Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Procrastination

Currently I have an assignment I need to finish as part of a masters degree I'm studying by distance learning. I had three to do and have submitted two of them already in the past week. I always leave things to the last minute and then as the stress builds up and I have this impending doom hanging over me I finally do what I need to do to get through it. There has to be an easier way. I will find other things to do instead and just can't focus when I try to study. It's not that I don't enjoy the subject and I'm used to studying having done it at various levels for the past 14 years since leaving full time school. I think perhaps I've had enough if it all now and need to stop studying but I somehow have to make it to the end if this academic year in March to pass this course.

Thoughts/comments/wise words please...

Comments

• Here's a song I wrote about procrastination
    http://www.myspace.com/music/player?sid=86586366&ac=now
    andyrobyn
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    When I was in college, I actually found I procrastinated more, the longer I waited. I started doing my work the day I got the assignment for big papers and projects, and usually had them done 2 months in advance, unless there was a specific time line to follow. If I waited to start it, the load just seemed to build and the more it built, the more I put it off. Then at the end of the term, I only had to worry about my finals, plus it gave me ample time to review my paper/project and make any changes.

That said, it's common for people to have a bit of a slide at the end of a long period of education. Don't be too hard on yourself, but push through, you are almost done! Studying is exhausting, even when you enjoy the topic. But you'll make it through, and you won't regret it when you are done.
  • Do what that has to be done.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I'll come back to this thread later.... honest..... :p

My H. is the worst procrastinator on the planet, I swear he is... It's hard to not get the cast-iron skillet out, at times....! He would always leave his coursework until the last minute to complete and hand in - worse still, his dissertation - vital for his Law Degree marking and an absolutely essential piece of precise, researched and footnoted document - he gave in with 3 minutes to spare!! He claims to work best this way, taking it to the wire - but it drives me insane! :D
  • I used to procrastinate a lot..I stopped it. I will tell you how.....later.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    Lee82 said:

There has to be an easier way.

I think perhaps I've had enough if it all now and need to stop studying but I somehow have to make it to the end if this academic year in March to pass this course.

Perhaps not easier but there are alternatives ways – some negate the additional stress of the deadline and provide stress in more manageable portions.

First resolve what it is that you are achieving – have your aim clear in your mind – as a journey has a destination, so should activity have an aim – by having a clear understanding on your aim, you can better employ your resources in achieving it.

Set aside an area for studying – ideally a desk area with a chair that can remain in place with all you need to study on it – this area will remain a study area for the entire time you are studying – books remain in the area as do all the tools you will require to undertake your studies – all that is required to initiate study mode is for you to sit on the chair… there is nothing you need for studying outside of the study space.

Resolve a timetable that works for you – remember that exams are filtering processes – they are means tested – 2 variables – intelligence and time expended in studying – your intelligence is what it is – the rest is how many hours you’re able to dedicate to it… weigh this up – the amount of time dedicated to it vs the benefit of your aim.

Make a resolution – “at a certain time I shall sit at my study space”… this can be any time that suits you – you don’t have to study – just sit on the chair – the longer you sit on the chair the better – whether you choose to study or not is up to you – whatever else you are doing, do it from the chair – so if youre not at work or doing vital family business you are sitting on your chair in your study space… perhaps studying, perhaps not… either way, in the study space.

Connecting to the chair is probably easier than connecting to your aims/dreams each time.
  • Lee82 said:

I always leave things to the last minute and then as the stress builds up and I have this impending doom hanging over me I finally do what I need to do to get through it. There has to be an easier way. I will find other things to do instead and just can't focus when I try to study.

You're experiencing an internal conflict over whether to study or not at a given time. The first step in resolving a conflict is to listen. All of the suggestions in this thread are practical and worth trying, but they will probably all lead to the same conflict you describe here. When that comes up, listen closely to understand the emotional and conceptual basis of the confusion and desire to do something else. If you do any kind of awareness practice, it can really help you here. Let us know what you find.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Lee82 said:

Thoughts/comments/wise words please...

I once did a time-management course and it was suggested that having a to-do list is useful, and that getting some of the smaller tasks on the list out of the way was a good way to start - maybe doing bits of preparation work. Also with most projects getting into a routine of doing a little bit every day can make it more manageable.
  • Thanks for the comments.

I'm well aware of study techniques and getting things done, I've been doing it for long enough now (3rd degree)! It's just that I find myself more easily distracted than I have done previously. I've always enjoyed learning and the extra responsibility that comes with being more knowledgeable but somehow things have gotten difficult right now.

I've always thought to myself that success is what drives me on, success breeds more success, but now I realize that getting a qualification is irrelevant, its the knowledge gained that is important and how you use that knowledge. Therefore doing assignments and 'putting ticks in boxes' isn't so appealing and feels like a chore.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    Lee82 said:

I'm well aware of study techniques and getting things done,
    It's just that I find myself more easily distracted than I have done previously.
    ...somehow things have gotten difficult right now.

If you're well aware, how does the somehow arise?

Study techniques are employed to prevent against difficulty.
  • Lee82 said:

I've always thought to myself that success is what drives me on, success breeds more success, but now I realize that getting a qualification is irrelevant, its the knowledge gained that is important and how you use that knowledge. Therefore doing assignments and 'putting ticks in boxes' isn't so appealing and feels like a chore.

Congratulations on identifying the conflict. There are at least two ways forward. If the work is rote, you can establish a reward system for getting it done. It is probably enough to simply celebrate each clear increment of progress after you do it. The other way is to propose to the class assessor some more interesting project which you could be assessed on instead.
  • Zero said:

Lee82 said:

I'm well aware of study techniques and getting things done,
    It's just that I find myself more easily distracted than I have done previously.
    ...somehow things have gotten difficult right now.

If you're well aware, how does the somehow arise?

Study techniques are employed to prevent against difficulty.
    Just because you know what is the right thing to do doesn't mean you can easily put it in to practice. I've been doing this for years and years now and have always hit deadlines, always done well and never failed at anything. I know somehow I will get through it because when I get to the point that I know I can't put it off any longer I will get on and do what I need to do. For example, 4 years ago I took a 7 hour exam to get professionally qualified, people take courses leading up to the exam and revise for months, I did about a week of prep work and passed first time. Other people take the same exam 4 or 5 years running before passing!

I don't know what it is about leaving things until the last minute, it causes me stress and I don't like it but I can't seem to sit down and do things without the pressure. I wan't things to be different but I don't know how.