Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Silk

What's the deal with silk from a Buddhist perspective?

They might only be insects but billions of silkworms are killed every year to produce enough silk to meet global demand and after all, a life is a life.

Comments

• That's a good point. In the interconnectedness of all beings many are like a mother and father to you. All of our stuff comes from mother and father beings. You were born with absolutely nothing, naked and ignorant. Everything you have has been given to you by mother and father beings.
    andyrobyn
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Buddhist precepts still apply, worms or not. I also assume dealing in silk does not meet right livelihood conditions, either. Makes me sad to think about. I just finished reading a Nat Geo about the elephant slaughter that continues. Very sad.
  • What's the deal with silk from a Buddhist perspective?

They might only be insects but billions of silkworms are killed every year to produce enough silk to meet global demand and after all, a life is a life.

According to some Buddhist books, there are wholesome and unwholesome jobs. Since one of the 5 precepts for layman is not to kill, creating silk should be unwholesome since you say, silkworm is also life. Don't be involved in making silk then and you'd not be worrying sick!