Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Cancer as a Part-Time Job

Some people I know, who both have cancer, got together for lunch today and one of them mentioned to the other that, in his opinion, "Cancer is a part-time job."

We've (including the husband of one patient, who brought it up) been talking about it all day at work, because it kind of shifts ones view on how to deal with cancer. Many people try to keep everything normal, "plus" cancer, only to find that ones life is overwhelmed with all the aspects of dealing with the disease. If one acknowledges cancer as a part-time job (depending on your cancer), though, it kind of frees you up, mentally, to assign the energy necessary to the task of working towards wellness.

Anyway--I promised I'd share it, since, despite several years of endless cancer conversations, this particular perspective hadn't come up in our circle. Amazing how eye-opening one new thought can be.
ThailandTomsovaFullCircleemmyjay

Comments

• If I ever get cancer, I will kill myself immediately. No treatment, no false hopes, no living like a vegetable. I will end it.
    lobster
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    music said:

If I ever get cancer, I will kill myself immediately. No treatment, no false hopes, no living like a vegetable. I will end it.

:(
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Sile said:

Some people I know, who both have cancer, got together for lunch today and one of them mentioned to the other that, in his opinion, "Cancer is a part-time job."

We've (including the husband of one patient, who brought it up) been talking about it all day at work, because it kind of shifts ones view on how to deal with cancer. Many people try to keep everything normal, "plus" cancer, only to find that ones life is overwhelmed with all the aspects of dealing with the disease. If one acknowledges cancer as a part-time job (depending on your cancer), though, it kind of frees you up, mentally, to assign the energy necessary to the task of working towards wellness.

Anyway--I promised I'd share it, since, despite several years of endless cancer conversations, this particular perspective hadn't come up in our circle. Amazing how eye-opening one new thought can be.

Thank you for bringing this up!
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited October 2012
    music said:

If I ever get cancer, I will kill myself immediately. No treatment, no false hopes, no living like a vegetable. I will end it.

Whoa, there, brother! Better not end it if you get basal cell or even squamous cell carcinoma, because they have a cure rate of 95%!

I totally agree with the concept of considering no chemo/radiation, but I would absolutely not end life prematurely. Through healthy living, or a combination even of chemo and healthy living, one can extend ones' life a long, long time. And even with unhealthy living, one can live a long, long time. My elderly neighbor had bladder cancer for close to ten years and didn't really go downhill until the very end.

In general, except for very certain cancers, though, I've pretty much decided I would take the naturopath route and not the chemo route.

• music said:

Wow. Talk about a defeatist attitude....
    I sincerely hope you will never seek (any sort of) work in the medical field.

BTW- My mother survived Cancer - twice- and is now 83 yrs old.

SileRebeccaSsovalobster
  • music said:

Sorry but I must say by reading various posts of yours and especially this one, I assume you are fairly young and also quite opinionated with a dash of ignorance. I am not being insulting or bad, I am critical. A wise person listens to those who are critical of you because they may see faults in you which you do not see.

If you had cancer you would kill yourself just like that? Even if it was treatable? You would make all of those who care for you suffer at a sudden death because you think that is the right idea? I wonder if you actually had cancer you would hold the same idea...
    lobster
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Cancer is treatable, and curable for a lot of people. Millions of people have been successfully treated and lived many years. I'm glad the kids who get cancer don't give up (or have parents who give up on them.)

That said, the best way to avoid cancer is to eat living food. You can significantly affect your likelihood of cancer by simply having a good diet, mostly by avoiding processed foods.

Sile, that's a great way of looking at it and can definitely change a perspective. Thank you for sharing it. I've mentioned before that our 4 year old is a diabetic, and because of his age his care is around the clock, even getting up in the middle of the night every night to test his blood sugar. But even on the hardest days, it's still "only" a part time job because our life doesn't resolve around it, we just deal with whatever at the time it has to be dealt with and then we play at the park or whatever.
    SileMaryAnneemmyjaylobster
  • SileSile Veteran
    Man - diabetes is intense. Kudos to you and your family for taking it in stride; sounds like your little guy will be raised with a great and positive attitude toward his personal situation.
  • RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited October 2012

music said:

Sorry but I must say by reading various posts of yours and especially this one, I assume you are fairly young and also quite opinionated with a dash of ignorance. I am not being insulting or bad, I am critical. A wise person listens to those who are critical of you because they may see faults in you which you do not see.

