance of something physical like an electron or a proton does not shed any light on that substance. The same is with "gravity." These terms are fictions, albeit useful.

The physical sciences are little more than scaffolding placed against X. The only thing that is growing larger is the scaffolding. X is still a mystery.

But let's not forget that Buddhism, too, is a science if by science we mean: "The state or fact of knowing; knowledge or cognizance of something specified or implied" (Oxford English Dictionary). The science of Buddhism goes much deeper than the useful fictions of our physical sciences. It penetrates through the very veil of phenomena. It comes to know the very substance of all compositions, both mental and physical.
    “There is the ‘Mind-only,’ there are no objects to be seen; when there are no objects to see, Mind is not born; and this is called by myself and others the Middle Way. ~ Lankavatara Sutra
    JasonVictorious
    edited August 2012

But let's not forget that Buddhism, too, is a science if by science we mean: "The state or fact of knowing; knowledge or cognizance of something specified or implied" (Oxford English Dictionary). The science of Buddhism goes much deeper than the useful fictions of our physical sciences. It penetrates through the very veil of phenomena. It comes to know the very substance of all compositions, both mental and
    I got to say it again! Amen!

Finally somebody got the Illusion of Science pegged down. :)
  • answer for OP

No, never

because

science is worldly

Buddha's Teaching is world beyond
    SileRebeccaSVictorious
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    @upekka, Nah Buddha's teaching isn't world beyond. If it was world beyond then it wouldn't apply to us here and now. It's here and now we suffer, here and now we put an end to suffering. Rather its aim is "beyond the world", meaning it takes us out of this craving/clinging and self-identifying mode of being that is attached to worldly things.
  • @cloud
    if we here and now still we suffer
    if we here and now we are in NEP

Buddha's Teaching is world beyond means
    Vimutti
    which is beyond NEP

:)
  • jlljll Veteran
    What is the difference between conventional reality vs ultimate reality?
    jll said:

I think for a buddhist the answer would either be "nothing" or "everything important". Maybe a question for another thread?

/Victor
  • Cloud:
    Nah Buddha's teaching isn't world beyond. If it was world beyond then it wouldn't apply to us here and now.
    I take it that you've not see this passage from the Majjhima-Nikâya.

"As there is indeed a world beyond, if anyone has the conception that there is not a world beyond, it is a false conception of his....As there is indeed a world beyond, if he convinces others that there is not a world beyond, that convincing of his is against true dhamma, and because of that convincing which is against true dhamma, he is exalting himself and disparaging others" (trans. I.B. Horner, Apannaka sutta, M 60).

• SileSile Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Songhill said:

Cloud:

Nah Buddha's teaching isn't world beyond. If it was world beyond then it wouldn't apply to us here and now.
    I take it that you've not see this passage from the Majjhima-Nikâya.

"As there is indeed a world beyond, if anyone has the conception that there is not a world beyond, it is a false conception of his....As there is indeed a world beyond, if he convinces others that there is not a world beyond, that convincing of his is against true dhamma, and because of that convincing which is against true dhamma, he is exalting himself and disparaging others" (trans. I.B. Horner, Apannaka sutta, M 60).

I think @Cloud was saying (and I agree) is that the Buddha's teachings--the medicine--is for beings in this "world," i.e. beings in conditioned existence. If we were already in the world-beyond (i.e. completely free of delusion) we wouldn't need any teachings.

