Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Zen commentary

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
Sorry ... not sure where exactly to put this text, which may be of some interest:

Read elsewhere and much appreciated these words from the Chinese Zen teacher Boshan (1575-1630):
If you’re unable to arouse the Doubt when practicing Zen, you may feel annoyed by the restrictions of the sangha. Some may want to go deep in the mountains where there’s no one around. For a while they may be satisfied there, closing eyes and unifying mind with legs in full lotus and hands in grateful prayer. After a few months or years, however, they find themselves lost. Others, after sitting only a few days, turn to reading books and composing poetry. Self-indulgent, they shut the door and doze off. From a distance they seem dignified, but up close their decadence knows no bounds. Others are like juvenile delinquents greedily sneaking around, neither knowing shame nor fearing karmic retribution. Putting on airs and speaking as if they knew, they deceive the unwitting: “I met a great teacher! He transmitted the Dharma to me!” and so on. They herd the unwitting into their flock, then keep company with them or even make them their disciples. They act Zen-like and those under them follow suit. Unaware of their errors, they do not even know to reflect on themselves or feel regret, to seek out a worthy teacher or Dharma friend. Reckless and arrogant, they spread terrible lies. They are really pitiful. Recently, some have grown weary of the sangha and now seek out their own living quarters. It should send shivers up their spines! If you are to genuinely seek the Way, I trust you’ll drop such notions. Then you can inquire together with others in the sangha, and work together to keep an eye on things. Even if you cannot realize the Way, at least you will not fall into such corrupt paths. Practicing the Way, you must beware of these dangers.

Comments

• Fortunately teachers don’t own the Dharma. They like to think they do, and they preach their own indispensableness.
    There is some despair in this Boshan quote. Don’t leave us; you need me!

At the other hand I don’t rule out the possibility that teachers in some cases can help us a little, but they have some blind spots of their own usually. Really big ones.

Ultimately there is no Dharma-transmission. For growing up spiritually you’re on your own.
    lobster
  • Just to be clear.that might be the Zen tradition...the Dzogchen position is that transmission is not optional. No transmission from a teacher authorized to do so...no Dzogchen.
  • I can understand why teachers say that. But I don’t follow how our natural primordial state could be given to us or be taken away from us.

“According to Tibetan Buddhism and Bön, Dzogchen (Rdzogs chen or Atiyoga) is the natural, primordial state or natural condition, and a body of teachings and meditation practices aimed at realizing that condition. “
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dzogchen
  • You will find no formal Dzogchen teacher or student who would agree zenff.
    If you doubt that try asking about it on www.vajracakra.com where they hang out.
    The position of all Dzogchen teachers is that we can only know our natural minds by introduction...check it out.
  • Okay, so all of them are wrong :cool:
  • Thats one possibility. On the whole I think I will go with my teachers on the subject.
  • Fair enough.