Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Thanksgiving Recipes--Share Here! (Non-Yanks Also Welcome)

DakiniDakini Veteran
edited November 2012 in General Banter
Here's my contribution (for non-vegetarians):

As an exciting change of pace from the customary turkey, if you're dining alone or as a couple or family of 3:
Try pheasant. It's very tasty, not gamey. Whole Foods carries it, your local food co-op may, or your local wild game vendor.

Step 1: remove neck, gizzard, etc. from inside. Rub outside and inside with salt (this is crucial to avoid a tough bird).
Step 2: In a cast-iron soup pot or equivalent, sear the bird on all sides in olive oil (about 1/4 cup), turning every few minutes, until brown. 15-20 minutes.
Step 3: Pour 1 lb. (about 2-3 cups) of sour cream into the pot. Stir to combine with olive oil already present. Baste bird with this combo.
Step 4: Place in preheated oven to 350 degrees, f. Continue basting every 15 mins. Bake for 45 mins. Good served with brown rice. (Spoon some of the hot sour cream onto rice.)

One bird serves 2 adults very adequately. 2 adults and 1 child can also work. Enjoy!

Comments

• NiwalenNiwalen Explorer
    edited November 2012
    Not sure if you eat 'stuffing' in the US but we eat it here at xmas by
    cooking it inside your Turkey/chicken/duck

To make the stuffing, combine breadcrumbs with onion and sage in a large mixing bowl, then stir in a little boiling water and mix thoroughly. Next work some sausagemeat or minced pork and egg, if using, into this mixture and season with salt and pepper.

Leave the stuffing covered in a cool place – but not in the fridge, as it shouldn't be too cold when you come to stuff the turkey. Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 7, 425°F (220°C).
  • Roasted yam sweet potatoes!

Not a recipe but delish.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Tofu Pot Pie, all time favorite. :)

http://www.food.com/recipe/tofu-pot-pie-269037
  • I don't like cranberry sauce so I make this...

Apples sauteed in butter
    Add sugar, cinnamon, and chopped pecans, and raisins
    Stir

I just eyeball the amounts. Better to have extra, so a fair amount of apples to suit the size of the family. Then with apples done you put everything else to eyeballing and taste.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2012
    Thought I would add a basic cooking tip as there are probably some learning cooks.

When you sautee the pan is around medium maybe a little hotter, though it takes more practice hotter because it is in danger of burning.

Then the rule: Hot Pan. Hot oil. Hot food.

That means you set the pan to heat. On my halogen stove it takes about 2 minutes and thirty seconds. Then you add the oil and heat maybe 2 minutes. Then the onion or whatever you sautee. The success is determined by if your food sizzles right when added to the pan. Otherwise it's not totally a sautee, because it's not seared to lock in juice and it is kinda stewed. With butter you watch it carefully than oil and add the food when the butter is bubbling but you gotta catch it before it turns brown.

:clap:
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Candied yams are the single thing I cannot live without at Thanksgiving. I'm lazy and usually buy the canned yams, lol. Drain the syrup, put them in a glass baking dish, top with some slabs of butter and a few spoons of brown sugar, bake for maybe 20, 25 minutes. Yummo. some people put marshmallows on the top, but I have a strong dislike for marshmallows unless they are burned, and on a smores.
  • Lefse- spread with real butter and brown sugar.
    karasti
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    I tried Pumpkin Pie when I was in the States but didn't really like it. I am used to having pumpkin in a savoury dish e.g. pumpkin soup, roast pumpkin so maybe that was the reason.

Yams are good though :thumbsup:
  • Pumpkin soup is wonderful. We had a pie tonight (cause I'm going over to my dad's tomorrow). The pie was a pecan pumpkin creation, the mating of a pumpkin with a pecan. :) It had chopped candied pecans in a pumpkin pie filling which had molasses in it. I can't wait till tomorrow to have some pie for breakfast.