Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do you think I am too young to be on this site.

TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
I am a 13 year old school boy from The UK who has converted to Buddhism about 4 months ago and I see most people here are like 35, do you think this website is too old for me?
footiam

Comments

• LOL Holy Moly! 35?? I love it. Man, I wish I was 35- again! ;-)

Seriously though, I don't know if Newbuddhist.com has any minimum age restrictions...
    Anyone know?

lillymac61
  • Ask your parents. If it's ok with them I don't see why not.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    I started on forums when I was about 16 so I don't see why not.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    There can be some pretty adult topics that come up here, so I agree it would be a good idea to make sure your parents approve. Overall it's a pretty easy place, and full of good people, but thinking back there are some discussions I don't know if I'd have wanted my son reading at your age, but kids are all different, too, in their maturity and ability to handle, or ignore, certain topics. Welcome, by the way! My 15 year old son was the one who brought Buddhism into my life a couple years ago.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    At 13, you're legally allowed to use the site according to both UK and US law as far as I am aware, so knock yourself out. If it's any consolation, I was only 20 when the site was started and we've had other teenagers that were positive additions to the community. :)
    karasti
  • Nah, you'll be fine; we used to have a young lass (also from the UK) post here; I'm sure she was about your age at the time. I can't remember her name though, but I'm sure others can remember her.

I'm from the UK too; a Geordie living in Wales!

Welcome to the forum.

Tosh
    TheEccentric
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited November 2012
    I'm curious, what caused you to "convert to Buddhism", and what have you read or learned about it so far?

cazToshDaftChrisCaptain_America
  • RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited November 2012
    I agree that you should probably let your parents have a look around to make sure they're ok with you "hanging out" here. If they're cool then welcome :)
  • I am a 13 year old school boy from The UK who has converted to Buddhism about 4 months ago and I see most people here are like 35, do you think this website is too old for me?
    As long as you are civil and do not disturb the more infantile members like me, you should be OK. Also if you become enlightened, that will be fine. Try and treat everyone as if they are adults, not easy. Also be aware that some peoples beliefs may seem a little childish to you, me for example. Please be aware that they may have been Buddhist for longer than 4 months and have a little compassion for them. :thumbsup:
    ToshcazTheEccentricmaarten
  • 35!! I will have you know I am 27 young man! lol. But seriously it is nice that you are here xx
  • jlljll Veteran
    Yes, i think you are too young.
    you are making me jealous.
    FYI, many yrs ago a 16 yr old english boy became a buddhist.
    now, he one of the most well-known and respected monk in the world.
    Niwalenlobster
  • I am a 13 year old school boy from The UK who has converted to Buddhism about 4 months ago and I see most people here are like 35, do you think this website is too old for me?

"Too old"? You're making us feel like geezers--hand me my cane, please. ;)

You're not the youngest to be here. We had a member who was 11 or 12 when he joined. Also from the UK. Age is irrelevant.

TheEccentric

Geez, you know how to make a guy feel like a fossil, don't you?
    Tosh
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    @cinorjer I started learning about it at school and on the internet as it seemed like an interesting religion and I was interested in Meditation and Yoga, The Four noble truths seemed to make sense to me and meditation was such a helpful and pleasurable experience. So far I have read an eBook on Buddhism by Geshe Kelsand Gyatso and am reading a second one, I have chosen to be part of the Kadampa tradition of Vajrayana Buddhism.
    Toshcazskullchin
  • and am reading a second one,
    There is no stopping this lad . . .
    Yoga eh? I did some yoga on the wii (an ancient form of game playing device before mobiles) this morning. It made the meditation afterwards very easy.
    They teach Buddhism at school now . . . how things have changed. We had Religious Education, which was about some bloke executed for pretending his dad was God. He was not the messiah, he was a very naughty boy . . .

Good luck with your third book, you seem to have surpassed me already . . . :)
    TheEccentric
  • If I were to believe in reincarnation, T.E., I'd say you've studied this stuff before and that's why it resonates with you. You sound - going by your posts - a lot more mature than some of us older ones.

And well done for finding an interest that goes beyond X box and football (though those are fun too).
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Suffering -- or a sense of unsatisfactoriness -- is an equal-opportunity employer. So my sense is, go ahead and be a Buddhist: It may help you become a world-class poker champ in times to come.
    LOL @lobster hey now, the new wiiu is out and you can still use your board with that!

I'm sure education varies widely. One school....I can't recall where had parents who threw a fit and tried to remove their children from a class because it taught yoga and they said yoga is a "gateway to eastern religions" and they don't want that. Never mind the benefits of yoga and that you can practice without religion. I lol'd at the idea that yoga is a gateway religion though. Our town just recently stopped having kids leave for religious instruction at their church during the school day. Kids would go for an hour every Wednesday afternoon to their church to attend religious instruction. I didn't have to go, so we got to stay in school and have parties instead, which was much more fun.

@TheEccentric, enjoy your study. Sometimes it gets overwhelming, but keep with it, and it's ok to tone it down if you need to. It always comes back.
    We learn't about it for one week in year 8 lol. but it did sound interesting though
  • karasti said:

I'm sure education varies widely. One school....I can't recall where had parents who threw a fit and tried to remove their children from a class because it taught yoga and they said yoga is a "gateway to eastern religions" and they don't want that. Never mind the benefits of yoga and that you can practice without religion. I lol'd at the idea that yoga is a gateway religion though. Our town just recently stopped having kids leave for religious instruction at their church during the school day. Kids would go for an hour every Wednesday afternoon to their church to attend religious instruction. I didn't have to go, so we got to stay in school and have parties instead, which was much more fun.

I'm guessing you're in Bible Belt America? It's not like that in the UK; we're a secular nation. Our politicians don't talk about God; God isn't really an issue here - not really. In fact, if you went to school and declared yourself a Christian, you'd probably get bullied over here.

In general terms, to the British, yoga is another form of keep fit, like Zumba.

:D
    Actually I live in the far north. We're just a very small town that doesn't let go of any tradition easily. The school I mentioned about the yoga controversy wasn't here, I want to say it was in Texas but I'm not positive. Found the article, it was actually California, which I found really surprising.
    http://www.denverpost.com/nationworld/ci_21828930/parents-considering-legal-action-over-school-yoga

@cinorjer I started learning about it at school and on the internet as it seemed like an interesting religion and I was interested in Meditation and Yoga, The Four noble truths seemed to make sense to me and meditation was such a helpful and pleasurable experience. So far I have read an eBook on Buddhism by Geshe Kelsand Gyatso and am reading a second one, I have chosen to be part of the Kadampa tradition of Vajrayana Buddhism.

Modern Buddhism I take it ? A very good presentation on Sutra and Tantra, If you want to start a practice @TheEccentric I'd recommend Lamrim as a good starting point.
    Yup I am currently reading the one on Tantra

Yup I am currently reading the one on Tantra

Its a nice overview and very accessible :)

• @cinorjer I started learning about it at school and on the internet as it seemed like an interesting religion and I was interested in Meditation and Yoga, The Four noble truths seemed to make sense to me and meditation was such a helpful and pleasurable experience. So far I have read an eBook on Buddhism by Geshe Kelsand Gyatso and am reading a second one, I have chosen to be part of the Kadampa tradition of Vajrayana Buddhism.

Such a sensible course! You have a fascinating journey ahead of you. I think we would be honored to have your voice included in our little cybersangha.

ToshTheEccentriccazlobster

Maybe you should ask yourself if you are too young to convert. Otherwise, you are not too young to do anything good. I mean to say, everyone, young or old, should be engaged in good activities, such as exchanging views in a forum like this and the likes. Age should not be a barrier at all. Hope to see you around, young man!
    @footiam thankyou :D
  • You are welcome!
  • I don't see anything wrong with it, your never to young or to old to be part of something that is inspiring. I really appreciate this site & I believe many others of all ages do to. What does age matter? we all find common ground, we all wish to practice & share similar beliefs & interests. No one should ever put an age limit on friends, because they will pass up more then amazing people! old & young for that matter. I'm 21 & wish I would've started this practice much sooner, but I still have more then enough time. I just feel I would've appreciated life much more then I did at such a young age, which was the complete opposite for me lol. As for you though, all I can say is Practice on! :]
    cazTheEccentric