Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Samsara documentary

Samsara

Has anyone else seen this? It's playing in really limited theaters, but if you see a showing coming your way, I highly suggest checking it out. Aside from the sheer beauty and visual experience, the way the shots are ordered and the transitioning between them is so artful. I saw it last night at a small theater in Colonial Williamsburg; it's only showing for one week here.

I don't usually spring for movies (my fiance is the movie collector) but I'm going to pick this up on Bluray once it's available. So flippin' pretty! Even the scenes that were filled with suffering and oozed sadness. All beautiful.
PhaseSeven

Comments

• edited November 2012
    Haven't seen it yet but mean to. It's actually a follow up to the film Baraka.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    No! But thank you!!
  • Saw it. Was kind of disturbed and amazed at the same time after watching it.

The ending scene is very important :).
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    It'll never come anywhere near me, but I'll make a note to find it on dvd, thanks for the heads up!
    According to amazon it'll be out on DVD on January 8th.
  • @taiyaki are you talking about the mandala? that was the best! when it first appeared earlier i explained to my partner the significance in constructing and destroying mandalas - then when it popped up again, I was like, "Here they go!"

the disturbing scenes were a little rough, but flowed through very well with all the other scenes. that one with the guy and the mud on his face was very strange... partner said that it reminded him of an old Tool video haha.

between that, and the very obvious way they had the woman with the cool fingernails closing her eyes at the beginning and then opening them (and opening her hands with the little eyes in them) at the end - it was just so cool to recognize what he was trying to convey.

i left feeling like i'd just sat for two hours without letting myself be distracted by a single thought, and that's awesome because that was the movie's intention.

@karasti - thanks for the info! I'm definitely going to scoop that up in January.
  • Spoilers:

Yes the vajra and cutting through the mandala signifying that its all an illusion.

Yet in the end there is Avalokiteshvara, the bodhisattva of compassion.

It kind of ties all the realms of existence in its beauty and hell. Then holds the heart in the intuition that its all illusory yet thats where the Mahayana begins.

Wonderful movie.
    TreeLuvr87
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    Any free full version available online - any url please.

I think this is it?
    LeonBasin said:

I think this is it?
    Nevermind. It was another film with the same name.
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    @LeonBasin: no, the video you posted above is Samsara 2011 - a movie which i already saw online - this is a movie in which people speak.

the Samsara 2012 - movie which i asked above - is that created by the makers of Baraka, so i think this should be a non-voice film of only photos, like Baraka was. this is my guess, as i have not seen it till now. the only options which i see are the trailer options available, without the full version available freely online. so asked is its free full version available online.

@LeonBasin: no, the video you posted above is Samsara 2011 - a movie which i already saw online - this is a movie in which people speak.

the Samsara 2012 - movie which i asked above - is that created by the makers of Baraka, so i think this should be a non-voice film of only photos, like Baraka was. this is my guess, as i have not seen it till now. the only options which i see are the trailer options available, without the full version available freely online. so asked is its free full version available online.

Sorry, I could not find the other one.
    Just a note, be careful what free versions of anything you watch online as many of them are stolen and not supposed to be online. With documentary types of movies, many of them do end up online legally. But just because it is online, does not mean it is just free and ok to watch. Battling online piracy is a huge problem, and as a Buddhist I would think you wouldn't want to contribute to stolen property.
    Cole_person
  • karasti said:

Just a note, be careful what free versions of anything you watch online as many of them are stolen and not supposed to be online. With documentary types of movies, many of them do end up online legally. But just because it is online, does not mean it is just free and ok to watch. Battling online piracy is a huge problem, and as a Buddhist I would think you wouldn't want to contribute to stolen property.

I would suggest if at all possible to make a contribution to the creator's time and dedication by purchasing it or watching it on one of the networks who pays the creator for use of their work, such as netflix, hulu, etc. Karasti has a point in saying this is like supporting stolen property in a way.
    BhikkhuJayasaraperson
  • The law is made by the rich, for the rich. Breaking it - online, especially - isn't that big a deal. Christ said, we must follow the spirit of the law, not just the letter of the law.
  • I'm not sure this so much a debate of law, but a debate of moral. It is a topic likely everyone will have a different view on, as to what is property and what isn't. As giving an opinion, and nothing more, I see in this case where supporting the creator is important, but only if you are able to. I could not fault a homeless man for obtaining a free copy of it, just as the homeless are welcomed into any Buddhist temple, but it is respectful to support the causes we believe in if at all possible.
    The films Baraka and Samsara aren't there to get people rich. They are art intended to share, but they were not produced for free. If you do not like the system of people getting rich, then you opt out of the system by not purchasing the products. That doesn't mean it is ok to steal them. If you would not walk into the store and steal the DVD off the shelf, then you shouldn't do it online, either. The films are not expensive. I have the bluray of Baraka and I paid $14 for it.

If you make a product, and spend a lot of time and your own resources to make that product and you opt to give it away just so people can experience it, then terrific! But not everyone can afford to do that, and you are taking away from their livelihood by supporting thieves. When you view pirated material, you are supporting one bad side of the issue in favor of the other bad side of the issue. We aren't talking about virtual Robin Hoods here. There is nothing about movies that we HAVE to see. They are a want, not a need, and there is no reason to view them if you cannot afford to do it properly.
    Cole_
  • I just watched the movie that was linked in @LeonBasin 's post a few comments back. I enjoyed it. Nicely done. Thought the ending could have been more ...well... definitive, so to speak.... but I get why it wouldn't be.
    I also completely understood Pema's point of view (in her ending monologue to Tashi ) regarding Siddhartha's leaving his wife and child and how no one really gives a fig about how this story/journey/enlightenment of HIS affected her or anyone else. I was predicting the words about 5 seconds before they came out of her mouth!

Anyway-
    As far as pirated movies and such online, YouTube has a pretty good reputation for becoming aware -very quickly- which videos, movies, etc are copyrighted and being posted illegally, and which aren't. They delete copyrighted stuff pretty fast.
    If you see something on YouTube, and it's been there for a while and seen by several hundred people or more... you can be fairly sure it's not an infringement or piracy.
    On of the biggest clues is if you are required to download the movie/show. If it is a torrent file, it is probably pirated. If it is obviously a case where someone recorded a move in a theater with a video camera, it is also pirated. If you are watching it on hulu or netflix or other well known companies who pay for the products they show on their sites, as someone else said, then that is ok.

Even though Youtube does a fairly good job, there are still a ton of tv shows and movies that are posted by users after they recorded them from their home systems and posted on youtube. They are still there, just some of them are older shows/movies that no one has bothered to report. Youtube doesn't look for them themselves, generally, they only respond to the owners/lawyers/etc reporting the piracy. So if it's older content and no one is paying attention, it's still there, but still just as illegal for it to be there.
  • @karasti, you use words like 'stealing' to gain a moral high ground. Others call it sharing. Besides, it isnt like stealing an actual physical object. If you steal $5 from someone, they are going to be poorer by $5. Not so with things online ... they can be produced and shared over and over, unlike physical objects which may incur production costs and such.

And 'not buying' is a terrific idea ... if one wants to live in a cave.
  • RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited December 2012
    Where do you think they get the money from to produce them? :wtf: It costs money to makes movies.
    edited December 2012
    @music, if you want to justify it, then go ahead. I'm not going to convince you otherwise. Just because it is "shared" doesn't make it ok. If you want to see something or have something that you are supposed to pay for, then pay for it. If you don't believe in paying for it, then you are not somehow entitled to have/see it because you've talked yourself into believing it's ok. You are not entitled to someone else's work for free just because you want it.

There are a lot of things I cannot have because I cannot afford it, or am not able to change my budget or whatever to have it. That doesn't mean I'm suddenly entitled to take it anyhow. Stealing is not the way to show your dislike for a system. You could take one of the most evil rich people in the world, the Walton family, the Koch brothers, who get rich in ways that make others suffer. However, their poor actions do not make it ok for you to steal from them. The only thing you can morally do is support companies that treat their people better and don't get rich off making someone else suffer. 2 wrongs does not make a right.

And I didn't post what I did as a moral judgement. I posted it because a lot of people really do not understand that just because it is online doesn't mean it's ok to watch it. As part of the illegal factor, it can get you in big trouble with your internet provider, and even land you in court if you are uploading and downloading things that do not belong to you. If you want to end up like the single mother who got fined $250,000 for "sharing" music that didn't belong to her, then that's your choice. Of course, this wouldn't apply to you, @music, so why worry about it, right?
  • I'm not taking sides, I'm not judging anyone, but here is The Law - as of August 2012:

(all Bold and Italics, mine)
    "The Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals ruled yesterday that a site that embeds copyrighted videos from another site is not committing copyright infringement.
    The court case between Flava Works, Inc. and myVidster.com came to a close after this ruling was passed in favor of the defendant, myVidster.
    The court also ruled that watching an infringing video does not constitute copyright infringement.

This case began back in 2010, when the adult video production company, Flava Works, sued a video bookmarking website, myVidster, for copyright infringement. The Court f0r the Northern District of Illinois issued myVidster a preliminary injunction in July 2011 where it was then appealed to the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals.

The court ruled Thursday that embedding a video that infringes on copyrighted material is not a violation of copyright law.
    For example, if I found an episode of The Simpsons on YouTube that I thought was really nifty and I embedded it in my blog, I wouldn’t be violating any copyright laws even if the person who uploaded the video to YouTube ripped it straight from The Simpsons’ season 3 DVD. It would be the person who put the video on YouTube who was breaking the law, not me.

The court’s decision also afforded protect to those who watch illegally uploaded copyrighted videos. Judge Richard Posner wrote in Thursday’s ruling:

“…as long as the visitor makes no copy of the copyrighted video that he is watching, he is not violating the copyright owner’s exclusive right… His bypassing Flava’s pay wall by viewing the uploaded copy is equivalent to stealing a copyrighted book from a bookstore and reading it. That is a bad thing to do (in either case) but it is not copyright infringement.”

