Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What can and can't you do?

Captain_AmericaCaptain_America Explorer
edited September 2012 in Buddhism Basics
Alright so I'm confused. I'm a total noob when it comes to Buddhism (well not total, I have done a bit of reading which is why I'm confused). And I've been having a hard time clarifying what is and isn't allowed.

I was reading a thread on here where people had mentioned that they smoked/drank for example. So I think to myself, "wait a minute, is that even allowed?" so I look into the precepts and drugs/alcohol and basically fun (music, dancing etc) are prohibited.

What exactly am I not understanding here? Are those precepts only for the uber strict to follow? Only for a certain branch of Buddhism? Where's the side of Buddhism where this is allowed, because I think that's where I want to go :P

And if different branches/schools of Buddhism can differ so greatly, does that make any one more correct than the other?

Yeah multiple questions I know, but I wanted to get as much in as I could in one post lol. One more thing, what exactly is prohibited by like all schools? Killing? Because I'm totally bad at that (not because I kill people, but insects....lots of them...)

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2012
    The Five Precepts are the ones that lay Buddhists are supposed to adhere to (so this doesn't cover things like not dancing or listening to music... those are further precepts for monks/nuns to adhere to).

The fifth precept is to abstain from intoxicants (that cause mental heedlessness), but not everyone can or will follow that. Smoking isn't an intoxicant, though alcohol and other drugs are.

I recommend http://www.BuddhaNet.net for more information on Buddhism. It has a Basic Buddhism Guide as well as Online Study Guide that should be most helpful.
    sspevack70ve
  • Thanks for clarifying Cloud, but shit, I like beer. And weed. So what's the consequence of it? Are you a bad Buddhist or something or do you accumulate some negative karma? If some karma, hopefully a wee bit that I can counter by like holding the door for someone lol
    jumbles
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2012
    The consequence of intoxicants is firstly heedlessness, that is not having clear control of your mental faculties, and so being in a position to break the other precepts or otherwise cause harm. That's the primary reason for the fifth precept.

If you get drunk and end up driving and kill someone, do you think a lifetime of holding the door for people could ever make up for it? That's just an example of course, but the point is that the precept is there for a reason. Follow it or don't follow it, but it's only your choice and you're the only one responsible for your actions.
    OneLifeFormjumblessspevack70ve
  • Don't get me wrong, I understand that it can lead to terrible things. Like recently in the news a couple of fellas were on 'shrooms and one ripped the other's heart out. That's obviously a terrible event and going to screw you pretty hard.

But what I really meant was say the worst thing that happens on most nights is you get drunk/high and just have a good (non harmful to anyone in any way) time. I mean of course you do some harm to your body from these actions but I think you know what I mean.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Everyone just wants to have a good time, and you're right most nights you're the only one that's harmed. But what about the other nights, the other possibilities? Obviously people are getting harmed and killed all the time by others who are "just trying to have fun". Someone is doing the harming, someone is doing the killing. Just because it hasn't been you before doesn't mean it can't happen, and if it does you'll regret it the rest of your life. Maybe at that point you'd blame the booze, but it's your choice so you can't really blame anything or anyone but yourself. The precepts are preventative measures, that's why we take them and uphold them... but like I said, it's your choice. If you don't choose to follow them, and something bad happens, you'll have only yourself to blame.

If you're not going to follow the fifth precept, at least be moderate in your consumption and be careful. Be constantly on guard about possibly causing harm to others. No one can force you to follow this precept or any, but I ask that you keep the safety of others in mind.
  • Every couple of weeks we go back and forth and forth and back again about the precepts.
    In shorth this is what you're going to hear.
    The first 5 precepts are for us (lay Buddhists).
    The last 5 are for those in monastic life.
    The first 5 precepts are more guidelines than they are rules.
    Some of us follow the precepts more literally than others.
    I for example don't harm life, so I don't eat meat or harm bugs. Others feel killing bugs is ok but not snakes, some hate snakes and believe it's ok.
    Some forsake the 5th precept in order to continue drinking. Some limit their drinking to avoid heedlessness, others don't drink or partake in drugs at all.

“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.” The Buddha

Quote from http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/2167493.Siddh_rtha_Gautama
    Captain_AmericaMaryAnnejessie70
  • Cloud said:

Someone is doing the harming, someone is doing the killing. Just because it hasn't been you before doesn't mean it can't happen, and if it does you'll regret it the rest of your life. Maybe at that point you'd blame the booze, but it's your choice so you can't really blame anything or anyone but yourself. The precepts are preventative measures, that's why we take them and uphold them... but like I said, it's your choice. If you don't choose to follow them, and something bad happens, you'll have only yourself to blame.

