Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Funding / support for Buddhist project with recovering addicts

Heya,

Over the last year i've taken some recovering addicts from where I work over to a local Buddhist centre to do a week working visit. Everyone who has been has absolutely loved the experience, and many have come back for repeat visits, and it is something that I would love to be able to continue and develop. The problem is that I need to take holidays to have the time to take them over, and obviously I only have so many holidays a year.

What i'd like to be able to do is to take a group of recovering addicts every other week. The Buddhist centre are up for it, the recovering addicts are up for it, and I certainly am, it's just a matter of raising funds so I could make it my job, which would be the only cost involved. I currently earn £15,000 a year doing my job, which is fine, so essentially i'd need to raise about £15,000 a year.

Does anyone have any ideas how this could be achieved? Are their Buddhists who sponsor and fund such projects? Would I be better off registering as a charity and doing it that way? It's a wonderful opportunity and so much good has come from it already. One lad who I took had no previous interest in spirituality at all, but has since bought Buddhist books and talked about moving to the centre, so it really has had significant benefits already just in the few visits i've managed.

Any ideas or thoughts would be much appreciated. Thank you kindly. :)
JeffreyCole_

Comments

• (being that I woke up 2 secs ago, i am of no help...) However it sounds like a wonderful idea and I hope it all works out somehow...Ill send my thoughts and prayers and metta out in the universe that it may carry over for your good karma to make it happen.

May all beings be well and happy.

May all beings be free of suffering

May all beings come to know the true dharma

• ...i'd need to raise about £15,000 a year.

Does anyone have any ideas how this could be achieved?

Is there an income line generated from the activity?

What service is offered?
    How much do you need to break even?
    How much to make a profit?
    What are your numbers? projected turnover etc.
    Where will the funds that pay you come from?
    Any income generated already that you can scale up?
  • Zero said:

...i'd need to raise about £15,000 a year.

Does anyone have any ideas how this could be achieved?

What service is offered?
    Great questions!

Not that I can think of.

What service is offered?

I'm a support worker, so my support and all that entails.

Each individual would cover their own travel expenses, and once at the centre accommodation, food and classes are covered by work (gardening, cooking, cleaning etc.). So i'd need my own travel costs (approx £40 in total per week), and it would be nice to be able to buy the group a coffee etc. at the train station, so maybe £20 for that.

I don't want to make a profit. A living wage would be sufficient.

26 weeks a year with a group of 5-8 per week visit (including myself) which will include repeat-visitors. So, something like, say, 130 unique visits a year, plus around 40 - 60 repeat visits. If I met someone else who could do the other 26 weeks of the year then that could be an option too, in which case potentially double those figures.

My question too!

Nope.

Thank you. :)
  • kashi said:

(being that I woke up 2 secs ago, i am of no help...) However it sounds like a wonderful idea and I hope it all works out somehow...Ill send my thoughts and prayers and metta out in the universe that it may carry over for your good karma to make it happen.

May all beings be well and happy.

May all beings be free of suffering

May all beings come to know the true dharma

Thank you! How lovely and loving of you, it is greatly appreciated. :)
  • Are there any other people or organisations doing what you propose to do? I'd do some research and find out if there is, and see if I could copy their method of gaining funds.

And thinking outside the box, what about starting a Buddhist recovery meeting? A weekly thing maybe where a bunch of your guys/gals meet up with a teacher? It could be self supporting (like A.A.) where at the end you pass a hat and people give what they can. Rooms for rent for this purpose can be found fairly cheaply (Church basements/scout huts/hospitals/council offices).

We rent a council meeting room for very little money; about £5 per week. We leave it cleaner than we find it.

And I think it's great that you care for these people. Quite often alkies/addicts are looked down upon as dross.
  • Tosh said:

Are there any other people or organisations doing what you propose to do? I'd do some research and find out if there is, and see if I could copy their method of gaining funds.

And thinking outside the box, what about starting a Buddhist recovery meeting? A weekly thing maybe where a bunch of your guys/gals meet up with a teacher? It could be self supporting (like A.A.) where at the end you pass a hat and people give what they can. Rooms for rent for this purpose can be found fairly cheaply (Church basements/scout huts/hospitals/council offices).

We rent a council meeting room for very little money; about £5 per week. We leave it cleaner than we find it.

And I think it's great that you care for these people. Quite often alkies/addicts are looked down upon as dross.

Thanks for your reply. :) I haven't looked to see if anyone else is doing what I am proposing, but I can't imagine anyone is within my local area, in fact i'm 99.99% certain, as I work within the recovery community and no-one has mentioned anything over the last year of me doing this.

A Buddhist recovery meeting would be good. We have some Buddhist presence within our town. I have suggested a regular meet up for those who have attended the centre for a working visit - be it a weekly meditation group, morning coffee meet, etc. And i'd be able to host anything like that in the building where I work. There is a definite need for after care and support as the experience can be quite profound and returning home to regular life can be quite difficult.

Thanks again. :)
  • @mindatrisk - I'm not sure whether state funding is available - sometimes there is for certain projects - or perhaps you could try other charitable organisations to see if they are willing to fund part of it - maybe even the Buddhist centres will pay you to bring people... in my mind it seems like a long shot but I havent looked into this line so if I were you, I would research it top to bottom.

The challenge you have is that even at 130 unique visits at say £5 a pop is £650 over the entire year. If you need £60 odd per visit then say you have 6 people each time it's £10 each (that's if you have 6 every time) and at 26 weeks at £60 a pop you have £1,560.

You will need a profit to convert your maximum income to a living wage of say £15k a year - broadly from the figures above you'll need to scale up by a factor of 10.

Maybe work on it on the side and see what you can do with it, even if it remains a sideline.

Or maybe volunteer for the centre - they may cover your travel expenses in centre-related-activities...

• RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited December 2012
    You could find a few charities to partner with the Buddhist center and start offering the retreat as a program and get each charity to pay a part of your wage. You'd just need three charities at 5k a year to earn your wage and you'd have access to a larger client base. You'd essentially be a contractor.

Seeing as you've already had some success with it, chances are you could make up a pretty decent proposal. The easiest way to gain credibility would probably be to have the center "employ" you rather than try to register as a charity. It's a lot of red tape.
  • RebeccaS said:

You could find a few charities to partner with the Buddhist center and start offering the retreat as a program and get each charity to pay a part of your wage. You'd just need three charities at 5k a year to earn your wage and you'd have access to a larger client base. You'd essentially be a contractor.

Seeing as you've already had some success with it, chances are you could make up a pretty decent proposal. The easiest way to gain credibility would probably be to have the center "employ" you rather than try to register as a charity. It's a lot of red tape.

This is a good idea. Obviously I could look at addiction / recovery related charities who are more likely to be sympathetic to the addiction cause and supportive of this project - especially given the prominent spiritual element within the recovery community. Thanks for this, i'll think further on it.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited December 2012
    The biggest concern I think someone would have is whether or not you are interjecting your belief system onto the clients. Some family members that are Christian or whatever else may have objections especially if the person also has any kind of mental health disorder going along with their addictions. Also your employer may not approve because they may fear for your objectivity concerning the care.

I am just finishing my theory and in January will be going into clinical for my PSW diploma and am just actually studying this very thing at the moment.

I think it's a great idea if these obstacles can be overcome and obviously if the clients aren't made to feel any pressure.

• Many people have made many good points about the details surrounding the project you're working on. I just wanted to say that I support your cause and wish you great success!
  • ourself said:

The biggest concern I think someone would have is whether or not you are interjecting your belief system onto the clients. Some family members that are Christian or whatever else may have objections especially if the person also has any kind of mental health disorder going along with their addictions. Also your employer may not approve because they may fear for your objectivity concerning the care.

I am just finishing my theory and in January will be going into clinical for my PSW diploma and am just actually studying this very thing at the moment.

I think it's a great idea if these obstacles can be overcome and obviously if the clients aren't made to feel any pressure.

Great points, thank you! My personal belief is that our example is the best teacher and advert for our beliefs and ideas. If someone sees something that they like in me and wants to know how / why, then i'll share, otherwise I don't speak / preach / interject any of my own beliefs. The more pertinent question for many would be whether the Buddhists at the centre might interject their beliefs on visitors... but so far there has not been a hint of anything like that, and individuals are entirely free to engage or not engage with the Buddhist element of the visit as little or as much as they wish.

My employer already knows and supports the visits as the feedback has been so fantastic, but i'd be looking to leave my job to take this up fulltime anytime, although good relations with drug and alcohol services is vital.

If you'd like to continue this dialogue with regards your studies and interests then let me know... if it helps in any way. Thank you again.
  • Cole_ said:

Many people have made many good points about the details surrounding the project you're working on. I just wanted to say that I support your cause and wish you great success!

Thank you!