If you had cancer you would kill yourself just like that? Even if it was treatable? You would make all of those who care for you suffer at a sudden death because you think that is the right idea? I wonder if you actually had cancer you would hold the same idea...
    He has what looks like depression. @PrarieGhost addressed this in another thread. It's not just a case of being young or ignorant or opinionated, it's a medical problem. While you're correct to be critical of this kind of view, understand that these opinions come from people who aren't feeling as well as they could be for reasons only a doctor can really put his finger on.
  • Has @music declared that he has feelings of depression? I might have missed it if he has.
    If depression could be diagnosed by reading someone's post on the Internet, we could all be doctors.
    I go with young and uninformed.
    edited October 2012
    robot said:

Has @music declared that he has feelings of depression? I might have missed it if he has.
    If depression could be diagnosed by reading someone's post on the Internet, we could all be doctors.
    I go with young and uninformed.

That's why I said it looks like depression, and that only a doctor can put his finger on it. My advice for @music is to seek a professional opinion.

Doctor or not, something is clearly "off" and it warrants investigation. By a professional :)
    MaryAnne
  • SileSile Veteran
    Oh, I don't know--I've had similar drastic thoughts, after watching too many people die of cancer. I'm pretty sure I've even said, partly in jest, something pretty close to what @music said about taking oneself out of the picture. With all due respect, I don't think we can say definitively that someone must seek professional attention just because they express a fear of cancer.
    edited October 2012
    It's not just the opinions expressed in this thread, @Sile, it's his posts all over the board.

Obviously it's up to @music to decide if his opinions and world view warrant some professional insight, but I don't think we'd be doing the right thing by him if we just ignored his comments and didn't suggest that a quick check up might be in order. I'd rather be wrong about his depression or whatever it might be than ignore it.
  • Cancer survival owes a lot to the placebo effect (so think positive thoughts). Still, the mortality rate from cancer covering a span from 1900 to 2012 shows no significant drop in mortality rates (which would imply a real cure). In fact, it could be argued that the mortality rate from cancer has actually increased since 1900. On a somewhat cynical note, more money is made by not finding a real cure for cancer.
    music
  • edited October 2012
    I am a middle-aged man, and it is offensive when people keep talking down to me. We all have different views, and while some of you may cling to life at the expense of pain, others may decide otherwise. Some of us don't value the flesh all that much. When the time comes, we are happy to say goodbye instead of clinging to the body at all costs.
    SileOneLifeFormlobster
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Songhill said:

Cancer survival owes a lot to the placebo effect (so think positive thoughts). Still, the mortality rate from cancer covering a span from 1900 to 2012 shows no significant drop in mortality rates (which would imply a real cure). In fact, it could be argued that the mortality rate from cancer has actually increased since 1900. On a somewhat cynical note, more money is made by not finding a real cure for cancer.

Very interesting, @Songhill, I didn't know there hadn't been a drop in mortality rate. I'm afraid I totally agree with your last point :( Even the term "cure for cancer" carries the implicit message that it's all about waiting to get it, then trying (paying) to fight it, as opposed to preventing it in the first place.

music
  • @music Sorry for assuming you are young. My mistake.
    musiclobster
  • music said:

I am a middle-aged man, and it is offensive when people keep talking down to me. We all have different views, and while some of you may cling to life at the expense of pain, others may decide otherwise. Some of us don't value the flesh all that much. When the time comes, we are happy to say goodbye instead of clinging to the body at all costs.

It is skillful to want to live because it affords us the opportunity to practice, even if we have a terminal disease. There is suffering and our relationship/reaction to it is important.
    RebeccaSlobster
  • tmottes said:

music said:

It is skillful to want to live because it affords us the opportunity to practice, even if we have a terminal disease. There is suffering and our relationship/reaction to it is important.
    Some of us find it hard to practice even with all the comforts. You think practice will be easier with a terminal illness? All I am saying is people are different - we all see the world differently.
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    @musics killing yourself would only cause More suffering .... but you don't have cancer anyway, so why speculate ^.^

@Sile That's really neat to think about annoying-medical-condition as a part-time job ... it's really cool! Cancer doesn't necessarily ruin your ability to enjoy life, and it's very insightful to see people regarding it as just another aspect to deal with than as something completely debilitating and crushing. Spirits high! ^.^
  • Sile:
    Very interesting, @Songhill, I didn't know there hadn't been a drop in mortality rate. I'm afraid I totally agree with your last point Even the term "cure for cancer" carries the implicit message that it's all about waiting to get it, then trying (paying) to fight it, as opposed to preventing it in the first place.
    When I started to look at cancer, not in terms of survival rates (this is where the data often gets fudged), but under mortality rates (deaths per 100,000), I was astonished. We are making zero headway.

The etiology of cancer and just exactly what a cancer cell is remains a mystery. (Cancer could well be a fungus. Johns Hopkins recently used the drug itraconazole, commonly used to treat toenail fungus, to stop the growth of new blood vessels seen in cancers.)

http://www.naturalnews.com/035876_baking_soda_cancer_fungus.html#ixzz28FrJzHg8
    Sile
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    has the mortality rate not dropped, or are we simply seeing that many more cases of low treatment success cancers? I think it's more the latter, the skin, bowel, and pancreas cancers are some of the hardest to treat and many of them are somewhat preventable by diet and lifestyle. You can't treat it and save your life but you can prevent yourself from getting it. More people get the cancers that kill you because of their lifestyle. Not even just them personally but the lifestyle of the western world. When you compare cancer and other disease rates to people who are not living westernized lifestyles, there is a huge differences in the cases of all cancers, and especially digestive and reproductive cancers. Cancer sometimes is just a crap shoot, but most often, we do it to ourselves.
    SileMaryAnne
  • It all depends on the kind of cancer, the age of the person, and how early it is detected.
    From WebMD:

http://www.webmd.com/cancer/news/20080716/cancer-survival-rates-vary-by-country

The highest survival rates were found in the U.S. for breast and prostate cancer, in Japan for colon and rectal cancers in men, and in France for colon and rectal cancers in women, Coleman's team reports.
    In Canada and Australia, survival was also high for most cancers.
    The lowest cancer survival rates for all four cancers were found in Algeria.

There have been astounding jumps in 5-yr survival rates among many types of cancer in children between 1962 and 2007. Chart can be seen here:

http://www.stjude.org/stjude/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=5b25e64c5b470110VgnVCM1000001e0215acRCRD

Really can't rely on a blanket statement regarding "mortality rates" not going down where cancer is concerned, because the fact is, childhood cancer is being treated more successfully than ever before, and cancer seems to be the cause of death (more often than not) in much OLDER people....
    So even though cancer is the cause of death, these people are still living well beyond what the average life expectancy was just a short 60-75 yrs ago- cancer or no cancer.

We also know and classify many more types of Cancer than ever before as well. Up until just a couple of generations ago, the cause of death was very much generalized - even to the point of just labeling it "natural causes" or "related to old age"....

RebeccaS
  • @Music

You said you are a middle-aged man.... I searched around to see if you had posted an introduction anywhere and I came up empty. So why not tell us a little bit about yourself? How old are you, really? Where are you from? What do you do? Do you have a wife? Family? Kids? I'm intrigued.
  • MaryAnne:
    Really can't rely on a blanket statement regarding "mortality rates" not going down where cancer is concerned, because the fact is, childhood cancer is being treated more successfully than ever before, and cancer seems to be the cause of death (more often than not) in much OLDER people....
    So even though cancer is the cause of death, these people are still living well beyond what the average life expectancy was just a short 60-75 yrs ago- cancer or no cancer.
    It doesn't matter how many people survive five years after the initial diagnosis, it can't change the cancer mortality rates. Early diagnosis can make the survival rates seem large but say, in six years or in ten years, the patient dies from cancer, he is still counted as a cancer survivor although he is quite dead from cancer. Neither heart disease nor cancer mortality rades have diminished. That is a fact.
  • MaryAnne said:

@Music

You said you are a middle-aged man.... I searched around to see if you had posted an introduction anywhere and I came up empty. So why not tell us a little bit about yourself? How old are you, really? Where are you from? What do you do? Do you have a wife? Family? Kids? I'm intrigued.

I have no kids, not married. I do nothing (in the worldly sense). As my profile indicates, I am from India. My dream is to go to Persia.
    lobster

• @Music

Aaah, International Man of Mystery.....

(Not really willing to open up, huh?) ;)
    lobster
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    edited October 2012
    music said:

Some of us find it hard to practice even with all the comforts. You think practice will be easier with a terminal illness? All I am saying is people are different - we all see the world differently.

@music I think the urgency of practice could be different with a terminal illness. I also think that a dedicated practice is not easy in any situation, and overcoming inertia is always the hardest part.

