Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Simon - a new book for you

buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
edited July 2006 in Sanghas
I have just started this book which notes many different thoughts from many different types of thinking and teaching.

The Koran
The Bible
Freud
Buddha
Bhagavad Gita
Plato

Especially some stuff in the beginning where he speaks of St. Pauls "battle with the flesh" and many conditioned responses we have and just what conditions responses are.

The Happiness Hypothesis - Jonathan Haidt

I was thinking, when reading this, "This sounds like something Simon would read!"

-bf

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2006
    Yeh.... All the rest of us are still on "Buddhism for Bears"..... :lol::lol:

Just kiddin' BF.... I know what you mean..... :)
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited June 2006
    It sure is nice to see you banging around in here again, Freddie.

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2006
    .....Is that a tongue I see lodged in yer cheek, Buddha-Buddy....? ;)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Thanks for the reference, BF. I shall certainly bookmark it and keep an eye out. Looks good.
    edited June 2006
    federica wrote:
    .....Is that a tongue I see lodged in yer cheek, Buddha-Buddy....? ;)

Never dear-heart.

You know when I'm being cheeky.

-bf
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited July 2006
    Heh-heh... Sounds nice...

How can I miss out on anything my great mentor-like Simon is having? Hmph! I'll find the book too (I hope I do have the luck to)! :p
    edited July 2006
    Not yet published in the UK. Coming soon.

Have you read Ken Wilber?
    edited July 2006
    No, I haven't.

But I could mail it to you when I'm finished...?...?

-bf
    edited July 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    No, I haven't.

But I could mail it to you when I'm finished...?...?

-bf

A kind thought. Thank you.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited July 2006
    I have Buddhism for Bears. What a cute book, Fede.

How is that book BF? It sounds like something I would read.
    edited July 2006
    You know, I really, really, really like this book.

It covers sayings and teachings from Krishna, St Paul, Buddha, Jung, etc. throughout it.

I'm even thinking on just ordering the damn thing for Simon. Seems like something right up his alley.

It's very interesting to have medical statements made (that he does provide the bibliography to back them up) that make you realize that there is so much going on in our brains (at the cellular or atomic level) that COMPLETELY could remove the thought of "self".

-bf
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited July 2006
    One of the things that originally attracted me to Buddhism is that there are some things that can be proven that work scientifically. Now some people say "So what? It doesn't prove a thing except I can slow down my brain waves". But what if that is the peace that comes from meditation? I think it is interesting to show skeptics like me that these things aren't a trick of the mind but something that can be shown.

In today's age, people like facts. In court cases, jury's like DNA. Doctors love lab values. Showing something quantitatively is going to become more and more expected. I just wish more people would expect it than just blindly believing what someone else says.
    edited July 2006
    This guy states that there are three things that one can do to change themselves (brain-wise)

Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy
    Meditation
    Prozac

And he provides statements and experiences trying to back it up.

-bf
  • edited July 2006
    I rather wish we'd take people's word for it more often and actually trust people instead of assuming they're lying unless they can prove that they're not. Different context perhaps, but we seem to be a little too caught up in our worship of the scientific method.
    edited July 2006
    You know... that's an excellent point, Aquula.

Unfortunately, it's the vast amount of charlatans and mountebanks that have burned so many people, politicians and leaders that have lied to so many people - everyone, I believe, tends to want to make sure what we're spreading by word of mouth is actually true.

-bf
  • edited July 2006
    That's true of course, and it's not that it's bad to want to make sure that something is true or accurate, but it gets taken too far, and is used to hurt people (that's not the reasoning used, but the effect).
    edited July 2006
    Well, the only reason I did it is because this is ONE book I've read like this lately and don't want to only read ONE book and start spouting off stuff like I know what I'm talking about - not when we have so many learn-ed members in this forum. They'd tear me a new one.

I would never make statements like that about the author of this book - you know - just to hurt his feelings. You know why? Because he's a lying, cheating, no-count, scum-sucking, yellah-bellied bastard.

And I mean that in a good way.

-bf