Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Does going for refuge have to be in an Asian language?

TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
Can you do it English aswell, when I first did it I did it in either the Sanskrit or Pali version, I'm not sure which they're both pretty similair but I would like to do it again, can I do it in English to save my self from having to remeber the words in a traditional langauge?

Comments

• BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    edited December 2012
    Yes, of course. There's no magic involved with another language, it's just tradition.
    I like to to it in English too, so I know what I'm saying. But I also sometimes like doing it in Pali, to connect me with the tradition. I don't memorize it, I read it from a bit of paper.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Definitely. When I did it last month we did both English and Tibetan.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    You do realise that the 'Our Father' wasn't originally written in English? Or Latin, even....?

I believe you'll find the original version was in Aramaic. Imagine telling countless millions of Christians that their rendition of the prayer is ineffective, unless prayed in that language........
    Vastmind
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    Thankyou guys I'll try do it English and also occasionaly do it in the traditional versions.
  • Can you do it English aswell, when I first did it I did it in either the Sanskrit or Pali version, I'm not sure which they're both pretty similair but I would like to do it again, can I do it in English to save my self from having to remeber the words in a traditional langauge?

If you do it in Sanskrit or Pali and do not know its meaning, then probably, there's no point at all.
    vinlyn
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran

Can you do it English aswell, when I first did it I did it in either the Sanskrit or Pali version, I'm not sure which they're both pretty similair but I would like to do it again, can I do it in English to save my self from having to remeber the words in a traditional langauge?

Of course It doesn't matter what language it is done in, It is the mind generated by it.
    TheEccentric
  • It can be in any language. Remember what you take refuge in.

That is the main point. Your life, your karmic circumstance, your study, your practice, your oath to free yourself.
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    the cool kids take it in the Pali... lol just kidding, I'm just a Pali addict so I recite the precepts in Pali. The words are just conventions, what matters most is the right intention and right effort to follow the path and practice dhamma :).
    TheEccentricVastmind