Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

If there is no "self," then what determines a persons actions?

BoatSBoatS Explorer
edited August 2012 in Buddhism Basics
It is taught in Buddhism that there is no "self," but it is rather an idea and perception that you have created throughout your life. But say that a person is speaking to another person and is mindful of their actions and words. What determines these "mindful" words and actions if it is not previous experiences? How does one mindfully choose the what to say/do when their are limitless options? I feel completely lost. For example:

When I am mindful of my actions and words in day-to-day conversation and interaction, I find that sometimes I do not know what to say because I see limitless options ranging from - witty, compassionate, caring, neutral, etc. I freeze up, and cannot decide how I want to precede. I used to just react and respond how I saw fit, but now I witness what I was going to say and perceive the impact of those words/actions. It almost feels as if I am not be genuine to my true desire/self, because a lot of times I'm altering what I would normally say. It also feels a bit manipulative since I intentionally choose my actions.

Your thoughts,

BoatS

Comments

• All human activity arises from conditioning, as you point out. Mindfulness brings the operation of this conditioning into explicit awareness, as you have observed. This slows its operation down, allowing consideration of its consequences and the option for it to halt and allow action to arise from different conditioning which could lead to better results. When you feel that this halting has led you to be untrue to yourself, that is an opportunity for insight practice, because it indicates that you identify with the conditioning. When you feel that you are being manipulative, that's an opportunity to connect to loving-kindness, because it indicates that you feel separated from aspects of your experience (subject/object duality.)

Loving-kindness is easier to practice than insight for most people, so you might want to start there. If there are situations which typically trigger a sense of manipulation, try to go into them with a sense of warmth, generosity, appreciation and love for the objects of manipulation.
    VastmindBoatSpersonSeaOfTranquility
  • "It is by the self (attanâ) that evil is done, it is by the self that one is impure,
    It is by the self that one avoids evil, it is by the self that one is purified,
    Purity and impurity depend on the very self (paccattam), no one could purify another" (Dhammapada 165).
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    BoatS said:

What determines these "mindful" words and actions if it is not previous experiences?

That's hitting the nail on the head. Previous experiences change your perspective and knowledge, and are sometimes held as memory. When you're mindful of an experience, there is awareness from that perspective combined with your discriminatory knowledge of the content of the experience. It's all dependent or interdependent, there's no "soul" or "self" needed for there to be action. All that's needed is consciousness, contact, and intention to act based on how the mind processes that event.

So if you see a fruit you've previously eaten and didn't like, you'll recognize the fruit and the fact that you don't like it and a feeling of displeasure will arise. Then depending on you, you'll take some action... wrinkle your face up, avert your eyes, pick it up and throw it. It's all in-the-moment, but your past experiences do have value.
  • Great answers. We mean there's no permanent, independent "self" but obviously you're sitting there reading these words. That is, if your consciousness, the focus of your attention, is on the words. If not, you can be sitting there, looking at the computer screen, but your mind can be miles and years away.

Bringing your consciousness to the present, being "mindful", doesn't mean analyzing what you're doing. That's called "checking" in our school. Mindfulness is being aware of what you're doing, that's all. You're checking all possible actions and trying to choose the best one. That leaves your mind tied into knots.
    SeaOfTranquility
  • BoatSBoatS Explorer
    edited August 2012
    Cinorjer said:

Great answers. We mean there's no permanent, independent "self" but obviously you're sitting there reading these words. That is, if your consciousness, the focus of your attention, is on the words. If not, you can be sitting there, looking at the computer screen, but your mind can be miles and years away.

Bringing your consciousness to the present, being "mindful", doesn't mean analyzing what you're doing. That's called "checking" in our school. Mindfulness is being aware of what you're doing, that's all. You're checking all possible actions and trying to choose the best one. That leaves your mind tied into knots.

I am checking all of the possible actions, and yes, it does leave my mind in knots. I don't even know how to trust my own opinion or actions since I see so many options. Is this natural with mindful awareness? Or am I viewing this incorrectly?

