Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Alternative meditation music

About a year ago I stumbled across a new type of music and I have listened to it ever since. Just now while sat in silence I thought I would put some music on and chose one of these particular albums. The music used to be thought provoking to me but now I find I am able to close my eyes and listen to it without thinking about anything at all, just hearing the instruments and focusing on my breathing. I do not know what music people typically use for meditation and wonder what other people might think of this music as a way to empty the mind. The genre is 'post-rock' although I don't know where the 'rock' element comes in to it, it is music without words and many claim it to be modern classical music. My favourite artists/bands are Explosions in the Sky, This Will Destroy You and 65 Days of Static, unusual names for such calming music! Here is a link to the song that is playing now as I write this, interested to know peoples thoughts:

LostLightsovaMaryAnne

Comments

• BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    Hmm... sounds like Sigeur Ros, with slightly more synthetic sounds, and shoddier production values.
    Not what I want to listen to for meditation.
    Silence is what I like for meditation.
    So maybe I'm the wrong person to give my opinion, as any music during meditation will get a big thumbs down from me.
  • Hmm... sounds like Sigeur Ros, with slightly more synthetic sounds, and shoddier production values.
    Not what I want to listen to for meditation.
    Silence is what I like for meditation.
    So maybe I'm the wrong person to give my opinion, as any music during meditation will get a big thumbs down from me.

How dare you compare this to Sigur Ros :P

They are extremely different. You'll never hear Sigur Ros play their guitars in this fashion.
  • Sound is just sound, nothing more. To observe it and not attach to it is right thinking, to give pleasure or displeasure to it is a sign of an untrained mind unaware and not mindful. To me the only thing meditation and music have in common is the 'm' :lol:
  • Sound is just sound, nothing more. To observe it and not attach to it is right thinking, to give pleasure or displeasure to it is a sign of an untrained mind unaware and not mindful. To me the only thing meditation and music have in common is the 'm' :lol:

Does this mean we should not find pleasure in music? Can we not find pleasure in it without attachment to it?

I'm fairly certain Buddhist monks find pleasure in various chants, which is a form of musical expression. I don't see why that is any different.
  • I was refering dircectly to using music whilst meditating in a formal way, sitting etc.
  • Awhile back someone posted a question asking if it was OK to have sex if you are a Buddhist. I responded that I would just give up Buddhism if the rule was "no sex", and I am going to reiterate, I would just quit Buddhism today if it meant not enjoying music!

That being said, I want quiet when I meditate. Except for the chirping of crickets in the summer-the best music to meditate to IMO. Or maybe the ocean, or the wind outside, or the rain...I like it to be as quiet as possible, I want to add no noise, and if I am somewhere, I want to hear all the ambient noises.
  • My point was that if you need to have music around during meditation you are creating a condition that you attach to, meditation should be abiding in what is, the way it is at that current time. We do not try to attain anything in meditation, rather let go of any attachment and watch as thoughts and conditions arise and pass, arise and pass. If music happens to be playing, observe it, reflect upon it, but to want it to be there in the first place is creating a construct, a condition that will lead to attachment and block the path.
    LostLight
  • I don't know... I mean, meditation can be quite hard. I figure if it helps you relax then go for it. Then maybe one day you'll just be like... This is actually kinda distracting... And maybe one day you won't :lol: but if you feel like its helping then I don't really see it as a problem. I think it could be useful in cultivating the skill of being meditative all the time, in all situations. Just a thought :)
    jessie70MaryAnne
  • Yes- totally agree with @RebeccaS! Whatever gets your butt on a cushion is what's best. I just can't meditate well with music because I get caught up in it. I could probably do a CD of certain settings, like "rain forest". It's been almost a week since I've meditated, so maybe some cool bluesy jazz and a glass of Shiraz could woo me back :-)
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Going back to the 4NTs, one must understand suffering, the suffering of not getting what we want or things not being the way we want them to be. So in my opinion putting on music to help create a 'calm' mind is not really reflecting upon much, it is merely creating a peaceful or enjoyable situation where you can find a brief period of happiness. I would advise maybe playing a recording of road works or a baby crying rather than music, you could learn more from that. Again, this is just my opinion.
    RebeccaS
  • This is kind of off topic, but I think this is comparable to using Marijuana to feel at ease instead of addressing the problem; It is an altered state of mind. In meditation we try to have as non-altered a state of mind as possible; in more serious meditations music clashes with the concept. I love my musical relaxation sessions, but I separate them from wisdom achieving meditation sessions.
    My suggestion is make time for both musical relaxation and meditation. Once you can differentiate the two it'll be a whole lot easier.
    ThailandTom
  • Lee82Lee82 Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Looks up Sigeur Ros...

