Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Star Wars

ZenLunaticZenLunatic Veteran
edited May 2005 in General Banter
OK, show of hands, who here got one of their first buddhism lessons from Obi-Wan or Yoda :wavey:

There are quite a lot of similarities between the jedi way and the buddhist way!

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2005
    You have Nooooo idea...!!
    My fave quotation comes from the bit where Luke Skywalker's ship is in a swamp, and Yoda lifts it out for him....
    L. S. "I don't believe it!!"

Yoda: "That is why you fail!"
    How true.... how very, very true.....!

:banghead: :lol:
  • ZenLunaticZenLunatic Veteran
    edited May 2005
    My wrestling coach used to like to quote Yoda in practice..his fav was "Do..or do not... there is no 'try'"
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2005
    Yeah, and I think Oprah Winfrey stole it, and neatly marketed it as her own, when she started saying "Trying" isn't "doing".... don't the influential rich & famous just make you want to scream....??!!??
  • edited May 2005
    I wouldn't say I got my first lessons there, but I had to hold my tongue while watching the recent movies with my hubby. I keep wanting to say, "Oh, that's so Buddhist!" Same for the Matrix.

However, I dislike how some movies really play upon the Christian focus on duality (good vs. evil). Sometimes it's more of a Taoist duality, and I can stand that. But this with good guys in white vs. thoroughly evil guys in black - come on! Oh no, the Dark Side! At least they in Star Wars they did attempt to show the personal changes Anakin underwent with some continuity and how both sides could see themselves as in the right. Kudos for that.

That said:
    Oh so cute Yoda is!!!!
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited May 2005
    The whole "sextology" is rife with buddhist thought.

Ep 2: discussion between anakin and padme about attachment and love

Ep 3: Fear leads to self destruction

Ep 4: let go of your perceptions. Don't be fooled by your senses

Ep 5: EVERYTHING yoda says during luke's initial training.

Ep 6: Vader's redemption

:D

<-- biggest star wars nerd ever
    edited May 2005
    I don't think so.... you haven't met my ex- oh dear, oh dear, oh dear....! :lol:
  • edited May 2005
    He may of been a puppet but for many it was the start of a long journey...

yoda2pu.jpg
    edited May 2005
    This is great... I keep geting topic reply notifications from both sites, both about Star Wars and how Yoda is a Buddhist....!!

Someone posted that at least he no longer sounds like fozzie bear....
    I commented....

"As long as he doesn't start sounding like Miss Piggy....

"Pretentious? Moi? Haaaaaaah-yah!"
    *flings hair back off shoulders after flooring a Storm-trooper with a deadly left hook*!! "
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited May 2005
    .....well, I know that after I saw Return of the Jedi when it first came out I spent the next ten years secretly practicing to use the force. It was the first movie I saw in the theatre. I sooooo wanted to be yoda. It may explain why the Buddha's teachings seemed to stand out so much for me. He was a Jedi master without the lightsaber. Incidentally, I never did get the damn force to work. I couldn't even get a penny to move. But once in a while I still give it a shot. One day...one day...
  • ZenLunaticZenLunatic Veteran
    edited May 2005
    I wouldn't say I got my first lessons there, but I had to hold my tongue while watching the recent movies with my hubby. I keep wanting to say, "Oh, that's so Buddhist!" Same for the Matrix.

The Matrix (at least the first one, I haven't seen the other two yet) is wrought with Buddhist and Post-modernist thought. In the beginning, when the people come to Neo's to get something presumably illegal, he gets it out of a hollowed out book. That book was written by one of the forefront thinkers of the postmodern movement, Jean Baudrillard. The book, which should have been a dead give away to what 'the matrix' was, is "Simulation and Simulacra".

I also love the little shaved head kid at the oracle's house who tells Neo that it's not really the spoon that bends, as there is no spoon. Rather, it is your mind that bends!

It reminds me of my favorite quote from Baudrillard, and one I use as a signature on other boards:

"the simulacrum is never that which conceals the truth--it is the truth which conceals that there is none."
  • edited May 2005
    cool zen :) thanks! helps explain the movies and endings much better.... here are some more quotes from the book you mentioned:

" To dissimulate is to pretend; in pretending, one imitates something real and thus affirms it: one "leaves the principle of reality intact." To simulate, on the other hand, is "to feign to have what one doesn't have." This destroys any connection to reality. "

" It is by putting an arbitrary stop to this revolving causality that a principle of political reality can be saved. It is by the simulation of a conventional, restricted perspective field, where the premises and consequences of any act or event are calculable, that a political credibility can be maintained (including, of course, "objective" analysis, struggle, etc.) But if the entire cycle of any act or event is envisaged in a system where linear continuity and dialectical polarity no longer exist, in a field unhinged by simulation, then all determination evaporates, every act terminates at the end of the cycle having benefited everyone and been scattered in all directions. "
    edited May 2005
    :wtf: