Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Pure Materialism vs Pure Metaphysicalism

DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
Okay, I've been reading cosmological arguments from both sides (atheist and religious) and there is a relatively consistent pattern with the two stances: one being materialistic and the other being metaphysical.

I've mentioned before that, while I'm not a theist per se, I'm not an atheist. I used to be, in fact my very first post on this site was about an atheist being interested in Buddhism, but the more I search and learn, the more I don't believe that this is all that we experience. Does that mean I think a separate entity made the universe? Not necessarily, but likewise I don't believe we are here due to a random expansion of compressed energy.

That being said, when reading these opposing arguments on the origins of our universe, the idea of both a purely materialistic or metaphysical universe are equally unfavorable.

One one hand, with materialism, there is no ultimate meaning. Yes, we add intristic value to our lives, but in the grand scheme of things, we are pointless. No goal to strive for; we are just born, we live following the laws of our society and then we die and rot. The end.

Conversely, with a universe created by God (let's assume the Abrahamic variety), there may be the reward (heaven) to strive for, but we have to bend to the will of a very angry and hypocritical God. Our free will is compromised and we lose what makes us human. Don't follow the rules and live your life your own way? Burn in Hell. Believe in every single thing that God bestows? Rewarded with heaven, but lose what individuality that there may be.

I suppose there is no real point to this post. I was just in the mood to hear all of your thoughts.

Comments

• All duality is falsely imagined. Including that between the material and non material worlds.
    The particular model of God that you reject is also rejected or not believed in, by Christian, Jewish, and Sufi mystics who have penetrated to the heart of their respective systems
    They repeatedly exclaim that there IS only God.
    Which may turn out to be non different to the Trikaya.
    DaftChrisstavros388
  • DaftChris said:

Okay, I've been reading cosmological arguments from both sides (atheist and religious) and there is a relatively consistent pattern with the two stances: one being materialistic and the other being metaphysical.

As is the case in all cases - different wrapping, same present!
    DaftChris said:

when reading these opposing arguments on the origins of our universe, the idea of both a purely materialistic or metaphysical universe are equally unfavorable.

Probably because both are half-baked - or perhaps the nature / purpose of the universe is beyond our comprehension in the sense that our comprehension is suitable to a reality that is limited within the extent of possible realities in the universe (thus our comprehension is inherently qualified).
    DaftChris said:

One one hand, with materialism, there is no ultimate meaning. Yes, we add intristic value to our lives, but in the grand scheme of things, we are pointless. No goal to strive for; we are just born, we live following the laws of our society and then we die and rot. The end.

If you perceive no 'meaning' (in a significant sense for you) in the scenario then it will have no meaning - I am led to understand from people who have a greater affinity to numbers and equations that there are trends and symmetries which hint at a 'meaning'... or hint at a meaning for those so inclined.
    DaftChris said:

Conversely, with a universe created by God (let's assume the Abrahamic variety), there may be the reward (heaven) to strive for, but we have to bend to the will of a very angry and hypocritical God. Our free will is compromised and we lose what makes us human. Don't follow the rules and live your life your own way? Burn in Hell. Believe in every single thing that God bestows? Rewarded with heaven, but lose what individuality that there may be.

The history of religion is an interesting one - look further into it and you may find a version of God that is suitable and in any case, perhaps less of a slave master...
    DaftChris said:

I suppose there is no real point to this post. I was just in the mood to hear all of your thoughts.

Ditto :p
    DaftChris
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    The nice thing about Buddhism is that it splits these two, right down the middle!
    DaftChris
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    I am almost into the "Pure Materialism" camp. There is no evidence to support the claim. Why bother to have "faith" into it?
    DaftChris
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2012
    Over the years, I've found myself going back and forth on this. I started out sort of awed by, and curious about, the unknown, the things that were difficult for people to explain such as ghosts, UFOs, out of body experiences, etc. That's probably one of the reasons I was drawn towards things like Paganism and the occult when I was younger, particularly after having strange experiences myself, like an out of body experience and having a couple of dreams that came true.

After a while, though, I started reading less about that stuff and more about things like scientific research into the workings of the brain and the work of skeptics who debunk a lot of the stuff I once believed in (e.g., James Randi); and I found myself being swayed into a more materialistic worldview, discounting my out of body experience as a lucid dream and my dreams coming true as mere coincidence, and being skeptical of 'supernatural' things in general.