I understand what you're getting at, but by the same token, but to me what you're saying is like forbidding driving because you could possibly kill a pedestrian, simply by accident.

I understand that bad things happen, and I know that I could always be the one to do the harming, the killing, the maiming the whatever negative action. I thank you for stating it anyway as you can't possibly be aware of what I was thinking of/aware of. I merely wanted to know how "wrong" it was to partake in actions that violate the fifth precept (for example) without any other variables such as the accidental killing or harming of another individual.

I hope I'm not coming across in a bad way, I absolutely mean well.
    jumbles
  • I believe the Buddhist path is like a map - we can choose to follow it or not.

There are known hindrances along the way that, if we avoid them, we will have a better chance of staying on the path. Being alert is helpful and being intoxicated reduces our ability to be alert.

As Cloud mentioned above, there could be serious consequences as a result of being out of control but you will not be punished simply for being intoxicated. You may, however, set yourself back in your spiritual quest if your mind is not clear.

Personally, as a musician, I used to use marijuana to help clear my mind of distractions prior to a musical performance. Now I meditate and do a bit of Yoga before a show and I find it to be a much better way to quiet the mind and I can focus more clearly on the music than I did when I was stoned.

Captain_America
  • Captain_AmericaCaptain_America Explorer
    edited September 2012
    Kangaroo said:

Every couple of weeks we go back and forth and forth and back again about the precepts.
    In shorth this is what you're going to hear.
    The first 5 precepts are for us (lay Buddhists).
    The last 5 are for those in monastic life.
    The first 5 precepts are more guidelines than they are rules.
    Some of us follow the precepts more literally than others.
    I for example don't harm life, so I don't eat meat or harm bugs. Others feel killing bugs is ok but not snakes, some hate snakes and believe it's ok.
    Some forsake the 5th precept in order to continue drinking. Some limit their drinking to avoid heedlessness, others don't drink or partake in drugs at all.

“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.” The Buddha

Quote from http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/2167493.Siddh_rtha_Gautama

That quote is always awesome. One of the few that I'm aware of. I suppose I should've just thought about that instead of asking?

I did not know that the first five precepts were more guidelines than rules. I thought that by violating them you were committing bad acts and therefore accruing negative karma.

Thanks for clearing things up.

edit: also, I hope you don't think I'm an alcoholic or a drug addict of some sort. I've yet to have more than two beers in a sitting and have not been high very many times. I was just using this precept as an example. I had also been curious about say killing insects, but if I now understand correctly, killing is simply a guideline? (not that I plan on killing much more than an insect lol)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2012
    You do accrue negative karma if you kill intentionally, or steal intentionally, and so on... the fifth precept is more about the increased possibility of breaking other precepts. Simply consuming alcohol isn't accruing negative karma (I don't think), but when we lose control of our thoughts and actions we can end up doing things that we normally would not do.

The precepts have two purposes, the first of which is to prevent you from doing harm (accruing negative karma), the second of which is to cultivate a blameless mind that is capable of getting the most of a meditative practice.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Re the driving example.... How many people need to drive, in comparison to the amount of people who need to drink or smoke pot?

It's a question simply, of asking yourself, "How conducive to me following a Buddhist path, is this?"

Simply because you might protest you would prefer to carry on doing something, even though indications are that it's not skilful or appropriate - does your thinking you'd still like to carry on - make it right?
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Hi,

When talking about the precept of not drinking alcohol, people often only look at that precept, the consequences etc. But there is another more important thing involved: The second noble truth; the source of suffering is craving. Craving for sense pleasures, thus for beer, sigarettes, or what have you - is included in this craving that leads to suffering. So leaving aside whether or not you accumulate negative karma by drinking, one thing is for sure, you aren't gathering good karma.
    Captain_Americajessie70
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2012

I did not know that the first five precepts were more guidelines than rules. I thought that by violating them you were committing bad acts and therefore accruing negative karma....

..... I had also been curious about say killing insects, but if I now understand correctly, killing is simply a guideline? (not that I plan on killing much more than an insect lol)

It is a mistake to take the 5 precepts in isolation.
    You need to take them in the same context as the 4 Noble truths and the Eightfold path.
    Precepts are there for guidance, sure, but you should consider them whilst bearing in mind the 4 and the 8.