BoatS
  • It is not " there is no self". It is "the self you percieve is an illusion." Big difference!

Yep. A lot of modern Buddhists don't understand that. They take the annihilationist position although they vehemetly deny it. The illusory self is the sakkâya, the samsaric individual that is constituted by the pañca khandhas (the five psycho-physical constituents).

• ToshTosh Veteran
    It's no wonder people get confused when we use all this unintelligible terminology.
    RebeccaS
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited August 2012
    BoatS said:

I am checking all of the possible actions, and yes, it does leave my mind in knots. I don't even know how to trust my own opinion or actions since I see so many options. Is this natural with mindful awareness? Or am I viewing this incorrectly?

When you do mindfulness of breathing, you don't have to choose when to stop breathing in or how long to pause before breathing out. I mean you can do it that way, but ideally it's all driven by deep conditioning which runs even if your conscious mind has been completely shut down by a head injury. A key insight in Buddhism is that all of your life — including your thoughts, opinions, choices and behaviors — arises from similar conditioning. I'm told that Chögyam Trungpa once expressed this as, "The illusion of choice is an indication of the lack of freedom." In other words, each choice you make is driven by a series of conditioned mental processes which choose which thoughts/opinions/behaviors to run in a given situation, and it is common to see this series of mental processes and the result it chooses as "self" (E.g., "I don't even know how to trust my own opinion or actions since I see so many options." Most choices don't actually get made the way you describe here, via an enumeration and rational weighing of options. Something much faster and simultaneously more primitive and yet often more intelligent is at work.)

The way to approach this mindfully without getting tied up in knots is just to watch the conditioning which drives the choice. Ideally, you also watch the conditioning which leads you to identify with the process of choosing, but that is insight practice, and should probably come later.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    My own confusion came from trying to see an illusory self in an apparently, somehow real, world. The realization that the whole package is inseparable and equally unreal, or rather, lacking inherent existence, was a relief to the problem, but I am no longer willing or able to express myself about my view coherently. Not that I was ever able to, but now I don't bother to try.
    Beej
  • BoatS said:

Cinorjer said:

Great answers. We mean there's no permanent, independent "self" but obviously you're sitting there reading these words. That is, if your consciousness, the focus of your attention, is on the words. If not, you can be sitting there, looking at the computer screen, but your mind can be miles and years away.

BoatS
    It'll pass, usually. See, a relaxed awareness is comfortable and natural. A tight focus on decision making is not. You just have to shift your focus from you to what's going on around you. Then you can react in a spontanious way. For instance, when you're talking to someone, be aware of what they're saying, not what you're going to reply in return. If you focus on them, you're not tying your mind into knots.
    Silouansova
  • @Boats

I suggest that you are holding on too tightly, and getting wrapped up in the technical side of things. This is not a hard thing to do considering the abundance of such material available on the forum.

The notion of “No Self” simply means that we do not have an intrinsic independent existence apart from others.

Relax and return to simplicity and spontaneity instead of complication and calculation. Awareness doesn’t mean analysis or having judging or discriminating thoughts. A car passes by you, and you are aware that it is a car passing by without having to label it a car, or then even to start critiquing the car’s color, style, and then thinking I hate or like the car.

There goes Mary Jane. She passed me by. Instead of there goes Mary Jane she’s a terrible person and so on.

I noticed a piece of gum in the urinal today, but with a discursive mind I thought about how inconsiderate this person must have been for the one that cleans the urinal. Personal example. :)
    poptartBoatS
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    Proper posture, balance of mind and body

then the words don't really do it justice
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited August 2012
    @fivebells, thanks, I enjoyed reading your link.

If you're interested in freewill, Sam Harris (a neuroscientist) has some interesting stuff to say about it, or rather the lack of it:

It may help the OP understand too.

This is also very good with regards our concept of self (often posted on this site too):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GFIyhseYTWg
    BoatSsova
  • It is the ego that fills your head with thoughts, obsessing over how you respond and how it will make you look to others. Observe these thoughts but when you become aware that they are not who you truly are they no longer control your actions.

Try to take note of how you feel when you are asked a question, before mind has had a chance to work it over. As @Silouan suggested, be simple and open. The answer, if you have one, will come to you.
    SilouanBoatSSeaOfTranquility
  • driedleafdriedleaf Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Self is many things, but there are things which it is not. When you make it into something that it is not, then that leads to suffering. Self is what experiences life. Self can bring happiness, but it can also cause pain and suffering. In our journey to find happiness, we should also try understand who we are. When we find who we are, then naturally happiness will follow.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited August 2012
    It's the job of mindfulness to see things we never saw before and act on those things in a skillful way. Indeed, sometimes this feels like taking a bump or taking a step back, a moment to reflect. That's a good thing. In the beginning it feels unnatural because we have to go against our habitual tendencies, against the stream. It's reprogramming the mind as if it were. Sometimes this feels a bit uneasy, but if you change your actions into beautiful and helpful ones, there is only good things done.

You don't have to be perfect though. You don't have to say perfect words, act perfectly. As long as the intention is good, it's basically fine. Just determine, am I acting skillfully or am I not? And take the general skillful direction from there, don't become too robotic. ;)

Don't worry, this will get much more easy over time and you'll feel more free and open then before. Your negative habit energies will get less and less and your responses and actions will naturally become more Buddha-like. It's a bit like trying to walk, in the beginning you fall and it's hard, but in the end it is second nature.

As to what creates those actions, it's the new habit tendencies you create. People also call this karma.

I hope this helps.

With kindness,
    Sabre
    BoatSSeaOfTranquility
  • BoatSBoatS Explorer
    @Silouan

Thank you again for the deep insight. You put your ideas in a very applicable and straight-forward manner. Also, I very much enjoyed your write up on the origin of thoughts.

@driedleaf
    driedleaf said:

... we should also try understand who we are. When we find who we are, then naturally happiness will follow.

What do you mean by finding who we are? Like morals and values?

@Sabre

It is reassuring to know that these are common problems, sometimes I feel somewhat crazy with my ideas/mind. I'm glad that this is something that improves over time. I am fairly new (~4 years of practice, on and off) and I always seem to encounter new issues as I progress. I suppose that is part of learning.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    How does one mindfully choose the what to say/do when their are limitless options? I feel completely lost. For example:
    I think in simple terms there may be a choice between saying or doing something skillful ( helpful ), or saying or doing something unskillful ( harmful ). As mindfulness develops we begin to realise that there is a choice, and we better understand the likely consequences of what we say and do. So initially bare attention and then clear comprehension.
  • BoatS said:

What do you mean by finding who we are? Like morals and values?

I believe if we use the not-self (anatta) teaching as a guide, and if we can find anything worth calling this is mine, this is me, then from that we will be able to find peace and understanding. Morals and values will naturally play a role in our favor once we do find what is self and not-self. Just my opinion though.

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited August 2012
    BoatS said:

@Sabre

It is reassuring to know that these are common problems, sometimes I feel somewhat crazy with my ideas/mind. I'm glad that this is something that improves over time. I am fairly new (~4 years of practice, on and off) and I always seem to encounter new issues as I progress. I suppose that is part of learning.

Glad to be off some help.

Well, the path is going against the mind's tendencies. That's why the Buddha called it going against the stream. So it's not always easy. There will be hard times ahead. But it's beautiful and worth it, the easy times will dominate more and more.
  • I was taught it as self and Self. self is the you that you identify with before enlightenment, your ego. Self is the eternal part of you. When you become enlightened you lose the self and become the Self, which could also be described as not-self.

There being no self doesn't mean that there is nothing, only that there is no ego, no "you" - you being the eo that you identify with until enlightenment, and that disappears when you reach it.