@upekka's concise observation that Buddha's teaching is world beyond can be parsed both ways (that the teachings are beyond the world, or that their aim is beyond the world) so we'll have to leave it to @upekka to elaboriate if s/he wants to, or just let us koan it around ;)
  • Buddha's Teaching leads us to world beyond (beyond the world)

if we follow the Norble Eightfold Path as worldling (through insight meditation) we will be able to come to the Noble Right View

once one gains the Noble Right View/Sotapanna/First stage of the path to Nibbana one becomes a Noble Deciple (one of the Eight Type of Noble Deciples)
    this is where one sees Nibbana (Nirvana)

(in suttas it says, sakkaya dhitti, viccikicca, seelabbatha paramasa is vanished from this point onwards)

from this point onwards one knows what Buddha tried to Teach us (Dhamma that is in front of us but we can not see because of our ignorance)

this is world beyond or beyond world :)

without Buddha's Teaching no one can see world beyond or beyond world

So science is inferior to Buddha's Teaching always and EVER

one thing more

seeing Nibbana is not that one is with Nibbana

one who see Nibbana has much more things to do to be with Nibbana
    however he knows exactly what s/he should do
    s/he does not need to depend on others

jll said:

"Things are not what they seem. Nor are they otherwise." -- Surangama Sutra

• Sile: I think the idea that the Buddha's teachings "is for beings in this world" needs to be restated. Strictly speaking, the path (maggo) the Buddha taught is for current-entrants (sotapanna) not people of the world of puthujjana (ordinary people). Puthujjanas never become arahants. The canon is very clear about this. Those who have had sotapatti see the unconditioned. They can cross over. They go beyond.

Granted that puthujjanas or the worldly have the potential to become current-enterers, the sad fact is they are not. No amount of dumbing down the teaching is going to save them. On their own, they must personally behold the unconditioned; only then do they enter the path. It ain't easy.

"Few among people are those who reach the farther shore (pâragâmino): the other people here run along (this) shore" (Dhammapada, 85).
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Songhill said:

Sile: I think the idea that the Buddha's teachings "is for beings in this world" needs to be restated. Strictly speaking, the path (maggo) the Buddha taught is for current-entrants (sotapanna) not people of the world of puthujjana (ordinary people). Puthujjanas never become arahants. The canon is very clear about this. Those who have had sotapatti see the unconditioned. They can cross over. They go beyond.

Granted that puthujjanas or the worldly have the potential to become current-enterers, the sad fact is they are not. No amount of dumbing down the teaching is going to save them. On their own, they must personally behold the unconditioned; only then do they enter the path. It ain't easy.

"Few among people are those who reach the farther shore (pâragâmino): the other people here run along (this) shore" (Dhammapada, 85).

But both current-entrants and ordinary people are beings in this world.

Cloud
  • Thanks for the replies.

Before science gave us the washing machine, we had to depend on our arms and legs ... involved a lot of effort and sweat to get things done.

Now we have to depend on our will ... expend a lot of effort to be mindful. But once technology ... well, you get the idea.
  • Music:

Science had nothing to do with the washing machine. History tells us the Shakers invented a prototype washing machine called a wash mill (1858). Shakers were great inventors. They invented things like the apple peeler, metal pen nibs, the flat broom (I was at the Shaker village and watched them being made). The circular saw (invented by a woman), waterproof and wrinkle-free cloth, a metal chimney cap that blocked rain, and improved on the plow.

The Shakers were quite remarkable. They lived to be almost twice as old as the average American in the 19th century. They loved and respected children. Besides the Swedish, they made furniture for children (yep, little potties, beds and chairs). Their system of government was way ahead of the times. The only religious symbol they had was the tree (bodhi tree?). I have always envisioned a Shaker like community of Buddhists. Shakers are well worth studying.
    Sile
    music said:

Thanks for the replies.

Before science gave us the washing machine, we had to depend on our arms and legs ... involved a lot of effort and sweat to get things done.

Now we have to depend on our will ... expend a lot of effort to be mindful. But once technology ... well, you get the idea.

Oh goody! A machine to do my thinking for me and perhaps emote as well. I think the Republicans might like that. :)

Vastmind
  • There will be a dark age for Buddhism; in fact, I think I have read Buddhism will like it disappeared in India. The dhamma however will be there, whether you like it vior not. It is just like gravity. You may introduce weightlessness but somehow gravity is not destroyed.
  • footiam said:

There will be a dark age for Buddhism; in fact, I think I have read Buddhism will like it disappeared in India. The dhamma however will be there, whether you like it vior not. It is just like gravity. You may introduce weightlessness but somehow gravity is not destroyed.