• Cloud: Gotcha. Loss of control definitely is not/should not be desirable, Buddhist or not :)

Sabre: You do indeed make a good point. Craving is a MASSIVE issue for me. Not in terms of alcohol & drugs, but in life in general, as it may be for many. Being new to this as I am, I have yet to learn how to manage these things rather than trying to satisfy them all the time. Follow up question: is it bad to not necessarily "crave" but to desire things? Like the desire to do well in something, the desire to maybe go somewhere, the desire to do something as miscellaneous as playing a board game/video game/etc?

Federica: Well I actually wasn't sure of the context to take the Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path in. Those are indisputable things though I'm guessing?
    The 4 Noble truths and the Eightfold path are the primary, underpinning and most fundamental teachings the Buddha gave. "All teachings return to these". Every tradition has them as their stronghold, and they form the foundation of any Buddhist's practice.
    They were the topics of the very first sermon the Buddha gave at Deer Park, and have always been the underpinning factors of a Buddhist's first foray into Buddhism....

Learn more, here about the 4 Noble truths and here, regarding the 8Fold path, with a précis on the 4 Noble truths also....
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited September 2012

Sabre: You do indeed make a good point. Craving is a MASSIVE issue for me. Not in terms of alcohol & drugs, but in life in general, as it may be for many. Being new to this as I am, I have yet to learn how to manage these things rather than trying to satisfy them all the time. Follow up question: is it bad to not necessarily "crave" but to desire things? Like the desire to do well in something, the desire to maybe go somewhere, the desire to do something as miscellaneous as playing a board game/video game/etc?

There are wholesome desires like wanting to do good, wanting to practice the path, wanting to care for others. So it's not like desire in general leads to problems.

But the path and the precepts are naturally a bit uncomfortable in the beginning. That's because it goes against our habits. People think, well I like drinking beer, I don't see the harm in it, and it would be a problem for me to stop it - but that's their habitual tendency speaking. The path is about changing or remove these tendencies. So to listen to them is like holding onto the shore while you want to swim across a river - you aren't really getting anywhere.

Of course the moment of letting go of the shore is a bit scary, but to get across, we have to. There will be a better and more beautiful shore at the other side.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

I did not know that the first five precepts were more guidelines than rules. I thought that by violating them you were committing bad acts and therefore accruing negative karma.

Thanks for clearing things up.

edit: also, I hope you don't think I'm an alcoholic or a drug addict of some sort. I've yet to have more than two beers in a sitting and have not been high very many times. I was just using this precept as an example. I had also been curious about say killing insects, but if I now understand correctly, killing is simply a guideline? (not that I plan on killing much more than an insect lol)

Just to be clear, not all of us agree at all with the assessment described above.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    In general Buddhist teachings are just that, instructions rather than rules.

For example, refrain from putting your hand on a hot stove. This is an instruction to help prevent you from getting burned, there's no Buddha or anyone else there to smack you upside the head if you do like is kind of implied if it were a rule. The instruction is up to you whether to follow or not, the only consequence being burning your hand or not, totally up to you.
    Sabre
  • Depends highly on the tradition one follows and ultimately on ones conditioning.
  • I was taught that to achieve enlightenment one must develop clarity, openness and sensitivity. So drinking/drug taking will hinder clarity which in turn hinders your progress along the path.
  • As long as you're not hurting anyone (including yourself) I'm of the opinion that pretty much anything goes. Harder than it sounds though :lol:
    Captain_America
  • The world is not perfect. That's why precepts or virtues are created. Every religion has some. But just because the world is not perfect is no excuse for us to live heedlessly. We should try to lean ourselves towards what is not hurtful or less harmful to us. Because we are not perfect, that is the reason why we need the precepts, to remind us of our imperfection.
    Captain_America
  • So it would appear many of you follow the philosophy that the precepts are more like guidelines as opposed to rules. I think I can get behind that idea. Seeing them as things to keep in mind and to try to abide by, but not all the time and not necessarily perfectly. It's like a way of keeping yourself in check.

So with that said, what school/branch of Buddhism do those who believe this way follow?
  • Precepts are guidelines.

Doing what you know to be right is essential.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited September 2012
    I also agree that the precepts are not rules, but also not mere guidelines. Most of all, they are practices. In the beginning hard to follow, but the interesting thing is of course at least trying to perfect our precepts. Over time, it becomes easier and easier until a sudden moment it is natural. And let me tell you that it is very relieving to not break precepts. To get there, it may not be so easy, and of course, it won't be perfect in one time. At first it's hard to not kill a mosquito. It's hard to put down a beer. It's hard to tell the truth even if you seem worse of. But all of this is well worth the effort. And then it becomes hard to break a precept -some things even impossible- , which makes one very happy.