Nowadays, I've sort of moved more towards the middle, where I'm still skeptical about these kinds of things, but also open-minded about them since much of what science is uncovering these days is quite amazing and almost beyond belief, e.g., check out this Scientific American article about researchers entangling the quantum states of two diamonds and this Wired article about observing quantum entanglement. It's almost as unbelievable as the literal interpretation of rebirth. :p

As for meaning, well, that's not something I worry too much about anymore. The universe is such a vast and complex place that it boggles my mind, and I simply don't have the intellectual capability to discern a meaning to it or my small place within it. But it's not as depressing as it may sound since I have a lot of things that give my life meaning; and the things in life I don't understand still awe me and pique my curiosity. I just don't spend as much time dwelling on them as I used to.
    DaftChris
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Life has a knack of spiriting its miracles away as one turns to pick up the camera.

You'll never find the discarded paint pot or see the scaffolding behind a canvas of stars.
  • The prajnaparamita sutras reject materialism right off the bat. All dharmas are empty of self-nature.

Chemistry is the study of material. These materials have space and mass, which is how a material is recognized. But the scientist is an awareness and 'space'/'mass' wouldn't be anything if nobody were observing.

Metaphysics is also rejected in that there is nothing hidden: form is emptiness and emptiness is form. No increase and no decrease. No purity and no impurity. No path. Having no attainment there is no fear.
    Om Homage to the Perfection of Wisdom the Lovely, the Holy !

Avalokita, the Holy Lord and Bodhisattva, was moving in the deep course of the Wisdom which has gone beyond.

He looked down from on high, He beheld but five heaps, and He saw that in their own-being they were empty.

Here, O Sariputra,

form is emptiness and the very emptiness is form ;

emptiness does not differ from form, form does not differ from emptiness, whatever is emptiness, that is form,

the same is true of feelings, perceptions, impulses, and consciousness.

Here, O Sariputra,

all dharmas are marked with emptiness ;

they are not produced or stopped, not defiled or immaculate, not deficient or complete.

Therefore, O Sariputra,

in emptiness there is no form nor feeling, nor perception, nor impulse, nor consciousness ;

No eye, ear, nose, tongue, body, mind ; No forms, sounds, smells, tastes, touchables or objects of mind ; No sight-organ element, and so forth, until we come to :

No mind-consciousness element ; There is no ignorance, no extinction of ignorance, and so forth, until we come to : There is no decay and death, no extinction of decay and death. There is no suffering, no origination, no stopping, no path.

There is no cognition, no attainment and no non-attainment.

Therefore, O Sariputra,

it is because of his non-attainmentness that a Bodhisattva, through having relied on the Perfection of Wisdom, dwells without thought-coverings. In the absence of thought-coverings he has not been made to tremble,

he has overcome what can upset, and in the end he attains to Nirvana.

All those who appear as Buddhas in the three periods of time fully awake to the utmost, right and perfect Enlightenment because they have relied on the Perfection of Wisdom.

Therefore one should know the prajnaparamita as the great spell, the spell of great knowledge, the utmost spell, the unequalled spell, allayer of all suffering, in truth -- for what could go wrong ? By the prajnaparamita has this spell been delivered. It runs like this :

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha.

( Gone, gone, gone beyond, gone altogether beyond, O what an awakening, all-hail ! -- )

This completes the Heart of perfect Wisdom.
    You see? Materialsim is a thought. Metaphysics is empty of all dharmas.
    DaftChris
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    What does "pure" mean? Maybe we should start there, before we get to all this other stuff.
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    @TheBeejAbides

What I mean by "pure" materialism and metaphysicalism is this:

Those who believe/know there is absolutely nothing outside of our material world. No God, heaven, no chance of there being a creator to the universe. We are here due to insinuating circumstances and nothing more.

