Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Belonging

I've noticed that myself and others on this site seem overly keen to belong, we want to adopt a label of Buddhist. We want to adopt whatever behaviour is needed to fit in.

Is this behaviour covered in any of the texts? I get the feeling that it's one of those that when we can move past this need then we'll be better off.
lobster

Comments

• It has to do with mandalas which are seen in sand paintings with a center that radiates outward to the whole mandala. The world is made of multiple mandalas. Like a house has an inside and outside so too with a mandala.

There is a flow of energy to the mandala and we experience this energy as a pressure to see if we are 'in' or 'out'. Multiple mandalas. At the borders there is very high energy that expresses itself as emotion. Like you are on the fence.

The thing with mandalas is that you can be taken over, your higher principles. Instead of awareness as the center of your mandala it could become belonging or being praised for example.

Do you see how fitting in has to do with mandalas? It's how you relate with a mandala.
    lobsterperson
  • Be in the mandala but not of the mandala :wave:
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    I think we all belong to each other.
    I'm trying to stand out, but
    I'm trying to stand in. It's the group hug.
    haha

In order to belong now.... instead of fish-speaking
    courses....word on the street is ...it's tree talk.
    Or is it princes and princesess?

Oh well. If I dont figure it out.....
    I'll just keep being me.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    edited November 2012
    that longing.

not sure if we're supposed to move past it.

though it is an interesting inquiry.

what does belonging imply when investigated deeper?

when I examine belonging or that deep longing. its a desire to feel connected to a wellspring of love radiating outwards from the chest.

Diving into that I find something interesting.

The longing and the love are not different.

I say cultivate that belonging. Go deeper and see what it means in the body. Then open up to it and keep opening up to it. Its important to realize theres no finality, its uncertain. There is nothing for the mind to wrap its hands around. Is this the beautiful God dwellings? Is this god? Hehe I hope this pisses some Buddhists off. <3

We have gold but it is obscured.
    Jeffreykarasti
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2012
    I feel it brother!

I think that our bodies can't always manifest/contain/express what is going on in our citta.
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    I read somewhere in a dharma book "A person who has entered the stream is no longer dependent upon the views of others".
  • I've noticed that myself and others on this site seem overly keen to belong, we want to adopt a label of Buddhist.

/blockquote>

We are very attached, that's for sure!

• @footiam beat me to it

Belonging = attachment.