So it is impossible for a Buddha to lie, steal, intentionally hurt a living being, and he wouldn't drink either. If we take that as an example, we can become more enlightened ourselves.
    vinlynseeker242
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Sabre:
    A Buddha would never lie, steal, hurt a living being, he wouldn't drink either.
    Absolutely. However when people post that they're worried that dancing is against Buddhism, or that they feel greedy if they eat more than brown rice, I sigh a little.

p.s. to never hurt a living being... I'd turn that into a positive and say that it's possible for all one's actions to be for ending suffering in living beings. In fact we're already doing exactly that, though it's a terrible fact to come to terms with, even if it is perfection.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited September 2012

Sabre:

Absolutely. However when people post that they're worried that dancing is against Buddhism, or that they feel greedy if they eat more than brown rice, I sigh a little

Yes, I agree, I was talking about the 5 precepts, I could have clarified. Although, I don't think a Buddha would be very interested in dancing. Here is a list of things impossible for a Buddha (or arahant if you want) according to the suttas:
    "[1] It is impossible for a monk whose mental fermentations are ended to intentionally deprive a living being of life. [2] It is impossible for a monk whose mental fermentations are ended to take, in the manner of stealing, what is not given. [3] It is impossible for a monk whose mental fermentations are ended to engage in sexual intercourse. [4] It is impossible for a monk whose mental fermentations are ended to tell a conscious lie. [5] It is impossible for a monk whose mental fermentations are ended to consume stored-up sensual things as he did before, when he was a householder.

"[6] It is impossible for a monk whose mental fermentations are ended to follow a bias based on desire. [7] It is impossible for a monk whose mental fermentations are ended to follow a bias based on aversion. [8] It is impossible for a monk whose mental fermentations are ended to follow a bias based on fear. [9] It is impossible for a monk whose mental fermentations are ended to follow a bias based on delusion.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an09/an09.007.than.html
    edited September 2012
    Oh dear.

The guys who sat in zazen for 20 years and had grass growing in the folds of their robes weren't the real Buddhas.

A lot of things are going to happen that won't be as neat as that list.
  • chariramacharirama Veteran
    edited September 2012
    I am a professional musician and I feel music can be a spiritual experience if it is done "right." I am very particular about how the music is produced and it can sometimes be a source of frustration for me if the production does not meet my standards.

My wife has pointed out to me that I have an attachment to the music. At first, this was difficult for me to accept because music can bring so much joy but as I learn more about myself and the nature of suffering, I have some idea why the Buddha included music and dancing in the precepts. It seems to me that he was just bringing our attention to some of the effects of focusing on this type of activity.

I am attached to music and, at times, it can certainly be a hindrance but that does not stop me from performing. The realization, however, helps me keep it in perspective, be more accepting and live a more balanced life.
    edited September 2012
    Great music draws attention to its own impermanence, and by extension to all impermanence.
  • Sabre said:

Sabre:

Absolutely. However when people post that they're worried that dancing is against Buddhism, or that they feel greedy if they eat more than brown rice, I sigh a little
    Yes, I agree, I was talking about the 5 precepts, I could have clarified. Although, I don't think a Buddha would be very interested in dancing. Here is a list of things impossible for a Buddha (or arahant if you want) according to the suttas:
    "[1] It is impossible for a monk whose mental fermentations are ended to intentionally deprive a living being of life. [2] It is impossible for a monk whose mental fermentations are ended to take, in the manner of stealing, what is not given. [3] It is impossible for a monk whose mental fermentations are ended to engage in sexual intercourse. [4] It is impossible for a monk whose mental fermentations are ended to tell a conscious lie. [5] It is impossible for a monk whose mental fermentations are ended to consume stored-up sensual things as he did before, when he was a householder.

"[6] It is impossible for a monk whose mental fermentations are ended to follow a bias based on desire. [7] It is impossible for a monk whose mental fermentations are ended to follow a bias based on aversion. [8] It is impossible for a monk whose mental fermentations are ended to follow a bias based on fear. [9] It is impossible for a monk whose mental fermentations are ended to follow a bias based on delusion.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an09/an09.007.than.html

Well, then all I have to say is Thank Goodness I don't want to be a monk! :D

Seriously, though.... do you really really believe that a "good / devout / true Buddhist" (choose your own descriptive word) needs to avoid the beauty of music, the beauty of intimacy and companionship, the beauty of art, the beauty of LIFE in so many forms? Did the Buddha mean for everyone, everywhere, to become monks, or even "monk-like" in Buddhist devotion? I can't imagine that.
    There is no balance if one eradicates all acknowledgment of Beauty in the world....

