Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The echo

NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
Anger management lesson for me.

Today I had to treat a wound that one of my dogs, a wound my dog inflicted upon itself because of high protein level ( allergic dermatitis) , which made her ( it's a female ) go crazy and literally chew herself. Because I was alone at home, I had to play the role of the assistant (who would restrain the dog not to run all around ) and the role of the vet at the same time. I couldn't quite keep a solid 26 kg dog in place , so I had to chase the dog nearly the whole house to apply hydrogen peroxide to the wound. I had prepared my materials...and I had to chase the dog. My anger went through the roof and I just hit the table ( happened in the kitchen ) with the hydro-peroxide bottle ( made of plastic ). The hit produced an echo , and after I heard the echo, I sat for a minute in silence. I realized how my anger, how my behavior how my swearing was just a theatrical play, the only difference being that nobody beside me could notice. After this I chilled down a little and resumed my wound treatment.

Still, I'm considering it a small lesson for today.

Comments

• haha... I know that feeling. I have thought about setting up some cameras in the house to catch my behaviour, so I can see how ridiculous I am being.
  • Sounds like quite a moment of insight.
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    @Jeffrey

Indeed. I felt sorry for me for behaving stupidly. I saw how my mind simply let the 'flood gates' open and all the mental debris just flooded the whole present moment. After that I continued to swear, but that was out of a bad reflex.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    poor dog.
    NomaDBuddha
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited October 2012

@Jeffrey

Indeed. I felt sorry for me for behaving stupidly. I saw how my mind simply let the 'flood gates' open and all the mental debris just flooded the whole present moment. After that I continued to swear, but that was out of a bad reflex.

What a precious, almost magical, moment of insight! Good work, both spiritually, and medically. :ok: It looks like Buddhism is a practice that fits very well with medical/veterinary work. They dovetail in an interesting, and helpful way. "Skillful means", they call it. Very valuable in medicine! :)

@Federica

I know...it had to endure things physically, and mentally :))
    @Dakini

It was JUST one moment. ( I secretly hope that I'll have more of these moments were I'm mindful enough to see my ow nsel
  • One moment is all it takes! ;)

Yes, and we can hope for many more.