Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

My second home in Japan

edited July 2006 in Sanghas
Here is a picture of the Soto Zen temple I attend here in Japan.

Reverend Koryu Akita is a wonderful man and I am blessed to practise with him.

I cannot express how openly I was accepted into this temple, it was perfectly humbling.
vfsh00165pt.jpg

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited July 2006
    And we are blessed, BSF, that you share your happiness and the pic with us. A blessing enfolds the world before a curse has got its shoes on!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2006
    Isn't it wonderful how there is a place for everything, and everything in its place...?
    I can't help thinking how those two wonderful impressive and imposing statues would look ever-so-slightly ostentatious and out of place at the gateway of the little suburban home I'm living in at the moment....
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited July 2006
    Beautiful temple, BSF. Where is it, if I may inquire? I saw many of these guardian figures in Japan. They really do them well. I especially remember the ones at the huge Buddha statue in Nara. Very expressive!

Palzang
  • edited July 2006
    The temple is in Shizuoka city, where I am currently living.

The guardians of the temple are indeed very expressive. They protect the temple from any forms of evil and are, despite their agressive appearance, very kind and protective beings. My teacher explained their names and origins but, for the life of me, I cannot remember the details.

Last weekend I sat with my teacher in the temple for a short period (about half an hour) and then spent time chanting the heart sutra. He also allowed me to hit the various prayer bowls and drums with their respective mallets and sticks. Each one had it's own expressive tone and yet they were all unified in their peaceful vibration.

I never thought becoming part of a temple in Japan would feel so natural...
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2006
    ....Pass the wasabi....:D
  • edited July 2006
    Wow, BSF, that is a beautiful picture. I am so happy for you and so glad to hear how well things are going for you in Japan.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited July 2006
    Ah, Shizuoka. I went through there on the bullet train, but obviously didn't get a tour. Nice area tho. That's Fuji-san's prefecture, isn't it? Anyway, sounds like you had a great experience there.

Palzang