Now, an unproductive attachment to beauty I can understand, but so often I read here - in this forum- comments which strongly imply nothing pleasurable, nothing beautiful is to be sought, acknowledged or enjoyed for simply what it is... beautiful.

• chariramacharirama Veteran
    edited September 2012
    MaryAnne said:

Now, an unproductive attachment to beauty I can understand, but so often I read here - in this forum- comments which strongly imply nothing pleasurable, nothing beautiful is to be sought, acknowledged or enjoyed for simply what it is... beautiful.

Agreed.

It is the unproductive attachment that is the issue - the solution being the ability to discern such.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited September 2012
    MaryAnne said:

Well, then all I have to say is Thank Goodness I don't want to be a monk! :D

Seriously, though.... do you really really believe that a "good / devout / true Buddhist" (choose your own descriptive word) needs to avoid the beauty of music, the beauty of intimacy and companionship, the beauty of art, the beauty of LIFE in so many forms? Did the Buddha mean for everyone, everywhere, to become monks, or even "monk-like" in Buddhist devotion? I can't imagine that.
    There is no balance if one eradicates all acknowledgment of Beauty in the world....

Well, judging on your name, it would be hard for you to become a monk ;)

But seriously, nope, I don't think the Buddha intended everybody to become ordained. If nobody would have followed his teachings, that would also have been fine. But luckily people picked it up, both ordained and lay people. I think we can practice a lot without being monks or nuns. But the Buddha wasn't the biggest fan of 'the beauties of life', because what's more beautiful is the beauty of nirvana, because for one thing, it is the only permanent happiness. Surely the Buddha wouldn't have made up the monastic precepts against a lot of sensual stuff if those were productive in finding that happiness. Doesn't mean lay people are required to live by those standards, though.

But the beauty of a lot of things you mention are very dependent on perception. For example: one style of music one likes, another finds horrible. Some people don't really like music at all. Myself -once been a musician (not pro but quite active anyway)- I've more and more come to attune to silence and rarely listen music anymore. Silence is more beautiful to me now and music often sounds like a noise.

So what's the meaning of 'beauty' then if it is so susceptible to change? ... One could wonder. Over the years of practice I've come more and more to the realization that the less there is, the more beauty there is. (and I will probably become a monk soon-ish, thank goodness I want to ;) )
    person
  • Hey @Captain_America, confused yet?
    Don't bother with trying to figure out which school you want right now.
    All of the schools focus on the 4 noble truths and the 8 fold path. Just concentrate on that for now.
    When I first started 2 years ago I read everything I could get my hands on. Man did I get confused. This isn't like class where you only have 1 semester to figure it out before the exam. After all of my reading and studying I finally gave it up. I went back to the 4 noble truths and the 8 fold path and started over. I sat down and I shut up.
    Fit the precepts in when and where you can.
    It's more about your intention than it is about your performance.
    SabreMaryAnne
  • lol Kangaroo I am indeed. I'm doing exactly what you did it would appear. Just trying to absorb as much as I can. I'm beginning to understand that this is not the right way to go about things, but I don't quite understand just going back to the 4NT and the 8FP. I mean I know I can read them, look at them and think about them but I mean what else am I supposed to do?

And then at what point do I begin to think about schools? And then at what point would I be able to consider myself a Buddhist?
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I mean I know I can read them, look at them and think about them but I mean what else am I supposed to do?

That's basically it. The point is though not just to know about them, the point is to ingrain them into the fiber of your being so your actions naturally line up with them. For example refraining from killing insects, at first your natural reaction may be to kill the mosquito on your arm but you remember the first precept about killing and you refrain. Meanwhile you study, reflect and meditate upon the teachings and at some point your natural reaction to that mosquito will be to blow it off or gently sweep it off of you and at some point could even be to let the mosquito take your blood because you want to feed it.
    federica
  • Captain,

May I suggest you listen to this three part talk on Dukkha (the first Noble Truth)

Dukkha part1
    Dukkha part2
    Dukkha part3
  • @Captain_America: I am a bit of noob myself, but I think the right school will find you, in a way. If you look for sanghas in your area, sit at a few, and pick one where you feel comfortable and that you will make it to on a regular basis. You may end up going to more than one place until you feel at home. It will sort itself out. You will find a teacher there. It's a good idea to meditate on a regular basis on your own- even just 15 minutes a day- whatever you can fit in.