@ThailandTom there is nothing to say you can't take pleasure from things, music, sex, video games, food

Thanks for all the comments, very insightful, the thing with music for me is that I have always been amazed by the association it can give to a past time and place. If I can learn, or have learnt, to listen and enjoy the music without that association and without attachment or desire to listen again then to me that means I have developed my mind and am better equipped to live in the present.

Edit: Perhaps having something to enjoy detracts from the meditation and I would be better without it but I do find it relaxes my mind, at least for now as a beginner.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    As with everything, it's a tool to be used in an efficient and constructive way as possible. Now and then, put it down. If you still need it, pick it up again. While it helps, use it. When you no longer need it, leave it aside.
  • I would warn against anything with too much musical form. The point of meditation is to still the mind, not stimulate more thoughts.

I recently bought a singing bowl for meditation. It is a marvellous tool. The tone and vibration seems to reach into your very soul. I would also recommend this series of Tibetan Singing Bowl music. It is more formless than commercial music and I think more conducive to meditation.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited September 2012
    I prefer not to meditate with music. I just end up focusing on the music... which is fine for times when I would like a distraction. I think poptart put it best, "still the mind, not stimulate more thoughts"

Maybe I'm just a little too austere. These days I do the whole facing a blank wall zen shabang.

For the record, I dig the song. I have a weird affinity for somewhat ambient music that I can just put on and feel like it's background music to my life. That's how that song strikes me.
  • Hi Lee82,

I really liked the music you shared with us. I often use music as "therapy"... to uplift, to think, to meditate, to emotionally purge. Music is the perfect tool for many things... Music without words/lyrics work best (for me, at least).

I don't do formal, sitting meditation, at least not for the last few years. I prefer to incorporate my thoughtfulness and mindfulness within nearly every activity I can, all day every day. I think this came about because now I am 'retired' and my days have only the structure I choose to impose on them- not a boss, or a scheduled job, schooling, etc., so I don't feel a need to 'set aside' a specific time for serious-get-down-to-it meditation -
    But even back when I did so, I would put on headphones and use various types of music, chanting, singing bowl sounds or nature sounds to relax me. It also helped to cancel out other household noises and distractions when one or more of my three kids were still living at home. :D

I always cringe when I hear anyone say that the Buddha/the precepts mean for us not to appreciate music, art or any of the other truly beautiful things in our world... that it was somehow a "sin" to enjoy these things. I will never, ever buy that one.

To me there is a very distinct difference between enjoying something for what it is and how it enhances ones' life -- and being "attached to it" in a negative way and to the detriment of other things one needs to be doing or should be caring about.

Oops, Sorry, I rambled a bit there. :o

• BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    MaryAnne said:

I always cringe when I hear anyone say that the Buddha/the precepts mean for us not to appreciate music, art or any of the other truly beautiful things in our world... that it was somehow a "sin" to enjoy these things. I will never, ever buy that one.

Look up the "seventh precept" for laypeople. It's explicit.
    It's not a "sin" to listen to music, maybe that comes from some judeo-christian perspective. But it is unskillful and distracting for serious laypeople to do so.
    You may not accept it personally, but it is accepted by both Mahayana and Theravada.
    And needless to say, the monks who follow the guidelines the Buddha gave us, do not deliberately listen to music.
    ThailandTom
  • I thought the first five precepts were for laypeople... 'serious' or not, but monks were to follow them all. So are you saying laypeople who don't follow ALL the precepts are not 'serious' Buddhists? That's a little judgmental, no?
    RebeccaS
    edited September 2012
    MaryAnne said:

So are you saying laypeople who don't follow ALL the precepts are not 'serious' Buddhists?

Hehehe, it's funny to see you reinterpreting my words in your head.
    No. Those who follow the five are serious, those who follow the eight are more serious, and those who follow the 227 rules and become monks are yet more more more serious.
  • I didn't reinterpret. I asked. I asked so as not to misinterpret. Thank you for clarifying. But I still find your comments a bit judgmental.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    @MaryAnne, Most Buddhists accept and follow the first 5. During particular Buddhist days of importance, the precepts are increased to also follow the ensuing three, making eight in all. It's a mark of reverence and an intention of respect. Some people follow all eight, all the time, others add the subsequent three as an indication of Effort.

That's all....