Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

10 Second Meditation/Stress Relief

This may sound silly but are there any simple very quick phrases or meditations to ponder when I need a bit of instant quick stress relief or distraction.

The sort of things for times I might be tempted to curse at work or in traffic, I want something more positive to distract myself with rather than swear out loud or in my head. To be honest I don't even mind swearing in Tibetan or something, just something quirky to lighten my mood rather than something deliberately negative.

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Try taking 3 strong deep breaths, breath in through the nose and audibally exhale through the mouth expelling all the air you can.
    Nathaniel839Wisdom23
  • I do that but it's just the moment before that, the moment before you realise you're getting stressed. I'm just looking for just a simple word or phrase to replace some of the more offensive words that immediately spring to mind.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

Saying to myself

I take refuge in the Buddha
    I take refuge in the Dharma
    I take refuge in the Sangha

..Whenever I seem to need a practise reminder.
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    I really like Green Tara Mantra :) Listen to it a few times perhaps?

Also, I just started reading this book called How Yoga Works by Geshe Michael Roach and Lama Christie McNally and it's really cool! Bit by bit, day by day, some stretches and focused breathing build up ^.^
  • This too shall pass

OM MANI PADME YAKITTY-YAK

By the power of Grey skull

ten seconds should be enough time to do a full prostration

• This may sound silly but are there any simple very quick phrases or meditations to ponder when I need a bit of instant quick stress relief or distraction.

The sort of things for times I might be tempted to curse at work or in traffic, I want something more positive to distract myself with rather than swear out loud or in my head. To be honest I don't even mind swearing in Tibetan or something, just something quirky to lighten my mood rather than something deliberately negative.

"This too shall pass"

A student went to his meditation teacher and said, "My meditation is horrible! I feel so distracted, or my legs ache, or I'm constantly falling asleep. It's just horrible!"
    "It will pass," the teacher said matter-of-factly.
    A week later, the student came back to his teacher. "My meditation is wonderful! I feel so aware, so peaceful, so alive! It's just wonderful!'
    "It will pass," the teacher replied matter-of-factly.
  • Breathe in all tension, hold.

Breathe out, let go of everything.
    tmotteslobster
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

An alternative view of all of this is that the outburst is just the whistle of a kettle boiling on the stove. If you don't like that whistling sound, then ask yourself why you filled the kettle and put in on a hot stove. The outburst is just your teacher suggesting you meditatively review the preceding practise which resulted in the whistle.
  • No. There is no ten second quick fix. We have to work at managing our stress and our anxiety. This can take some time. It also takes effort.
    Many people find the time and effort worthwhile.
    lobster
  • I've decided on the word Shanti.

I wasn't looking for a quick fix but more of a distraction to make me think in a more positive way.
    lobster
  • Start by feeling your breathing going in and out. Let go of the day. Close your eyes and then on the outbreath feel the nostrils. As it comes to the inbreath there is a point where it switches to an outbreath. At that point feel the breath at the nostril and then the outbreath feel the nostril. You can keep doing this or else gently open your eyes.

One breath awareness. It can go pretty deep for just a second.
  • Another mantra is to say "buddha baby!" It can break up the energies.
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited October 2012

This may sound silly but are there any simple very quick phrases or meditations to ponder when I need a bit of instant quick stress relief or distraction.

Depends on some things.

First, Hello, I am a fellow sayer/thinker of swear words. :)

What are your motivations of swearing?

Are you cursing everyone but yourself?

Are you cursing at work?

Do you label it with more/all negative situations?
    If you say it in another language, the thought still counts. ;)
    Whether the thought is motivated by positivity or negativity.

I've decided on the word Shanti.

I wasn't looking for a quick fix but more of a distraction to make me think in a more positive way.

'Shanti' works. I like it. Say it 3 times.

I do that but it's just the moment before that, the moment before you realise you're getting stressed. I'm just looking for just a simple word or phrase to replace some of the more offensive words that immediately spring to mind.

Who do these words offend?
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    Goosefraba
    lobster
  • Shanti seems ideal. Useful idea.
    The triple is a good idea. You can also visualise yourself bowing in acknowledgement of the situation. :bowdown:
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    pegembara said:

"This too shall pass"

A student went to his meditation teacher and said, "My meditation is horrible! I feel so distracted, or my legs ache, or I'm constantly falling asleep. It's just horrible!"
    "It will pass," the teacher said matter-of-factly.
    A week later, the student came back to his teacher. "My meditation is wonderful! I feel so aware, so peaceful, so alive! It's just wonderful!'
    "It will pass," the teacher replied matter-of-factly.
    Reminds me of the King Solomon story....

http://www.wscribe.com/parables/pass.html
  • I've decided on the word Shanti.

The idea of needing a distraction is problematic in Buddhadharma.
    I suggest that it might be an idea to gradually increase your capacity for facing the feelings of stress directly, with no anesthetic. The best antidote to stress is bare awareness. This is not easy and takes time, and probably, support...
    how