Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Colbert vs Buddhism

Comments

• Actually if the link is only there to enjoy it makes no difference if the thread is closed or not.
  • Yet, no one can comment on it.
  • I wouldn't have clicked on the link without that introductory sentence and it is nice to be able to comment on it if one wants.

That is what I was thinking about the thread with that link that got closed, if I had something I wanted to say about it.. etc.
  • That's just about what I'd expect from Stephen Colbert. He's rarely ever "serious" about anything, he's a comedian after all and he's there for entertainment. :)
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    He's even less than serious, his comic personality is modeled after Bill O'Reilly. :D I actually really like Stephen Colbert. It was pretty hilarious when he went on the O'Reilly Factor and said... "I... I'm you!"
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    Hahah, I caught this randomly the other day online when I went to watch some new episodes =)

I'm not sure who the "spokespeople" for Buddhism are but I don't think college professors are necessarily the most qualified... just saying

It's like having a plumber come and tell you about his job, or a university professor that studies what plumbers do tell you about their job..

However! Very happy that Colbert is disseminating the Four Noble Truths. Also, haha "That's what I like about being a Catholic, Jesus did all my suffering for me, so now I can just lay back and rake in all the Christmas presents!! [laughter]"
    buddhakai
  • sova said:

"That's what I like about being a Catholic, Jesus did all my suffering for me, so now I can just lay back and rake in all the Christmas presents!! [laughter]"

That was a good one :)

• Christmas presents do little towards ending suffering , however. The message from Jesus can say lot about the inevitability of suffering in this life, if it is interpreted from a Buddhist viewpoint.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    I love people who give Buddhism a good, humorous kick in the pants. Colbert is not equipped for the task.
    andyrobyn
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    I sometimes wonder if people think that the things he says are actually his opinions. His entire character is a mockery of Bill O'Reilly. He acts in ways that he thinks your typical ignorant, right-winged, small minded, Irish-Catholic would (or maybe just, again, Bill O'Reilly, lol).

Colbert on the O'Reilly Factor: