Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Thus i have heard...

edited May 2005 in Buddhism Basics
just sayin hi :bigclap:

Comments

• edited May 2005
    So... to introduce myself, ill share my discovery of buddhism with you, then hopefully you will share your discovery of buddhism with me! id like that, itd be cool to have a place were all the first time experiennces with buddhism were held:) maybe u allready have that, i didnt look around very hard... soo if youve allready typed your discovery of buddhism out somewhere, or allready have a thread dedicated to posts about first timers, lemme know, otherwise post ur virgin experiences with buddhism here or refer to the post that has your experience so we can all read about eachothers discoveries! :bigclap:

my interest in buddhism started about a year ago when i learned that buddhists dont worship a god.
    it was probably grade 10 of highschool, when browzing through the library i came across a section on religion. curious, i picked up a book on buddhism, and the first few pages i read were captivating.
    NIRVANA
    it said, cool i thought, i like nirvana, good band...
    i read on

I began to learn about buddhism, and it appealed to me in every way. I didnt understand why buddhism wasnt more widely celebrated and practiced, then the lunch bell rang, i put away the book, bored, ignorant, and anti-religious, i put away the book... but never forgot about it.

then a few days ago, feeling extremely depressed, i sought help, but this time not from my friends, as usual... i had run out of friends and people to talk to. I didnt want to talk to anyone about being depressed because all that ever did was made me more sad or frusterated or angry...

this time i sought help from the internet (better then friends? :p ), i looked up all sorts of ways of dealing with depression, however none of them helped, most of them expected me to buy buy buy and the vast majority of them left me wondering how this is actually going to help me with depression. i needed to adress the cause, the source of my depression, not bandaid it with Prozac and faith.

this is when i found buddhism
    i read some wonderful articles, most were about the origins beliefs ecetera of buddhism but some helped me to understand that my depression was a problem with my endless wants and inflating/deflating/bruised ego

ive realized i have everything i need to be happy
    its called life

i found a link to forums with buddhists, i figured why the heck not
    i signed up, typed up some stuff andd poof! here i am

"if u ever wanna be real interesting, ask someone about themselves"- Joe

and so, the end to my hella cool (okay maybe boring) story about my first brush... i guess these are still my first brushes, with buddhism ;)
  • edited May 2005
    indecline wrote:
    So... to introduce myself, ill share my discovery of buddhism with you, then hopefully you will share your discovery of buddhism with me! id like that, itd be cool to have a place were all the first time experiennces with buddhism were held:) maybe u allready have that, i didnt look around very hard... soo if youve allready typed your discovery of buddhism out somewhere, or allready have a thread dedicated to posts about first timers, lemme know, otherwise post ur virgin experiences with buddhism here or refer to the post that has your experience so we can all read about eachothers discoveries! :bigclap:

my interest in buddhism started about a year ago when i learned that buddhists dont worship a god.
    it was probably grade 10 of highschool, when browzing through the library i came across a section on religion. curious, i picked up a book on buddhism, and the first few pages i read were captivating.
    NIRVANA
    it said, cool i thought, i like nirvana, good band...
    i read on

I began to learn about buddhism, and it appealed to me in every way. I didnt understand why buddhism wasnt more widely celebrated and practiced, then the lunch bell rang, i put away the book, bored, ignorant, and anti-religious, i put away the book... but never forgot about it.

then a few days ago, feeling extremely depressed, i sought help, but this time not from my friends, as usual... i had run out of friends and people to talk to. I didnt want to talk to anyone about being depressed because all that ever did was made me more sad or frusterated or angry...

this time i sought help from the internet (better then friends? :p ), i looked up all sorts of ways of dealing with depression, however none of them helped, most of them expected me to buy buy buy and the vast majority of them left me wondering how this is actually going to help me with depression. i needed to adress the cause, the source of my depression, not bandaid it with Prozac and faith.

this is when i found buddhism
    i read some wonderful articles, most were about the origins beliefs ecetera of buddhism but some helped me to understand that my depression was a problem with my endless wants and inflating/deflating/bruised ego

its called life

i found a link to forums with buddhists, i figured why the heck not
    i signed up, typed up some stuff andd poof! here i am

"if u ever wanna be real interesting, ask someone about themselves"- Joe

and so, the end to my hella cool (okay maybe boring) story about my first brush... i guess these are still my first brushes, with buddhism ;)

Hello Indecline,

Nice to meet you. I liked reading your story. I have posted my story at a discussion thread called "Introducing myself." If you go to that thread, you will see where we have all posted our introductions. I look forward to getting to know you.

Adiana
  • edited May 2005
    indecline wrote:

its called life

Congratulations! - I guess then next thing is to find out what it is to be 'alive'...

I'm glad you're here - I look forward to being in a sangha with you!

:wavey:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2005
    Indecline, you're on the "up 'n' up"!!

Welcome to our wonderful little sangha.... I just know you're going to like it here, and it was really good to hear your story... As Adiana said, there's a whole load of stuff in the 'Introducing yourself' Thread, in the Lotus Lounge section, but if you don't find it, PM anyone, and we'll send you a full update! Check us all out in the photos of members section too.... Alcatraz seems to be missin' a few inmates!! :lol: