Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Who here has stayed in a monastery/temple?

DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
There is a Theravada Temple/monastery/community center about 20 miles from where I live. After I become more knowledgeable in Buddhism, I've considered perhaps staying there for a little bit of time.

To those who have stayed in temples or monasteries: a.) What should I expect and b.) How should I conduct myself?

Comments

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited November 2012
    It depends on so many things.

See if they have a website...usually they post first
    time/visiting info. Especially if they are newly established.

All my introductions (here in the deep south, few and far
    between) with the Buddhist community, .....well,there
    is only one way to find out. Only one way to experience
    it, if you will. Walk in there with intention and purpose.
    Ask questions.

I'm sure some others can/will provide the
    daily-routine-boring stuff.....but to us women....that's
    just everyday housework/caregiving/mothering/running stuff . :)
    Setting the rules.
    I run this here monastary 365....24/7.

It will be full-time teaching in a structured enviroment.
    You are the student.

• To those who have stayed in temples or monasteries: a.) What should I expect and b.) How should I conduct myself?
    I have stayed at a Theravadin monastic community, amongst others.
    You should expect to be respected and should be respectful. Conduct yourself better than a monk, examples should be available. Take every opportunity to help, before going ask what Danna is most useful . . .
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dāna
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2012
    It all depends on the place and tradition, really. Many temples do allow people to stay for extended periods, but it's best to contact them first to make sure. The majority of the Thai Theravada temples I've visited were all quite accommodating in that regard, though.

In my experience, the day begins relatively early, generally between 4:00am-5:30am. The times vary from temple to temple, but usually fall in between these times. Everyone rises and gathers in the sala (meditation hall) for morning chanting and meditation.

After the morning chanting, everyone either has a light breakfast or begins their chores, which usually consist of sweeping, mopping, cleaning, yard work, building repairs, etc. Certain traditions are more strict than others and only eat one meal a day before noon (usually around 11am), while others might have a small breakfast, then chores, followed by the main meal.

After the meal, the rest of the work is completed by the junior monks, anagarikas, and upasikas, while the more senior monks receive visitors, give Dhamma talks, answer questions, etc. If there isn't too much to do, or if one is staying during a meditation retreat, this is a good time to practice sitting and walking meditation.

In the evening, generally around 6:00pm, everyone gathers in the sala once again for evening chanting and meditation. After the evening chanting, a Dhamma talk is often given and the senior monk will answer any questions, especially during retreats. When the Dhamma talk is over, each person is allowed to practice meditation or study on their own until bedtime.

The only advice regarding conduct I can think of at the moment is to try not to point your feet out in front of you and towards monks, statues of the Buddha, or other people. In Thai culture, it's considered rude. Other than that, just be on your best behaviour.
    DaftChrisdriedleaf
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Expect no more from a temple than you would from meditation.
    Conduct yourself in whatever way minimizes the feeding of your ego.
  • jlljll Veteran
    i would not recommend it.
    just visit , dont stay there.
    lobsterReborn
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    If you've never even visited one, you might be better off to visit before you make a decision to stay for a longer period. I have no idea about American monasteries/temples, but friends I know who travel to the East a lot said there are definite rules you should abide by, not just taking off shoes, but wearing proper attire (especially women) and being cautious of how to approach Buddha statues, and taking pictures of the statues, touching them (generally not recommended) etc. A lot of westerners travel over there and then treat the temples/monasteries like Disney world instead of holy places. Be respectful, is the key, and if you aren't sure about something, ask.
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    edited November 2012
    @jll

Why not?
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    DaftChris said:

There is a Theravada Temple/monastery/community center about 20 miles from where I live. After I become more knowledgeable in Buddhism, I've considered perhaps staying there for a little bit of time.
    To those who have stayed in temples or monasteries: a.) What should I expect and b.) How should I conduct myself?

Check to see if they do introductory retreats, that would be a good way of seeing how things run - or if not, maybe you could visit for a few days initially?
    DaftChrisskullchin
  • I think I could say I have. Just abide by the rules of the temple or monastery. In Rome, do what the Romans do!
  • Volunteer and study the Dharma at the local Mahayana temple 1-2 a week. Very good way to temporarily take one'self away from the distracting mundane environment. Re-charge one's energies.
  • Would love to visit a temple but, up here in the north of England they are like hens teeth, I would also love to go on a retreat, but I wouldn't know where to start.
  • Niwalen said:

Would love to visit a temple but, up here in the north of England they are like hens teeth, I would also love to go on a retreat, but I wouldn't know where to start.

http://www.metta.org.uk/retreats.asp
    It is also possible to go on Christian retreats and practice Buddhist meditation. A lot them don't mind what you do on retreat, just turn up for meals.
    :)
  • Niwalen said:

Would love to visit a temple but, up here in the north of England they are like hens teeth, I would also love to go on a retreat, but I wouldn't know where to start.

Are you near wales? My sangha the hermitage is in wales http://www.ahs.org.uk/what-we-offer/hermitage-of-the-awakened-heart/

• Are you near wales? My sangha the hermitage is in wales http://www.ahs.org.uk/what-we-offer/hermitage-of-the-awakened-heart/
    I'm in Wigan, half way between all the big northern cities which is annoying because its hard to get to places as I dont have(can't afford) a car, but I do like the look of your Sangha @Jeffrey xx