Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What are the major differences between Hinduism and Buddhism?

2»

Comments

• I know no Buddhist teachers who would agree with you on that Florian....check it out with some.
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited January 2013

robot said:

I am touring Thailand at the moment. I have seen people kneeling before statues that have not existed for centuries. People adorning with incense, candles, and such, objects that have only the vaguest connection to what might have been an image of Buddha, like a footprint for example, or the broken off feet of a statue.
    I have visited dozens of temples in which people are worshiping statues. It is normal in Buddhism.

I don't see it as worship be cause worship is where you worship something as a deity and the Buddha said not to wroship him as a god so it would be blatantly ignioring him to worship him. The way I see it is paying respect to the statues to gain respect for the Dharma so you practice it more and reach enlightenment faster and also make offerings like incense, candles, flowers etc to reduce greed which is one of the three poisons.
    well - make offerings like incense, candles, flowers etc to reduce greed which is one of the three poisons - never thought that these things are offered to reduce greed, rather i think that these things are offered with greed in mind to get something in the material world. different perspectives of seeing things.
  • edited January 2013
    Very interesting and insightful. As opined above thst nirvana cannot be proven in view of its non dualistic universality, this is untrue, it can be proven if you would to read sutra attentively by renown zen patriarches in the platform sutra especially the master who was illiterate in written and reading of words himself. As for the origin of the universe, it has been elaborated very clearly in the sutra like the shurangama sutra, avatamsaka sutra and the two specific sutra on sakya origin, sakya is inherent nature of all beings and non beings. In an open minded reading, Hinduism is surely a highly profound discipline, and it seemed to originate specifically to the broad culture of people in India, hindi etc. An Buddha is citizen of india, a hindu culture as well. And there is no reason for him to go against hindu ascetic practitioners or hindu culture of hinduism. He attainment as Buddha can be identified as person, being or supreme being. Buddha is a non dualistic nature of all by term and ism, is the rational of universe, mind, beings, non beings, soul and its origin. It also provides various technique and ways structurally to become Buddha, and not specific Buddha is more supreme than other but you yourself is also Buddha, and everyone is also buddha, so dearing and charming, so very lovely, so very family of universe, and will buddha go against buddha, will buddha go against hindu, will buddha go against christian, will buddha go against muslim etc, they are all buddha, your ownself, so loving so enchanting, so adoring, how can you not loving yourself, ooh goodness oh!
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Deepankar said:

Very interesting and insightful. As opined above thst nirvana cannot be proven in view of its non dualistic universality, this is untrue, it can be proven if you would to read sutra attentively by renown zen patriarches in the platform sutra especially the master who was illiterate in written and reading of words himself. As for the origin of the universe, it has been elaborated very clearly in the sutra like the shurangama sutra, avatamsaka sutra and the two specific sutra on sakya origin, sakya is inherent nature of all beings and non beings. In an open minded reading, Hinduism is surely a highly profound discipline, and it seemed to originate specifically to the broad culture of people in India, hindi etc. An Buddha is citizen of india, a hindu culture as well. And there is no reason for him to go against hindu ascetic practitioners or hindu culture of hinduism. He attainment as Buddha can be identified as person, being or supreme being. Buddha is a non dualistic nature of all by term and ism, is the rational of universe, mind, beings, non beings, soul and its origin. It also provides various technique and ways structurally to become Buddha, and not specific Buddha is more supreme than other but you yourself is also Buddha, and everyone is also buddha, so dearing and charming, so very lovely, so very family of universe, and will buddha go against buddha, will buddha go against hindu, will buddha go against christian, will buddha go against muslim etc, they are all buddha, your ownself, so loving so enchanting, so adoring, how can you not loving yourself, ooh goodness oh!

Reading a sutra does not prove nibanna.

• Citta said:

I know no Buddhist teachers who would agree with you on that Florian....check it out with some.

Seriously, I know of none who would disagree. But I'm sure there are some. Still, most say that there is only one mysticism, and that would be my view. I suppose it all depends on whether we are talking about Hinduism as a popular religion or a Hinduism fully informed by the late Vedas and the Gita.

Perhaps it would be right to say that generally Hinduism is different to Buddhism, but that it need not be different. It would depend on our interpretations. There seem to be more differences between certain strands of Buddhism than between Mahayana and advaita.