The Self is the same as everyone else's Self, and there is no difference. The only differences are in the self.
  • BoatS:
    I used to just react and respond how I saw fit, but now I witness what I was going to say and perceive the impact of those words/actions. It almost feels as if I am not be genuine to my true desire/self, because a lot of times I'm altering what I would normally say. It also feels a bit manipulative since I intentionally choose my actions.
    The self (in thee), man, knows what is true or false. Surely the noble Witness, sir, the Self, you do misjudge, in that when sin is there you do conceal the Self within the self. — AN 1. 149 (trans. Horner)
    RebeccaS
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    @BoatS

You know like how if you watch the wheels on the highway spin and sometimes they look like they start spinning backwards? And we see a "something spinning the other direction" that isn't really there, but is actually an "illusion" or a patchwork of moments?

Nonetheless, mindfulness lets the proper action happen, because deep down in our deepest instincts we know taking-and-giving so well that it's Natural. I don't mean to sound like I know something, because I am pretty new to all this as well, but I think a lot of it is practicing to trust mindfulness, to trust the "instinct"

Like when a friend of mine told me that there is no soul in Buddhism I sorta freaked out. Oh shnikes! I just lost a soul! AAAAH! But I'm really glad he told me the way he did, because we have a lot of assumptions about what reality is, but we hardly ever sit down to actually investigate it without all our preconceptions. There is still progress, still the art of getting-better-at-it, the art of tranquility, but none of these things require an "actor" .. letting go of the grasping to I/me/mine doesn't mean we vanish, it's just pulling out the thorn.

But I think that in specifically trying to let go of "self" one is still driving a wedge of separation, and really we are not separate from the universe. Just because we are like fish that hardly notice the water around them doesn't mean that we can exist separately from the water.

In every moment there is a whole new reality, brand new sensory inputs, brand new state of being, completely new! Let go of the old and simply be receptive, over and over again.

I really enjoy these words by Atisha
    The greatest achievement is selflessness.
    The greatest worth is self-mastery.
    The greatest quality is seeking to serve others.
    The greatest precept is continual awareness.
    The greatest medicine is the emptiness of everything.
    The greatest action is not conforming with the worlds ways.
    The greatest magic is transmuting the passions.
    The greatest generosity is non-attachment.
    The greatest goodness is a peaceful mind.
    The greatest patience is humility.
    The greatest effort is not concerned with results.
    The greatest meditation is a mind that lets go.
    The greatest wisdom is seeing through appearances.

spinning wheels and heartfelt good wishes :)
  • @BoatS
    You are most welcome. I'm glad it might be useful.

If I might add. You know when you greet someone and just smile? That I think is simplicity and spontaneity at its very essence. :-)
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    The Self is the same as everyone else's Self, and there is no difference. The only differences are in the self.

Is this a Buddhist teaching?
  • Tosh said:

It's no wonder people get confused when we use all this unintelligible terminology.

How else do you refer and educate on the non-conceptual?

I am guessing its experiencing it, AKA practice.

• ToshTosh Veteran
    edited August 2012
    tmottes said:

Tosh said:

How else do you refer and educate on the non-conceptual?

I am guessing its experiencing it, AKA practice.

Hmmm. I'm taught we start with the conceptual and deepen that intellectual knowledge with contemplation meditation.

But this isn't about that, I mean whenever we use language we're in the realms of concepts, but it's about the use of unintelligible terminology with someone who is new to Buddhism. Otherwise we might as well type in Japanese. Wakarimasu ka?
  • @Tosh I am not sure if we are speaking about the same things here.

I was referring more to this:

It is not that there is self
    It is not that there is no self
    It is not that there is neither self nor no self
    It is not that there is both self and no self

It is

Either way, the buddha said that we are not to concern ourselves with self or no-self, just that this "I" is not-self.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    Yeh, we're talking about different things. I apologise for any confusion I've created.