Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Thinking of switching to 2 meals a day, any advice?

karastikarasti BreathingMinnesota Moderator
Not because I'm thinking of being a nun or anything, but for 3 reasons I guess. #1 to see if I can do it. #2 To see if there are any health benefits and #3 to see if there are benefits to my Buddhist practice/study.

I know a few people have mentioned having done it being in monasteries, but when surrounded by a community who also does it, I'd think it would be easier? My main problem is first of all, dinner. We eat dinner as a family (husband and 3 kids) and I'm a bit worried I might be hungry sitting at the table. I figured if I ate around 9am and then 3pm then I should be fine through bedtime, but is 3pm getting too late? I go to bed around 11, 11:30pm.

Any tips? I am going to try just for a week, starting Monday (so I can go out of town to do my shopping over the weekend). I'll have to manage Thanksgiving, but we eat at lunch time and typically Ill be more than full enough until bedtime anyhow, lol. What about evenings? As typical with a lot of us, night time is our snack time. We don't watch much tv, but we still snack a lot, and that's another motivation, to kill that habit. I understand water and tea (probably noncaffinated) is alright but if my stomach is rumbling before bed, so I ignore it and go to sleep and assume with adaptation it'll go away? Or is it better to have a handful of nuts or something to quell the growling?

I'm sure a lot of it is just what I find works, since like I said I'm not tryin to follow a vow or anything. Just curious what experiences others have had. I'm "afraid" if I allow myself any snack at night that Ill just end up mindlessly eating more. Evening time is my veg-out time and the hardest time for me to remain mindful, which is the reason for the snacking and soda drinking. I do exercise, and when I don't eat I notice an intense lack of energy, but I can just plan my working out around my 2 meals easy enough.
robotInvincible_summerriverflow

Comments

• My main problem is first of all, dinner
    You could have a special course of imaginary or water mindfulness soup.
    A main course of ice - cubed, with a water dip, followed by an H2O sorbet . . .
    . . . should be fun, might catch on . . . :clap:
    karastiInvincible_summer
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    Enjoy them both!
    karasti
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I eat twice a day, once at 8-9 am and then again around 2 pm. If I eat enough at 2 I'm fine until the next day. Often I'll grab a little snack around 7 or so, something small like an english muffin or something.

I've heard that eating after like 6 pm doesn't allow the body to properly metabolize all its food and more of those calories get added as weight gain.

Anyway it will probably take a short adjustment time and it may be harder if your going against the grain of the rest of your family but 2 meals a day works well for me at least.
  • For the last 3 years or so, I only have water and a mug of tea for breakfast. I usually only feel hungry after 1pm or so. If for some reason, I have a full breakfast, strangely feel hungry earlier.

No ill effects so far, bahhh to all the so called experts on breakfast being the most important.
  • Fair play to you lot; I couldn't do it. I don't like eating on an empty stomach at the moment, but I am marathon training and running a fair few miles a week. On Saturday we've got our second 20 mile run planned; that's about 2500 calories expenditure for me. I need to eat.

I'm eating now as a matter of fact! :o
  • karasti said:

when surrounded by a community who also does it, I'd think it would be easier?

It's an issue of the mind - as easy or as difficult as you choose to make it - with or without companions.
    karasti said:

My main problem is first of all, dinner. I figured if I ate around 9am and then 3pm then I should be fine through bedtime, but is 3pm getting too late?

Perhaps cut out breakfast and have lunch and dinner?
    karasti said:

Any tips?

I've done 1 meal a day for about a year - my meal was lunch.

First I reduced portion sizes by cutting out 1/3 over 3 weeks - then cut out breakfast, then changed dinner to vegetables, then soup and finally just lunch.
    karasti said:

I understand water and tea (probably noncaffinated) is alright but if my stomach is rumbling before bed, so I ignore it and go to sleep and assume with adaptation it'll go away? Or is it better to have a handful of nuts or something to quell the growling?

I'm "afraid" if I allow myself any snack at night that Ill just end up mindlessly eating more.

Hunger isn't an ever increasing demand - it's like a sine wave - ride to the peak and it will dissipate.

Snacks can be good - a single peanut is a very intense experience after a fast - you may find it interesting exploring your responses.
    karasti said:

Evening time is my veg-out time and the hardest time for me to remain mindful,

Inspiring that you seek to challenge the boundaries like this - hope it brings you what you seek.
  • I did do it at a monastery, not allowed to eat after midday apart from a small piece of cheese, and the breakfast was quite small. I did not find it a real challenge physically or mentally. Afterward, I saw no special reason to do it at home. It'll probably mainly be inconvenient because you'll have to fit in your big meal at lunchtime, and don't eat at dinnertime when most people are eating. Also, if you have a family why not just eat along with them? That I would see as a form of compassion also.