A friend of Wei Wu Wei, the advaitan philosopher and sage, once told me he is a Buddha. I reserve judgment on that claim, although do not entirely dismiss it, but I can say that these two people could find little to argue about.
  • Dependent Arising ( or Dependent Origination ) is the key to Dhamma and is unique to Buddhism.
    Of course Hindus wont agree.
    Thats the whole point. The Buddha completed the Vedic religion , and in doing so made it redundant.
  • vinlyn said:

Deepankar said:

Reading a sutra does not prove nibanna.

It is always nice to decorate the writing abit here for fun of it, and hope that it did not arouse any dishonor to anyone reading it.
    The degree of sincerity in the contemplation on reading a sutra determined the degree of achievement. It also depends upon the aptitude and amount of letting go the ignorance minds.
    Not reading a sutra in this current modern era is extremely difficult leading to nibanna. Sixth zen master, the highest grade buddhist incomparable in his era and now also listened to a sutra verse to realize bodhi and actualized thereafter - one same sutra. For speedy buddhaness, one may contemplate on just one sutra, this will achieve focus speedier :p
  • @vinlyn just to add that any sutra in buddhism contained truth of all beings and buddha. Vajrayana tradition applying phenomena itself in its tantricity, and sutra like Earthstore Sutra is also a vajrayana tradition as it relating phenomena itself in its tantricity, and sutra tutorial tradition is exegesis on the reality relating to its phenomena :D
    If sutras prove some Buddhist principle, then the Bible proves Christian beliefs and the Koran proves Islamic beliefs.
  • Practice is what shows the truth of the Buddhas teachings. The Suttas are a framework.

Practice is what shows the truth of the Buddhas teachings. The Suttas are a framework.

That I would agree with.

• misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Deepankar said:

@vinlyn just to add that any sutra in buddhism contained truth of all beings and buddha

are all the Suttas of Tipitaka valid? if yes, then Brahma should exist, as Brahma asked Buddha to teach Dhamma, as per one Sutta. Also the realms of heaven and hell should exist, Gods should exist. So if Brahma exists, then whatever all is said in Hinduism all cannot be false. As Hindu mythology says that Brahma was originated by Shiva, so Shiva should exist - which though depicted as a God sitting in samadhi position is not the actual Shiva, but the actual Shiva is the pure consciousness in which Shakti merges with at crown chakra in Kundalini awakening.
  • edited January 2013
    vinlyn said:

If sutras prove some Buddhist principle, then the Bible proves Christian beliefs and the Koran proves Islamic beliefs.

In Buddhism, the buddhist respect all traditions such as in different Buddhism sects as these are rivers flowing into the ocean, but focus on their own practice of their particular sect. And most buddhists respecting all other religions tenet because these buddhists know that all phenomena and non phenomena arises from the same origin of inherent truth. And all religions and non religions has its good value, and they have their democractic principle into its faithful destination, Buddhists rejoice their charitable deeds and blessing for others as well.
    This policy of understanding in based upon the Shurangama sutra stated the 25 main categories that leading into same attainment from a practitioner enquiring these 25 bodhisavattas wholesome methods of enlightenment, and each and every one of them only stating the delight of their own successful method leading into the ocean. Thus all path in buddhism leads to enlightenment.
    Florian
    Deepankar said:

vinlyn said:

In Buddhism, the buddhist respect all traditions such as in different Buddhism sects as these are rivers flowing into the ocean, but focus on their own practice of their particular sect. And most buddhists respecting all other religions tenet because these buddhists know that all phenomena and non phenomena arises from the same origin of inherent truth. And all religions and non religions has its good value, and they have their democractic principle into its faithful destination, Buddhists rejoice their charitable deeds and blessing for others as well.
    This policy of understanding in based upon the Shurangama sutra stated the 25 main categories that leading into same attainment from a practitioner enquiring these 25 bodhisavattas wholesome methods of enlightenment, and each and every one of them only stating the delight of their own successful method leading into the ocean. Thus all path in buddhism leads to enlightenment.
    You miss the point entirely and you are not responding to what I wrote.
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited January 2013
    "There is one God and one truth, one religion and one mysticism. Call it Sufism or Christianity or Hinduism or Buddhism, whatever you wish. As God cannot be divided, so mysticism cannot be divided. It is an error when a person says, "My religion is different from yours." He does not know what religion means. Neither can there be many mysticisms, just as there cannot be many wisdoms; there is only one wisdom. It is an error of mankind to say, "This is eastern and that is western." This only shows lack of wisdom."

The Message through Inayat Khan
    Adapted from talks given in the early 1900's.
    http://www.spiritual-learning.com/mysticism-1.html

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Also, read this article,submitted in another thread, by lobster.....