I think you are essentially a Buddhist when you try and incorporate living *your* life by the precepts & 8FP- applying whatever other teachings you are exposed to in a way that feels natural and improves your life.

Do these things for a couple of years, and you will get your Buddhism membership card in the mail! ;-)
  • federica said:

The 4 Noble truths and the Eightfold path are the primary, underpinning and most fundamental teachings the Buddha gave. "All teachings return to these". Every tradition has them as their stronghold, and they form the foundation of any Buddhist's practice.
    They were the topics of the very first sermon the Buddha gave at Deer Park, and have always been the underpinning factors of a Buddhist's first foray into Buddhism....

Learn more, here about the 4 Noble truths and here, regarding the 8Fold path, with a précis on the 4 Noble truths also....

Soldier on fed....nice work
  • OP: Buddhsm doesn't have commandments or a Pope to tell you what to do or not do. It has the four noble truths and the precepts. The rest is up to you...
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited September 2012

Don't get me wrong, I understand that it can lead to terrible things. Like recently in the news a couple of fellas were on 'shrooms and one ripped the other's heart out. That's obviously a terrible event and going to screw you pretty hard.

But what I really meant was say the worst thing that happens on most nights is you get drunk/high and just have a good (non harmful to anyone in any way) time. I mean of course you do some harm to your body from these actions but I think you know what I mean.

The most mild consequence here I would think it that you don't make any progress towards liberation and leave yourself stuck and perhaps undoing some progress you made previously. Just as long as you don't actually do anything stupid. You do some harm to your body but to your mind also by putting it in a hazy stupor, for the sake of having fun. While the purpose of Buddhist practice is to make your mind clear. Putting your mind in a haze with intoxicants is the opposite of making it clear. So the precept against intoxicant is not only about actual behavior, that may cause harm, but also clarity of mind, in and of itself.

But of course, that not as bad a killing someone drunk driving or something like that but still not without negative consequences.

• ph0kinph0kin http://klingonbuddhist.wordpress.com Explorer

Thanks for clarifying Cloud, but shit, I like beer. And weed. So what's the consequence of it? Are you a bad Buddhist or something or do you accumulate some negative karma? If some karma, hopefully a wee bit that I can counter by like holding the door for someone lol

As far as consequences go, see what it does to your liver and your wallet.

Karma doesn't have to be mystical, it's oftentimes plainly obvious when you sit down and think about it.
  • ph0kinph0kin http://klingonbuddhist.wordpress.com Explorer
    What exactly am I not understanding here? Are those precepts only for the uber strict to follow? Only for a certain branch of Buddhism? Where's the side of Buddhism where this is allowed, because I think that's where I want to go :P
    You sound like a younger fellow trying to figure things out.

I didn't really get this stuff until my daugther was born. I realized I had to set a good example for her, and had to be someone she could look up to. That's when I started taking the precepts seriously.

It's a set of voluntary vows you take. You do the best you can, and when you screw up, you sit down, learn from it and move on.

It's not about you. It's about how you treat other, and this was the Buddha's recommendation for treating others better, and getting some self-respect and dignity in the process.
  • i get overwhelmed with rules so i realized that if i just focus on the root issue like something on a deeper level that gives me more peace and less suffering in my mind/spirit, then all the rules kinda 'fall into place.' so sometimes, i can create a mind/spirit that's so okay, that when presented with a specific problem i'll just know the logical thing to do. but if i'm in a disturbed/suffering state of mind, then trying to solve a problem might just lead to a lot of indecision and guilt
  • Reading your post @evolve, my thought was having rules to follow would be easier than what is required really ... not that rules ( whether there were 5 as in the precepts or 500 simple ones to follow ) could ever cover all situations and circumstances which a full and engaged life entitles we humans face.

This clip from Monty Python also came to mind ... blessed are the cheesmakers!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=-xLUEMj6cwA&feature=endscreen
    jessie70
  • evolveevolve Explorer
    edited September 2012
    @andyrobyn haha nice! i like that
  • Well i ve had two glasses of wine so tonight i will be guilty of actually giving my hubby a cuddle ......that will confuse him....x
    Is that a euphemism...?
  • Is that a euphemism........

cuddle or confuse ?? lol x
    cuddle.

Don't answer that, this is a family show......;) :D
    carolanncoz