There's going to be a 'dark age' coming for ALL religions, not just Buddhism. Eventually, the concept of 'formal religion' will be replaced with a more science-based understanding of how the world and universe 'works' and a spirituality of connection ....
    Meanwhile the religious myths, rigidity and dogma that serves to control and/or soothe human fears will dissipate.

I don't think I'll see that end result in my lifetime, nor in my grand-children's lifetime.... but it will happen.
    I'm feeling hopeful anyhow, because we can see it happening now; just getting started really- more and more people around the world rejecting the notion of blind faith, resisting the 'need' to let religion infiltrate politics (and vice versa). Other people see this happening too, and that's why the frantic backlash from religious/political nutbags (right-wing extremist Republicans and T-baggers) seems to be at a fevered pitch lately.

I think the world will be better off in the long run.

music
    footiam said:

There will be a dark age for Buddhism; in fact, I think I have read Buddhism will like it disappeared in India. The dhamma however will be there, whether you like it vior not. It is just like gravity. You may introduce weightlessness but somehow gravity is not destroyed.

In one sense, Buddhism may already be in its dark age. The countries where people who claim Buddhism as their religion make up over half of the population only include:

Thailand -- 95%
    Cambodia -- 90%
    Burma -- 88%
    Bhutan -- 75%
    Sri Lanka -- 70%
    Tibet -- 65%
    Laos -- 60%
    Vietnam -- 55%
    Japan -- 50%

MaryAnne said:

There's going to be a 'dark age' coming for ALL religions, not just Buddhism. Eventually, the concept of 'formal religion' will be replaced with a more science-based understanding of how the world and universe 'works' and a spirituality of connection ....
    Meanwhile the religious myths, rigidity and dogma that serves to control and/or soothe human fears will dissipate.

I'd say more of a combination of formal religion being replaced by:
    1. Science-based understanding
    2. Personal/individualized spiritual beliefs

MaryAnne
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited September 2012
    MaryAnne said:

I'm reminded again of part of Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche's quote from the other thread.

He gives the second dharma seal, "All emotions are painful," and explains: "Many religions worship things like love with celebration and songs. Buddhists think, 'This is all suffering.'”

• @vinlyn

" 2. Personal/individualized spiritual beliefs "

That's exactly what I meant...
    I should have included the words "personal/individual" before spirituality of connection.

Thanks for being clearer :)
    MaryAnne said:

@vinlyn

I should have included the words "personal/individual" before spirituality of connection.

In a lot of issues, we seem to have relatively common views. Guess we're the bad boys / girls on the site.

• vinlyn said:

MaryAnne said:

@vinlyn

In a lot of issues, we seem to have relatively common views. Guess we're the bad boys / girls on the site.

I've noticed that too. ;)
    You know, I've always said, with age comes the ability, -no, the necessity- to cut through much of Life's (and people's) BS ... and just get to the heart of the matter and realize that Practicality begins to trump 'romanticism' in most areas of life.

I guess most of the time we're just two old peas in a pod..... ? LOL
    MaryAnne said:

I've noticed that too. ;)
    You know, I've always said, with age comes the ability, -no, the necessity- to cut through much of Life's (and people's) BS ... and just get to the heart of the matter and realize that Practicality begins to trump 'romanticism' in most areas of life.

I guess most of the time we're just two old peas in a pod..... ? LOL

Although, I always thought you were relatively young.

• 56. -- a little younger than you (If I'm remembering correctly) but not by that much....
    However, anyone who knows me would probably agree that I have been 'old' since I'm about 10!
    But I've always been fun - and a bit irreverent, too! ;) LOL