Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditiation?

edited June 2006 in Sanghas
I'm sorry if this has been asked many times over (which I would have thought it would have) but I saw no obvious sticky threads for it and searching didn't seem to turn up anything relevant other than maybe something Potatoe based..

Anyway, how does one.. 'meditiate' and achieve clarity of mind? My life is... chaotic to say the least and trying to clear my mind without knowledge of any other methods other than my own is... impossible I think would be the term. Never able to clear everything out or stop rogue thoughts taking the reigns very often. I'd like to try and create calm in my own mind so that I may finally calm the chaos, if only for a little while. It may also help me in some other fields that I am currently exploring that I believe would benefit from a calm and quiet mind.

Thank you.

Comments

• edited June 2006
    This is a pretty good guide that might help.
    http://www.bswa.org/modules/icontent/index.php?page=93
  • edited June 2006
    Welcome to the group and take a load off your feet.

I am always wary of beginning with an end in mind. For me, it limits the possiblilities and if things don't go as planned can lead to further disillusion and disappointment. Go easy on yourself.
  • edited June 2006
    Hi Hodgetts, and welcome :)

I found this link on zazen meditation invaluable. Hope it helps.

Sas :buck:
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited June 2006
    You can also check out this thread on Mindfulness of Breathing (Anapana Sati):
    http://www.newbuddhist.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27952&postcount=3

In particular, Post #3 might be helpful to you.

Good luck!

_/\_
    metta
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Hodgetts...

I would also have to say (and I would like those more learn-ed to correct me if I am wrong) - but don't look at meditation to be the end-all-be-all in removing the chaos from your life.

The teachings of Buddha and incorporting those teachings into our life along with meditation is what will help remove, or help you come to terms with, the chaos in your life.

And even then... life is suffering.

Maybe check out some of our Dhammapada posts.

-bf
  • edited June 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    I would also have to say (and I would like those more learn-ed to correct me if I am wrong) - but don't look at meditation to be the end-all-be-all in removing the chaos from your life.

Heh, don't worry about that, I wasn't thinking along that line at all, I meant just in my mind while trying to focus or relax, not my actual life itself.
    For the record I'm not really new, as per my join date being 2003, I have been reading the forums occasionally since joining, although I never really had anything to ask or say hence the postcount and silence.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited June 2006
    "hence the postcount and silence..."

Some things I could learn from you ;)

-bf
  • edited June 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    "hence the postcount and silence..."

Some things I could learn from you ;)

-bf

YAY!!! :cheer: :lol:

Sas :buck: