Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Procrastination

TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
I always leave things too the last minute, with meditation especially and reading about and studying BUddhism in general and leave them so long often I can only do part of the practice or not do it and it really is limiting myself.

Is there any way that I can stop this or should I just try my best to control myself?

Comments

• FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    There is no technique .. you either do or you don't.
    Not to sound superior ... my husband thinks I majored in Procrastination at university!
    But it's like quitting smoking or anything else that requires self-discipline. You do or you don't.
  • Procrastination is basically a passive-aggressive action and something most of us have encountered when it comes to meditation.

Usually there is some subconscious reason you're sabotaging yourself. Figure that out and the problem will resolve itself in due time.

Until then, just do your best. Give yourself an hours warning (maybe set an alarm or something) before you go to sit, then you can finish up whatever you're doing to give yourself the space to practice. Make it as easy as you can for yourself.
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    Thankyou, no problem I'll just have to use my willpower
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Buddhist practise is always dependent on the priority you give it over the other stimuli in your life. It is really just that simple. Manifesting it though, is the practise.
  • Contemplate death and how precious your life is.

How little time you have.

How everything you've tried in this life has come to a failure or dissatisfaction. Nothing delivers its goods.

How access to practice, study and a teacher is valuable and how many individuals lack this vision to freedom.

Don't take your life for granted.

These are the things I think about as soon as I wake up. And honestly if really explored will motivate you to no end.

But someday your motivation will shift. At first death and freedom become great motivators. But once we've tasted some freedom, once we've arrived at a bit of sanity. Then we realize our practice is for others. And that is when we really kick our practice into gear.

So first death, then others. Good luck.
    TheEccentricVastmindlobsterCole_
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    @taiyaki.....That was nice. Fruitful for me, if you will.
    :)
  • Is there any way that I can stop this or should I just try my best to control myself?
    Control yourself? You will put that off.
    Just procrastinate a few good things you want to do till after you do something you feel should be done.
    ecdrewello1
  • edited December 2012
    Procrastination's cure is to simply act now. I'm just about as bad as it gets. But lately, instead of thinking "oh I need to clean later", or "i'll do it tomorrow for sure" I just get up, and start doing it. First time in my life I've started to get things done. All thanks to Buddha's "don't think of the past, don't dream of the future, act in the present" quote along with taking on the mentality of impermanence. In Sogyal Rinpoche's Tibetan Book of Living and Dying, he talks about how monks would leave their cups clean and turned upside down next to their bed prior to going to sleep, in case they wouldn't need them by morning. Helped me start to break some of my old habits.

Edit: Taiyaki put it way better, refer to their post ;)
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Death is the answer a good meditation on this will make you remember why you need to practice Dharma now.
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    Thankyou too the people who reminded me too do Death MEditation I had read about that and was doing it in the past but since then I have been more focused on other meditations, I will have to remember to meditate on death and the danger of taking lower rebirth with them.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran

Thankyou too the people who reminded me too do Death MEditation I had read about that and was doing it in the past but since then I have been more focused on other meditations, I will have to remember to meditate on death and the danger of taking lower rebirth with them.

Lamrim is a cycle ! Repeat ! :)

TheEccentriclobster
  • thug4lyfethug4lyfe Explorer

I post on newbuddhist whenever I get the urge to procrastinate, problem solved!!!!

emergency plan B is posting on misc section of the bodybuilding forum.