I admire you trying it, and by all means do, but I'd say there are plenty of other things to do that would fit better into a lay person's life. I'd surely cut out on the snacks, though. If you're going for health benifits, that'll probably be the best thing to do.

With metta!
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Currently, breakfast is my main meal (as far as calories go) lunch is fairly small then we have a typical dinner. But because of our schedules, we normally eat dinner around 6:30 and eating earlier isn't really possible, so for me and my goals, I think cutting out, at least to start, will be best. My snacking in the evening has nothing at all to do with hunger and everything to do with boredom and mindlessness. Having to specifically focus on not snacking then will be difficult, lol. As far as fitting in breakfast and lunch, for me it is easy because I don't work. I can still sit at the table with my family and have a cup of tea or something without eating (and still help with dinner).

Someone mentioned being hungrier if they eat breakfast, that is because when you wake up your metabolism is in the basement, and once you eat it gets your metabolism going, so you burn your calories from breakfast faster and so feel hungry earlier. If you eat a good dose of protein at breakfast that usually helps with that because it takes longer to digest. But toast with peanut butter probably isn't going to cut it.

I realize I can make changes without doing this in particular, but for some reason I feel compelled to try it. I've studied fitness and health/nutrition for half my life now, and just knowing what I need to know, isn't enough. I can make changes short term, but rarely stick to them no matter how much I understand it's good for me. Much of my point in attempting this is that I am hoping will set me up to pay better attention and be more mindful because I've made the decision to be. I realize this probably doesn't make sense, lol, and a lot of it is just my personality. I thrive on strict structure, so for me setting up a routine to follow is likely to have better results that simply telling myself not to eat snacks at night. I'm not unhealthy, I'm curious if it'll have any effect on my health and how I feel but I don't need to lose weight or anything, so it's not a diet plan. It's more a mental thing than anything.

Thanks for all the tips!
  • Be prepared... limiting meals to two a day, when your body is used to fueling up more often (even if food amount is the same over all, which is hard to do but possible) will eventually mess up your metabolism. Once metabolism is screwed up.... reeeally hard to fix.

• Karasti,

There was a good UK documentary called East Fast and Live Longer, and it was about the health benefits of fasting - not for spiritual purposes - but for health ones; and the benefits are more far reaching than just losing weight or maintaining weight:

Apparantly fasting reduces a growth hormone (ICG1?) which is a hormone that puts our bodies into "Go Go Go" mode. By reducing this hormone through fasting, it puts the body into rest and repair mode. People with really low levels of ICG1 suffer with much less cancers (for example), even if they smoke and are overweight.

It's quite an entertaining program too; made me smile.

It may help.
    karastiSabreInvincible_summer
    @maryanne I'm just going to see what happens after a week and go from there. One of my thoughts in even attempting it is that I'm rarely hungry for dinner, and I just eat anyhow because it's what I've always done. People tend to eat more 25% breakfast, 25% lunch and 50% dinner for their calories and mine is more reversed. I eat about 50% at breakfast, 20% at lunch, 20% dinner and 10% snacks. So some of that dinner will shift to lunch, and then hopefully I'm not eating when I don't feel like eating, lol. Even though I am in good health and don't have any risk factors, I know that going to bed in a full stomach isn't good for a person, and as someone else said, when your body goes to sleep you no loner digest and use the food in your stomach, it just gets put into fat storage around your organs. Ick.
  • @Karasti

When it comes to maintaining your metabolism and feeling full, timing and digestion are closely linked. This is why it is suggested you always eat breakfast -- because it gets your metabolism going -- and why you avoid a big dinner right before going to sleep -- because it can cause heartburn. Knowing how certain foods affect your digestion and sleep at night can help you choose ones that make you sleep soundly.

Misconceptions:

A common medical misconception is that eating at night leads to weight gain because the body will digest your foods as fat instead of using them for energy. However, this myth does not prove true. Your body's digestion and metabolism relies on the foods you eat in a 24-hour time period balanced with the amount of calories your body burns for daily activities.
    If you eat before bed, yet stay within your daily calorie requirements to maintain a healthy weight, eating before bed and the way your body digests food should not affect your weight.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/445535-eating-before-bed-digestion/#ixzz2CJ7s4Bxf

And:

Perhaps you've heard this advice before: Don't eat before going to bed. People most often give this advice to people trying to lose weight. The logic behind this advice sounds reasonable: If you eat and then go to sleep, your body will convert the food you ate into fat rather than using it right away as fuel. Ultimately, you'll gain weight.

But is this true? I have been unable to find any study that specifically asked and answered this question: When total calories are kept constant, does eating at night (whether just before bed or in the middle of the night) lead to weight gain?