And

Those who believe/know that there is absolutely no chance of there not being a creator to the universe. Everything is because of God's design and if you don't believe in it, you will suffer the consequences.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Is there any room for a metaphysics without God?
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    edited October 2012
    I think when you get into the extremes and you tie yourself to "sides" you hinder your ability to see the "whole" of it. Your viewpoint narrows and you start to "look" for ways to prove yourself or your opinion as right. Sicking yourself into a viewpoint and claiming it as "right" can be as silly as two men sticking a flag into the moon and claiming it for a country. But we're people, so we'll do all types of silly stuff, until we choose something else. And that something else might be to not make any such claims at all. Just be. Experience the moment. That's what pure, IMO.
    DaftChris
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2012
    DaftChris said:

@TheBeejAbides

Those who believe/know there is absolutely nothing outside of our material world. No God, heaven, no chance of there being a creator to the universe. We are here due to insinuating circumstances and nothing more.

And

Those who believe/know that there is absolutely no chance of there not being a creator to the universe. Everything is because of God's design and if you don't believe in it, you will suffer the consequences.

When I was younger, I had a feeling or belief that there was something more than just the physical world I could see, hear, smell, taste, touch, something that contained and permeated the whole world. I labelled that thing God, and conceived of it in much the same was as most Abrahamic religions view God, i.e., as a personal, omnipotent, omniscient, creator God.

I began studying religious philosophies such as Christianity, Judaism, and various forms of theistic mysticism trying to understand and connect with that hidden reality, which was there but simply obscured by the complexities of life, the world, and all the things we do to complicate our lives. After time passed, however, that feeling evolved, and while I still felt there was something worth looking for, I began looking for it within myself. And in the process, I started to move away from thinking about this underlying reality as an aspect of a personal, omnipotent, omniscient, creator God.

My beliefs about God then evolved into a type of deism, where God was no longer a personal being, but an impersonal force comprising the universe, as a consciousness permeating the very fabric of the universe itself, connecting all things.

This, too, however, changed and I dropped the notion of God altogether. Whether it was due to my inability to understand and connect with God, theological dilemmas such as the 'problem of evil,' or the lack of evidence which swayed me, I don't know, but the idea of God became less and less important to me and my practice. Around this time, I discovered Buddhism, and found that it gave me a contemplative and spiritual path without having to take a position on, nor rely upon, a creator God I couldn't fathom or seemingly interact with.

Today, I still have feelings of interconnectedness and awe, and when I do, I tend to seek out other spiritual people and places, like Buddhist monks, fellow meditators, Christian churches, or whatnot. And this often sparks some of those thoughts about God that I used to have, and I find myself musing over the idea. But that, too, passes, and all I'm left with is the present moment.
    DaftChris
  • DaftChris said:

@TheBeejAbides

And

Well, perhaps the answer is outside of those two. There is a lot of room for other interpretatoins, for example the Buddha's view.
  • Did the Buddha have a view? ;)
  • person said:

Is there any room for a metaphysics without God?

Yes. In fact there is no room for a metaphysics with Him. Monotheism is not a systematic metaphysical theory but non-reductive and thus non-metaphysical, while Nagarjuna shows us how to complete a reductive and metaphysical theory. But not everyone defines 'metaphysics' in quite the same way, which confuses things.

Maybe there could be a successful theistic metaphysics, but not if we suppose that God is fundamental. We would have to go with Sufism, Kabbalism etc., or 'mysticism', and say that there is something prior to God. Then a coherent metaphysics becomes possible.

person
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited October 2012
    DaftChris said:

I've mentioned before that, while I'm not a theist per se, I'm not an atheist. I used to be, in fact my very first post on this site was about an atheist being interested in Buddhism, but the more I search and learn, the more I don't believe that this is all that we experience. Does that mean I think a separate entity made the universe? Not necessarily, but likewise I don't believe we are here due to a random expansion of compressed energy.

That being said, when reading these opposing arguments on the origins of our universe, the idea of both a purely materialistic or metaphysical universe are equally unfavorable.

One problem with pure materialism is that the part which relies on it is itself, non-material. We've stripped each other down to the smallest of slices and have yet to find something we can call the mind.

One problem with pure metaphysics is that it fails to accept empiracal evidence for the physical laws or cycles of how the physical world goes.

Many Atheists acknowledge my view of God but refuse to call it God. I'm not even sure why I capitalise it because I don't see it as a proper noun.

Personally, I don't like assuming an Abrahamic view of God when discussing the possibility of God. If God is a personality, somehow I figure it would be a little more enlightened than to be jealous, spiteful and angry.