@sile that is a very good observation. In that karma talk by Thanissaro Bhukku, he mentioned the teachings the Buddha gave his son about analyzing his actions. He tells his son, if you recognize an action you took as unskillful, then "confess" the unskillful action to a trusted person. Don't get me wrong I am not saying that you having cancer is unskillful, but perhaps we can take that advice on a more broad scale. Acknowledging our limitations/vulnerabilities in a more formal setting then our own mind, may helps us get a more clear picture of what needs to be done. In other words, it releases a bit of pressure/stress and allows us to focus a bit more on the task at hand and/or an overall goal.

EDIT: Added vulnerabilities after limitations.
  • SileSile Veteran
    Very much agree, @music; that's the context in which we were discussing it, too, a mindshift towards accepting the cancer as something that needs and merits attention and effort. I.e. you're not failing by dropping down to half-time at your regular work, and using the new time for the work it takes to hopefully regain health.
  • I've done a lot of thinking and research on this subject after having a breast lump scare last year (I'm 34). After researching statistics as well as hearing many people (friends included) who've had chemo or radiation saying they would never do it again, my approach is to just live as healthfully as I can (vegan, lots of raw veg) and let the chips fall where they may. If I was ever diagnosed I would not do chemo/radio anyway so I don't do the screening tests, either. Nor, despite being a redhead, am I overly vigilant about sun protection. I don't take unnecessary risks but I refuse to overthink it.

Many people would think I was stupid for taking this approach but after the psychological distress I used to endure when I was fixated on the possibility of getting it, and seeing the alarmist ad campaigns and widespread paranoia, I prefer this approach. It may shorten my life, it may not.
    Silemusic
  • I've done a lot of thinking and research on this subject after having a breast lump scare last year (I'm 34). After researching statistics as well as hearing many people (friends included) who've had chemo or radiation saying they would never do it again, my approach is to just live as healthfully as I can (vegan, lots of raw veg) and let the chips fall where they may. If I was ever diagnosed I would not do chemo/radio anyway so I don't do the screening tests, either. Nor, despite being a redhead, am I overly vigilant about sun protection. I don't take unnecessary risks but I refuse to overthink it.

Many people would think I was stupid for taking this approach but after the psychological distress I used to endure when I was fixated on the possibility of getting it, and seeing the alarmist ad campaigns and widespread paranoia, I prefer this approach. It may shorten my life, it may not.

Somebody at work was telling me that some recent studies (based on comparison of those receiving treatment vs those not) suggest that on average, chemo treatments don't actually extend a persons life. So you go through all that stress and expense only to live just as long as those who didn't. It is an average so obviously different cancers, treatments and people will experience varied milage.

I didn't vet this research, so it is probably worth poking around the 'net before taking it as true. If I recall right the study was done in CO... might help anybody looking for it. He said it was featured on PBS, possibly frontline.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Was it this one - Chemotherapy and Breast Cancer, from NOVA (broadcast on PBS)?

http://video.pbs.org/video/2212210273/
  • Cool, thanks. Yeah, everything I've read about chemo leaves me totally unconvinced of its efficacy, not to mention the well-established long-term side effects. I certainly wouldn't tell anyone else not to have it, but for me? Nope.

I think, too, we have to take variables into account. For example, if someone goes on a raw food diet and reduces stress while being on chemotherapy, why is remission automatically attributed to the chemotherapy? Correlation doesn't equal causation.

Also, there are many, many people receiving hideously invasive and life-threatening treatment for tumours which will never kill them.

I'm not naive enough to think that cancer is not ever life-threatening. For me deciding on treatment or even screening tests is a matter of cost-benefit analysis. When I examined my fear of cancer, I realised I wasn't afraid of cancer so much as being a "cancer patient". Subtle but important difference.
    Silemusic
  • Sile said:

Was it this one - Chemotherapy and Breast Cancer, from NOVA (broadcast on PBS)?

http://video.pbs.org/video/2212210273/

Could be... I didn't see the actual show. I will watch this now, thanks for digging it up.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    At the age of 63, I have had some health problems, some of them serious. The experiences have been painful, some psychologically so, some physically so, some both.
    BUT ... they have created the opportunity to make huge strides forward in my Buddhist practice, and these gains .. they are permanent. The benefit of them is so significant that, if given the choice of those health problems, I would choose them all over again.

As Buddhists we tend to focus on our 'desire', and how to not be hooked by it. But we tend to forget that our aversions are just as important to work with as our desire. We don't become free of something by running away from it.
    I think, if I got Cancer, that I would see it as one more challenge to work with the dharma, to gain wisdom and strength.

