Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The upside of being a psychopath

I haven't read the book - short review on it:

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/culturelab/2012/10/the-upsides-of-being-a-psychopath.html

One point in the review that was interesting:

"Leaving no stone unturned to back up his argument, Dutton even makes the case that the disconnected psychopathic mind has much in common with the detached mindset achieved through Buddhist meditation."

Is this the mindset we are seeking to achieve? A detached / disconnected one that has much in common with that of a psychopath?

Also, is it to be achieved through meditation?

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    No. I've studied criminal psychopaths quite a bit, and the disconnect in their minds between them and human life and society is not even remotely the same as Buddhist detachment. One of the main points of achieving higher states (not exactly the term I want but I can't think of a better one now) is to be of assistance to other people, to love and feel compassion for other people so as to help decrease the suffering of all people. Psychopaths can't even grasp that concept.
    CittaMaryAnneDakiniperson
  • Quite....Dutton shows a complete misunderstanding of the Buddhist concept of Upekkha/Upeksha..( Pali and Sanskrit respectively ) which is a condition of neither overwhelming attraction nor aversion, and which is a both a result and cause of a clear and compassionate mindstate.
  • There's a difference between spiritual phenomena and psychiatric phenomena.

The goal is not to become like a psychopath.
    lobster
  • I read a chilling book about Charles Manson ( Our Savage God by R.C Zahnaer ) in which he says that Manson's whole rationale for his acts was a disastrous misidentification of his mind state with that of Zen satori.
  • From Zero's URL...
    First, he says, we have to ditch the false notion that all psychopaths are destined to become serial killers.
    However, it is a totally false notion that psychopaths are do-gooders and that their primary interest is not to harm others.

Let's look at corporate psychopathy:

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Having psychosis does not mean you are a psychopath. The violence of schizophrenics is less than regular people aside from self-violence. One of every 100 people is schizophrenic. Bipolar type 1 I believe also experiences psychosis, split from reality, during their mania and there are even more bipolar than schizophrenics.
  • For some Buddhists this is the goal.

For others it is true intimacy that is sought.

All depends.
  • Going by Dutton's logic, the population of Buddhists has just risen astronomically.
    RebeccaSsova
  • I agree with the reviewer, although I'd have to read the book to know for certain, that trying to form a hypothesis off such a broad term as "psychopath" can allow you to prove anything. Are we talking a borderline personality disorder? A sociopath? One version of psychopathology is when a person lacks the ability to feel emotions. Another version is when someone cannot control their emotions.

The typical disconnection of a sociopath from society and lacking compassion for the suffering of others is certainly not at all like the tranquility and metta state that Buddhists strive for. Sociopaths are also manipulative and compulsive liars, generally, and lack any moral compass beyond "It's what I want" which is also counter to Buddhist practice.

• I'm with Cinorjer. I've heard that psychopath and sociopath are synonymous. If that's not correct, someone feel free to clarify. But I think there is no upside to being a psychopath. It's like saying there's an upside to chronic illness.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2012
    @Dakini, I don't know what psychopath is. But schizophrenic etc. psychosis doesn't mean sociopath and that is an understatement. Sociopath is a personality disorder according to http://psychcentral.com/disorders/ whereas these disorders which are all related genetically and all are spectrums: depression, schizophrenia, anxiety, OCD, bipolar etc.. Those are all a different category from personality disorders and are NOT related genetically ie comorbidity.

If you call a schizophrenic a sociopath that is analogous to calling a cancer, diabetic, or alzheimer patient a sociopath.
    RebeccaS
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Yeah, I know ^^^. I don't think a schizophrenic is a psychopath. People toss around these terms without knowing what they mean, but a schizophrenic isn't someone who harms others deliberately, calculatedly, like a sociopath does. Not as a routine, regular thing. I think psychopath/sociopath are personality disorders, as you say, and schizophrenic is a mental illness, or chemical imbalance. Well, I think they're learning more about these things all the time, it might not all be so cut-and-dried, but from all the info I've seen on the internet, the description of psychopath and sociopath seem to match up. "Personality disorder", that's a good term, it does help clarify things for me, thanks, @Jeffrey
    Jeffrey
  • Now while schizophrenic and sociopathic are not genetically and co-morbidity related it is true that schizophrenia would be a bad a bad combo with sociopathic. I mean just more mental confusion and negative voices or something. I hear negative internal voices coming from my neighbors. It is so hurtful. And if I were a violent unremorseful person I might club them over the head or something. But for one thing I know my voices aren't real (thank medication), and even if they are real and they are 'haunting' me as a Buddhist I know that only by giving the voices compassion and understanding can I make the situation better.
  • Yes, I imagine Buddhism can help a lot with that. "This too, shall pass" is always a good motto, and just being mindful that symptoms are only that: symptoms, not a reflection of outer reality. I would imagine that Buddhism really gives you some good guideliness and strength. :)
  • Fortunately Jeffrey that seems to be a highly unusual combination of conditions.
    In more than 25 years in the sphere I have come across very very few people who exhibit both psychosis and personality disorder.
  • I'm trying to think of a distinctive mental illness that mimics a Buddhist mindset, or at least what is commonly thought of as calm and unattached like a smiling monk. I suppose some delusional people? Never really thought about it. My practice is all about embracing reality, not retreating from it.
  • RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited October 2012
    From wikipedia

While no psychiatric or psychological organization has sanctioned a diagnosis of "psychopathy" itself, assessments of psychopathy are widely used in criminal justice settings in some nations and may have important consequences for individuals. The term is also used by the general public, in popular press, and in fictional portrayals.

This popular usage does not necessarily conform to the clinical concept.

According to the Scientific American, although psychopathy is associated with and in some cases is defined by conduct problems, criminality or violence, many psychopaths are not violent, and psychopaths are, despite the similar names, rarely psychotic.[3][4]

Although there are behavioral similarities, psychopathy and antisocial personality disorder (ASPD) according to criteria in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders are not synonymous. A diagnosis of ASPD is based on behavioral patterns, whereas psychopathy measurements also include more indirect personality characteristics. The diagnosis of antisocial personality disorder covers two to three times as many prisoners as are rated as psychopaths. Most offenders scoring high on the PCL-R also pass the ASPD criteria, but most of those with ASPD do not score high on the PCL-R.[5]
  • It's pretty common for people with personality disorders to like them. Narcissistic personality disorder comes to mind. Some narcissists view their shallow emotions and lack of care for others as strength. They wouldn't change it if they were given the opportunity to do so.

It doesn't make narcissism desirable. It just means that they're sick.