Plus the idea that it knows everything. This makes no sense to me and never has. If God knows everything and is all powerful (whatever that really means) then it is all very pointless indeed.

Or the idea that it created everything... To create everything, one would have to start the chain of cause and effect. However, creation is an action and so deciding to create implies that cause and effect is already happening. Not only that but an eternal creator wouldn't just "decide" one day to create, it would be eternally creating.

It makes no sense to have a true starting point or first cause in either scenario.

God to me is a process of discovery. Waking up one aspect at a time.

We are not beings, we are simply being.

Just my view from here.

I think Carl Sagan had a nice mixture of the two in his perspective.

"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself"
    --Car Sagan

• In Abrahamic mysticism, the metaphysical transcends existence and non existence, for example fana-il-fana, the Ain soph aur and the godless 'heights' experienced by Meister Ekhart.

In Buddhism we start from the revelation of this 'ultimate'.
    If you experience (as opposed to mind chatter) either cod or no cod, what of it . . . There are bigger fish to fry than God envy. :)
  • DaftChris:

Materialism is a hypothesis and metaphysical assertions are in reality hypotheses. Both leave us with what are fundamentally insoluble problems although we imagine otherwise. This is the problem with theology, too, which is a more tangible, simpler form of metaphysics.

Jeffrey
  • DaftChris said:

All 'meaning' is created by a perceiver; none is "intrinsic". As an atheist, it's easy to see that even the meaning in life that God supposedly gives us is just more stuff that people made up.

As human beings, our responsibility is to choose our values, and to then try live by then.

Luckily for us, Buddhism is a great help in this endeavour.
    Jeffrey
  • Songhill said:

DaftChris:

Materialism is a hypothesis and metaphysical assertions are in reality hypotheses. Both leave us with what are fundamentally insoluble problems although we imagine otherwise. This is the problem with theology, too, which is a more tangible, simpler form of metaphysics.

Being a pedantic person I'd like to politely disagree. All metaphysical problems were solved by Nagarjuna. Any that remain are empirical, viz. the problem of how to confirm that his solution is true as opposed to just logically sound. This cannot be done intellectually.

Your view is the most common one by far, but I am arrogant enough to believe it is false. Metaphysics proves that all extreme views are logically indefensible, and this leaves only the correct solution. It is this logical analysis that led me to Buddhism in the first place. I knew nothing at all about it at the time but converted within ten seconds of discovering that it is the rejection of all extreme metaphysical positions, having already decided on the basis of logic alone that this is the only solution to metaphysics that works.

I sometimes think that Buddhists sell themselves short by not pointing this out more regularly.

A metaphysical statement is an hypothesis if we do not know it is true. If we do know, however, then it is no longer an hypothesis. So such statements may or may not be hypothetical.

Or so it seems to me...

person
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I really like your posts @Florian, I'm guessing that you've studied philosophy. I think for most people, myself included until more recently, don't understand the legitamacy and proof of formal logic and so assume that an argument wrung through the rigors of formal logic aren't any more valid than any other argument.
  • Thank you. Yes. Lots of people take your view. It is not widely noticed that the Buddhist worldview is the only one that survives logical analysis. It's really quite simple. Philsophers have long known that all extreme metaphysical views are logically absurd. Kant puts it as "All selective conclusions about the world as a whole are undecidable". This is a fact of philosophy. We then have a straight choice of how to respond. We can say that metaphyscis is useless, with Carnap and Russell, or we can say that this proves that Nagarjuna's non-selective conclusion is correct, and therefore that the Buddha's doctrine must be essentially correct.

So logic can lead us to water, it just cannot make us drink. Logical anlaysis is only rational thinking, after all, and the Buddha does encourage us to apply this to his words.

Philosophy becomes fairly simple once one gets the hang of this point about extreme positions. All worldviews except one can be dismissed quite easily, which means only one worldview needs to be studied. It gives one great confidence in discussions with sceptics to know that ones philosophical view is the only one that cannot be refuted in logic, and that this can be proved. Nagarjuna's metaphysics does not get the attention it deserves I would say, but I must admit he doesn't make it easy to understand.

I never know how much to say about all this, since it sends many people straight to sleep.

• DaftChris said:

OK, listen up. Ommmmmmmmmm.

DaftChris