After all, the First Noble Truth IS that suffering happens. If we, as Buddhists, accept the very basic teachings - the 4 Noble Truths - why do we fight the reality of suffering so much? Seems that we need to work through it ... not run away from the opportunity to grow. Buddhism is not about making our life "good" ... it is about becoming free from needing it to be "good" and also becoming free from this need "fixing" things that are "not good".
    There was a Tibetan monk imprisoned for many years by the Chinese, taken out of his cell and beaten every day. Finally, his freedom was obtained and he was brought to the West. In an interview, when asked "What were you most afraid of during your years of imprisonment?", he replied, "That I would lose compassion for those who beat me."
    Now there is someone who understood where our focus is supposed to be as Buddhists.
    SileJeffrey
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    BTW, I suspect I would have trouble FINDING compassion, let alone KEEPING it!
  • Ok, so I'm new here, haven't gone into my life that much but this caught my attention. I'm now 40, when I was 33 I was diagnosed with acute leukemia, given a 35% survival rate. Here I am, 6 years later, alive, well, 2 children (4 and 3). I took the least aggressive treatment option because bone marrow transplant is, in and of itself, over 50% fatal. I do think the idea that it is a part time job sounds about right. I also thought a lot about what I would do if it looked like I would not survive or if things got to be too difficult. However, I fully believe that my positive attitude that I would not die from this, not because I fear death, just didn't think this was going to be my undoing. Anyway, I think there was some placebo effect, some wonderful science, and a lot of good fortune. The conditions for my demise did not manifest at that time and I am happy that it has worked out that way. Chemo sucked, I have long term side effects that will probably be with me as long as I'm alive, but I don't really think focusing on them makes my life better or makes them go away so I move on in spite of them. Buddhism helped me understand my role in my suffering and if I hadn't had a good understanding before cancer, I probably wouldn't have had the outcome I did.
    Vastmind
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited November 2012
    Sorry post was duplicated
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited November 2012
    @tmomerling ... A psychiatrist I work closely with decided to have a bone marrow transplant for a type of chronic cancer of the blood condition, after regular chemotherapy treatments began to cause problems with his kidney function. It has been successful and no further treatment has been needed for the cancer, although his renal function is still requiring regular monitoring. He said the bone marrow transplant was definitely the most painful and difficult procedure he has experienced, and as you say it was not being undertaken with a high degree of certainty of success.
  • @andyrobyn I'm glad it worked out so well for him. It is a great option, one I am glad I did not need at the time and am hopeful I never will. I wish him well
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    music said:

A couple of months ago I got a diagnosis of a cancerous tumor of the kidney.

Oops. Turned out to be a fatty tumor.

• yeah for fatty tumors though. :)
  • There is also cancer of the mind and heart . . .
    http://dharma-haven.org/tibetan/sadhana-medicine-buddha.htm

Laugh as if you are going to die.
    Live as if you're going to die.
    Die as if you are going to life.
    Above all, don't be precious.

Thus shall ye think of this fleeting world: A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream; A flash of lightning in a summer cloud; A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
    -Diamond Sutra

• Trying to live like one lived before a serious disease like cancer seems like a subtle form of denial. Which makes sense. It is clearly a traumatic experience for the vast majority. So one may still cling to how one used to lead their lifes. But the quicker one lets go of it, the better. It is so helpful to give the disease the attention it needs.
    Tmomerling really got it, I think! One should take care of oneself in whichever way possible, but should know that's never a guarantee one won't get sick. However, if one worries excessively, that can only eat away your health pretty fast.
    @music I perfectly understand where you're coming from. I've had thoughts quite similar to yours in the past, and now and then they reappear. Yet that is not a proper way to get rid of suffering. If anything, it will only increase it. If one were to commit suicide to avoid such a suffering, in my understanding they will not only be setting themselves up for more suffering in the future (i.e. a bad rebirth), but also the event or mental anguish they were trying to escape from will probably follow them wherever they may go. Suicide is not the way out of suffering. If it were, the Buddha would have said so. Buddhas are the most compassionate beings. Why would he advocate a path that is hard and elusive whereas an easier path could lead us out of suffering? The only way out is the Noble Eightfold Path. That being said, I can't possibly judge those who take their lives. I only wish people would become more aware of what that might entail, and reconsider it 1000 times.