Well, there you have it. Embedding and/or watching a copyrighted video isn’t a crime. This is a good day for everyone from the big guys like Facebook and Google (who both filed amicus briefs in support of myVidster) to your average everyday blogger. We can all now embed videos without fear or worry!"
    No, it isn't a crime to watch and I didn't mean to say it was. I said it was akin to stealing because it is supporting the people who do the stealing. If no one watches their videos, they don't have a reason to do it. Also, if you download it (ie using torrent sites) then you are in possession and it is illegal. That is what I was referring to with regards to the internet provider and law suits. Not simply watching it. Regardless, just because something is there, doesn't mean it's ok to watch it. If you found a sack of money on the ground, would you take it or try to return it? Would you really be legally wrong in keeping it? In some circumstances, no. But would you be right, morally, in keeping it knowing it wasn't rightfully yours?

A good friend of mine is a man who researches bears. He has spent all his own money to pay for his private research and built a bear education facility. in recent years he has been on nat geo and bbc for his research, and the videos from those shows have been uploaded online a bunch of times. He requests they be taken down, but because they are hosted in other countries, they just don't listen. He asks people who follow his work not to watch them, not to support people who stole the program and put it online. Also I know many photographers who feel the same way about photots constantly shared on FB and pinterest and elsewhere online with no credit given,and often with them taking credit for work that is not theirs. Instead of insisting it's within your rights to do it and you aren't doing anything bad because you weren't the one who uploaded it, again, put your feet in someone else's shoes.
  • RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited December 2012
    If you're interested in copyright (and not getting sued) I'd ditch the hell out of a pinterest account. It's like a million lawsuits just begging to happen :lol:
    edited December 2012
    Isn't that the truth, lol. I made one and after about a half hour of looking around, left and never went back. I should probably delete that...
    Anyhow, I'm no trying to convince anyone or debate the issue. The law around it is actually fairly complex. I just wanted people who are looking to watch things free online, know that "free" is not always what it's made out to be, and often times things posted for free online are things posted by thieves who use other people's work without paying for it to make money for themselves. And by making money I'm not talking about the free downloads they offer, though many, many of them get rich off the donations people provide to help keep the various websites up and running. They also use the videos and images to make money in other ways, including by selling images that are not their to the press to use, and other such things. It's not as harmless as we like to believe, and I know that because I used to do it and had it pointed out to me the harm that does come for it, so I stopped and just wanted to give others the same fair warning. Look into what it costs someone when their stuff is uploaded without their permission, and it's not limited to the rich people who run Hollywood.

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited December 2012
    since we have moved into a discussion of the 5 precepts ( ie to not take what is not given) I'll add my 2 cents.

I was one who downloaded movies and video games growing up, I even burned movies off of Netflix after I took the 5 precepts, but through my practice I came to decide for myself that this is stealing and since then I have purchased anything I've wanted to own.

I cannot judge anyone elses ideas of what that precept entails, I can only go with my own gut and my own practice. What I do see is this attitude of " they are a rich company screw them they don't need my money" kind of attitude, which of course stems from our own greed, hatred, and delusion. We should work to move away from this kind of feeling and observe it when it arises in us. It's the old two wrongs don't make a right thing.. just because the person is rich, doesn't mean we should steal from them or that this somehow is justified.

In the west there definitely appears to me to be this idea that Buddhists are "on the left" or anti corporations etc etc, imo this is definitely a wrong view that is especially perpetuated by Hollywood as well with these actors who claim to be Buddhist. if you advance in your practice you go behind these "sides" and this side is right, this side is wrong, bla bla... disputation and a waste of time we could spend in mindful observation of the present moment :)
    karasti
  • edited December 2012
    I haven't but once I do I'll come back and re-read this thread and put my own $0.02 into the pot. :D
  • Jayantha said:

since we have moved into a discussion of the 5 precepts ( ie to not take what is not given) I'll add my 2 cents.

I was one who downloaded movies and video games growing up, I even burned movies off of Netflix after I took the 5 precepts, but through my practice I came to decide for myself that this is stealing and since then I have purchased anything I've wanted to own.

I cannot judge anyone elses ideas of what that precept entails, I can only go with my own gut and my own practice. What I do see is this attitude of " they are a rich company screw them they don't need my money" kind of attitude, which of course stems from our own greed, hatred, and delusion. We should work to move away from this kind of feeling and observe it when it arises in us. It's the old two wrongs don't make a right thing.. just because the person is rich, doesn't mean we should steal from them or that this somehow is justified.

In the west there definitely appears to me to be this idea that Buddhists are "on the left" or anti corporations etc etc, imo this is definitely a wrong view that is especially perpetuated by Hollywood as well with these actors who claim to be Buddhist. if you advance in your practice you go behind these "sides" and this side is right, this side is wrong, bla bla... disputation and a waste of time we could spend in mindful observation of the present moment :)

excellent post

I do, however, find it a hindrance that we have developed a society where the financial value of something supersedes the true value of it. We have turned sharing (which is good) into stealing (which is bad).