In fact, I could find no compelling evidence that eating late at night or just before bed matters one way or the other. It is likely that total intake over a 24-hour period balanced against calories burned through one's daily activities matters much more than what time a snack or meal is consumed.**

** Julie K. Silver, M.D., is an assistant professor in the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at Harvard Medical School. She is also the Chief Editor of Books for Harvard Health Publications.
    Yes, but for me, that does not hold true. I've done much experimenting with my eating habits over the past 20 years, and I track everything, everything I eat, and all my activity with a monitor I wear 24 hours a day (not always, but when I am in the midst of tracking things). For me, it makes a difference, and it could be that it's what I'm eating for dinner (even though dinner is 5 hours before bedtime) but having 5 people in our family I'm not going to make 2 dinners, either, and feeding growing kids versus adults trying not to gain weight isn't an easy balance, lol. My eldest son eats more than 3200 calories a day right now. Getting him all those calories when he eats most of them at dinner isn't easy when the rest of us have to eat with him because he eats a lot of carbs(and part of why it'll be easiest for me to control my bfast and lunch and skip dinner). It won't be a huge change for me because I don't eat the foods my family is eating anyhow.

Anyhow, what I said wasn't because I read it in a health magazine, it was based on my past experience. I've never tried to not eat dinner before, and that's why it'll be interesting to see how it affects anything. But even when my calories are identical, if I am eating between dinner and bedtime, i gain weight. Even if what I am eating is decent for me, when I eat between 6pm and bedtime, I gain weight. Normally we eat closer to 5, 5:30 but while my son is in ski season it's not possible for us to have dinner that early. As it happened last year, when we started having later dinners, I started gaining weight, then we go back to normal dinners in the spring and I lose the weight. So I'm just interested to see what happens. I've quite in tune with my body and if I start having issues because of a slower metabolism, then I'll adjust again. But considering I work out for 90 minutes a day every day, I'm not too worried about my metabolism at this point.

MaryAnne
    @maryanne I meant to say, thank you for your concern! I'll make sure I'm careful, I do pay close attention to my body and I'm pretty aware of even slight changes in how I feel, so I will stay on top of it. I've had to change my metabolism before, and you're right, it's a TON of work, and now that I'm not in my 20s anymore, even more so, lol.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Interesting! I do not know, there are so many mix ups with who says its a great idea, to individuals who say it's a bad idea. I guess it depends on each individual. Why not try it out and see how your body reacts?
  • I think it's exciting! I sincerely doubt it will do you any kind of harm. It might help you process through those evening snacking habits, and give you a good look at how we can confuse hunger with other emotions that we sometimes snack on, you know?

Good luck and keep us updated!
  • @karasti sorry about the lol on your OP. No disrespect intended. Damned touch screen on my iPad.
    No problem, @robot, no offense taken at all! It's by far not the worst touchscreen mishap I've been involved in, lol.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    person said:

I eat twice a day, once at 8-9 am and then again around 2 pm. If I eat enough at 2 I'm fine until the next day. Often I'll grab a little snack around 7 or so, something small like an english muffin or

My wife and I have been doing that for about 2 years now. We've both dropped about 30 lbs. (needed it), blood pressure is down, cholesterol is down, energy is up, our doctor is happy, and we both feel better all around.

I have no tips. We just did it.
    lobster
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    I've always eaten 2 meals a day, it's cheaper and easier, so there. :p
  • I have known people who just eat once a day. That's because they are poor. In your case, it would depend on whether your body is poor in terms of nutrients.
  • I couldn't do it. I pretty much only eat when hungry -- I don't tend to snack out of boredom, stress, whatever. However, when I get hungry I HAVE to eat or my blood sugar drops and I get completely wonky. I eat three meals a day and have one or two smallish snacks depending on when I eat (work days really don't jive with my natural eating and sleeping patterns). That's what my body says I need, so that's what I give it, and it's kept me going fine so I see no need to change it.

I have heard that it is better for people to not skip meals -- rather eat more often, but less food at a time. On the other hand, I know that people can vary a lot as to what their bodies need/what works for them personally. I doubt that giving it a try for a week is going to cause you any harm.
  • I think it's fine to try as an experiment, to see how you do. I wouldn't only mention that one reason for 3 meals/day is to maintain stable blood sugar. In fact, in some countries, the tradition is to have 5 meals/day, which includes two tea-times. This comes closer to what some doctors recommend: eating every 3-4 hours, because blood sugar tends to fall 3 hours after a meal. This isn't an issue for most young people (I, myself, used to do 3-day fasts, and loved it), and maybe not even for many older people. Some individuals, though, may have a problem. Just something to keep in mind.

@black_tea : you're not alone with that, far from it.
  • Everything I have read about healthy lifestyle suggests more than 3 meals a day is better; eating less and more often has positive health benefits, 5 or 6 meals a day being the ideal. 3 meals a day is a cultural thing, it fits around our working day. Of your 3 reasons for wanting to try it, #1 I'm sure you could do it if you put your mind to it #2 medical research suggests the change would have negative health benefits #3 perhaps it would aid your practice but that depends on how you practice and I would have thought it easier to adjust your practice to suit your eating habits rather than the other way around.
    Dakini
    I haven't noticed any poor effects. I doubt it's something I'll do forever or anything, but I've felt quite fine and haven't even noticed a change in my energy levels. If anything I have more energy, lol. I fast occassionally, though usually only a day at a time, and I usually follow it up with a raw-food only diet for a day or 2 after. Actually today is one of my raw food days, though I didn't fast. I just felt the need to stick to raw foods today so that's what I did.

And believe me, I know all about blood sugars, my son is diabetic, lol. However, he still has not been advised to have 5 meals a day. It depends, as has been said, on the individual person and also the types of food that they eat. If you don't combine carbs with protein and some fat (at all meals) you are much more likely to be hungry much earlier. Also, if you eat the wrong kind of carbs, some of them are much more conducive to a blood sugar spike and crash, leaving you hungry 2 hours later.

The main problem with grazing, or having 5 smaller meals, is that most people don't understand what "smaller meals" means and they over eat. To split the same # of calories into 5 appx. equal meals is actually really hard to do, and what you end up with is basically 5 snacks, not meals. For some people, it works. For others, they gain weight because they are eating too much, not realizing meal #4 should consist of a handful of grapes with a slice of cheese, and not a 350 calorie powerbar with a soda.
    @Lee82 it really has nothing to do with the timing of my practice. That is all (mostly) done in the morning before I even eat breakfast. I just like to experiment. I've been researching health and fitness for many years so I know all about the common recommendations. But there is also plenty of evidence that the 5 meals a day doesn't work for a lot of people. It wouldn't work for me (I have done it in the past) largely because out eating schedule revolves our son's insulin shots.
  • Well, yes; 5 meals a day isn't an excuse to not eat mindfully. I have no doubt that you know what you're doing, @karasti. It's a highly individual matter. I hope your son is ok.
  • Everyone is different, there is no one-size-fits-all.
    Dakinikarasti
    Agree, @Lee82!
    @Dakini, thank you:) He is doing just fine and we're working on mentoring another family who has a son who was diagnosed today.
  • Both my father and I often times have 2 meals a day simply due to schedule, something we've done most our lives, no religious, health, or otherwise intent behind it. Just kind of the "norm" to us. For example he wakes up and goes to work, first meal of his day is after he comes home from work. Then middle of the afternoon (we work at night) prior to going to sleep a second meal. Lately however I've been trying to make sure I have a third meal as I was informed awhile back by a doctor that I was considered unhealthy because of my lack of weight. Likely due to the fact that his diet is primarily meat and mine is not, I am supposedly the blood type that has to eat meat. But that is beside the point. What you are describing is simply normal to some of us. In the US 3 meals a day is more or less a division of time in a waking day, and something ideal to the "america dream". I do not believe it is inheritly evil or good, however an attachment to food, like an attachment to anything else, can cause issue.
    karasti
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited December 2012
    Make them big, healthy and take your time. That and if you use more energy than you consume, you will run into problems.

Remember the middle way and that it isn't about deprivation.

Just my two cents, I'm no expert.
  • You said you will try it...so just try it and see. If it makes you sick, go back to eating how you normally would
  • SillyPuttySillyPutty Veteran
    edited April 2013
    I recently started 2 meals a day as well in order to help improve my health and energy, as well as to drop some weight.

I juice my "green drink" (right now it consists of: cilantro, spinach, cucumber, celery, ginger, jalapeno pepper, ginger, lemon, apple) in the morning around 7am, and then I eat my main meal (vegan, or sometimes vegetarian due to the fact I eat local, humanely raised farm eggs for the B12 and K2) from 11am-12pm. And trust me-- it's a pretty big meal. I can consume a lot of quality nutrients in one sitting, since I tend to eat a lot of dense, raw healthy fats (avocados, good olive and hemp seed oils, nuts and seeds, etc). :D After that? Just water.

I feel that doing this has helped my energy levels skyrocket, even though some people would argue that eating like that would ruin your metabolism. I've been on so many crash diets and detoxes (i.e. starvation sessions) in my life, that my metabolism, adrenals, and thyroid have suffered tremendously. I find that eating this way is actually helping me to heal those issues and force me to not over indulge in food during the day. I actually have so much energy at night, that I end up exercising instead of stuffing my face with more food that my body doesn't need. I find it to be very helpful for my food addictions/attachments, as well as keeping my mind clear and alert.

Of course, this is not the answer for everyone, but it seems to be the key for me. So if you're looking for similar benefits, perhaps it would be beneficial to give it a shot? If not, just keep doing a trial and error and you'll find out what fits your lifestyle the best.
    isoulleap