Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Has anyone got any good mantras?

TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
The only Buddhist Mantras I know at the moment are "Om Mani Padme Hum" and "Om Muni Muni Maha Muni Shakyamuni Ye Soha" also a bunch of Vietnamese I think mantras which aren't relevant to me as my practice is mainly Tibetan.

Comments

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Om Tare Tuttare Ture Soha ( Arya Tara )

Tara works well for others particularly she promised to take special care of Lamrim practitioners. :)
    TheEccentric
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    Thankyou that sounds good I will try that :)
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited December 2012
    Mantras should be imparted to you by your teacher...Particularly if your practice is Tibetan.
    I don't have one being a solitary Buddhist, the nearest sangha is like 50-70 miles or so away, my parents would never take me there.
    Citta said:

Mantras should be imparted to you by your teacher...Particularly if your practice is Tibetan.

Depends if they are derived from Sutra or Tantra.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Great thread!:) I need to start using mantras and chanting in my meditation practice.
    TheEccentric
  • caz said:

Citta said:

Depends if they are derived from Sutra or Tantra.
    I think the use of any mantram outside of the teacher/student relationship can be subject to the law of unintended consequences.

I would make an exception for mantra-like words or phrases that are not centred around a bija-mantram. " Buddho" for example can be used by anyone with the breath. Breath out on "Budd " and in on "ho".
  • Buddha was against all this. Just reminding everyone.
    Inc88lobster
  • music said:

Buddha was against all this. Just reminding everyone.

How do you mean?
  • music said:

How exactly was Buddha against mantras? They're considered skillful means and used by all schools of Buddhism, including the Theravada schools.

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited December 2012
    Takuan said:

music said:

How exactly was Buddha against mantras? They're considered skillful means and used by all schools of Buddhism, including the Theravada schools.

I've never used or seen a mantra in Theravada... I guess the closest to a mantra would be Bud... dho... but that's not used much at all and is not technically a mantra as it's used in conjunction with the in and out breath and not because it has any special meaning or power.

I don't remember ever reading anything about the Buddha being against mantras.. but I've not seen where he taught them either. That being said I'm not downing mantras, I just have no use for them so far in my practice.
  • Jayantha said:

Takuan said:

music said:

I've never used or seen a mantra in Theravada... I guess the closest to a mantra would be Bud... dho... but that's not used much at all and is not technically a mantra as it's used in conjunction with the in and out breath and not because it has any special meaning or power.

I don't remember ever reading anything about the Buddha being against mantras.. but I've not seen where he taught them either. That being said I'm not downing mantras, I just have no use for them so far in my practice.
    The Bud-dho mantra is what I was referring to. I first learned about it through one of Mahasi Sayadaw's books, in which (if I remember correctly) he refers to it as a mantra. The Buddha does teach mantra in the Pureland Sutra.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited December 2012
    Actually Jayantha the Forest Tradition monks in the UK use Bud-dho a lot..and have retreats devoted to its practice.
    You are correct that it is not technically a mantram. By definition mantra have to contain a bija mantra. Bud-dho falls into category of words or phrases that are used LIKE mantras.
    Within Buddhadharma bija mantras are found in the Vajrayana including Shingon. I am not sure that any other schools use them.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited December 2012
    music said:

Buddha was against all this. Just reminding
    everyone.

It would be helpful if you showed your references for such a statement.
    In fact there are schools of Buddhism that use mantras and which are older than the Theravada.
    Takuan said:

Jayantha said:

Takuan said:

music said:

The Bud-dho mantra is what I was referring to. I first learned about it through one of Mahasi Sayadaw's books, in which (if I remember correctly) he refers to it as a mantra. The Buddha does teach mantra in the Pureland Sutra.
    aah.. I've never read the Pureland Sutra or any of the Mahayana ones( except the lotus a bit at a Mahayana retreat). So I should say in the Pali cannon he doesn't teach mantra there as far as I know.
    Citta said:

Actually Jayantha the Forest Tradition monks in the UK use Bud-dho a lot..and have retreats devoted to its practice.
    You are correct that it is not technically a mantram. By definition mantra have to contain a bija mantra. Within Buddhadharma bija mantra are found in the Vajrayana including Shingon. I am not sure that any other schools use them.

thank you for the clarification friend :).
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited December 2012
    If I'm not mistaken, anyone may recite the Medicine Buddha mantra:

Tayata Om Bekanze
    Bekanze Maha BeKanze
    Radza Samudgate Soha

OM (this is not a “word” but the intonation of the sacred vibration of the universe)
    Bekhandze O Healer (of suffering)
    Bekhandze O Healer (of the true cause of suffering)
    Maha bekhandze O Great Healer (of subtle defilements that cause suffering)
    Bekhandze Randza O King of Healing
    Samudgate perfectly liberated auspicious being
    Soha I offer this prayer and now relinquish it … (to you Medicine Buddha)
  • Do they have to be in the foreign languages? I know some mantras in english that I cannot spell in sanskrit or Tibetan.
    Jeffrey said:

Do they have to be in the foreign languages? I know some mantras in english that I cannot spell in sanskrit or Tibetan.

Personally, I seek out the proper Sanskrit/Tibetan pronunciation. The mantra seems to flow better for me. Not sure it makes a difference though as it's all about intention.

Jeffrey said:

Do they have to be in the foreign languages? I know some mantras in english that I cannot spell in sanskrit or Tibetan.

Personally, I seek out the proper Sanskrit/Tibetan pronunciation. The mantra seems to flow better for me. Not sure it makes a difference though as it's all about intention.
    The most important thing when reciting is a correct intention and subsequent mind. Sanskrit and Tibet a very blessed it connects back to the source of every practitioner who has accomplished realization through mantra practice.

BonsaiDoug
  • Yes, I know mantras orally but I don't know how to spell them.
  • I like Tibetan, Chinese, or Japanese mantras for their sound, but English is just as good.
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    Don't let mantras be a substitute for your investigation

But, do use them to help develop single-pointed focus.

Also, one invokes certain blessings through mantras. Buddha Nature is the essence of every being, so devotion and reverence to our most Fundament [like 'fundamental'] carries with it great benefits

Mantras I like: [you can search these phrases on youtube]

Green Tara

Manjushri mantra [also chanted when learning completely new topics, and when learning the tibetan language -- he is the Bodhisattva incarnation of true wisdom] -- have seen it rendered as "om a ra pa ja na dhi" - and you repeat the dhi ... dhi dhi dhi dhi dhi

Medicine Buddha Mantra (as someone posted above)

Mantras are awesome and all, but I would also recommend reading more, and where possible attending a teaching or mingling with members of a sangha, living carriers of direct knowledge

I just picked up The Joy of Living and Dying in Peace by the Dalai Lama, and it's both concise and profound - kind of aimed at people with less-than-bountiful time for practice

Dharma Joy and Dharma Love, may all people bloom peace

[people in a universal, not-limited to humans sense]
    TheEccentric
  • They are all good. Some will be more effective for your situation.
    I use the mantra OM YA HA HUM HRIH . . . But that is still in development . . . and of course only 'the management' can create mantras . . . ;)
    For now I feel you have been given good advice. Think of the mantra as an outer expression of your inner condition. Which quality do you wish to empower?
  • Inc88Inc88 Explorer
    music said:

The closest thing i know the Buddha saying to support this is something along the lines of the more you follow the Dhamma and the further down the path you get the more you realize how unnecessary rituals are (something Tibetans do a lot of) and from what I've read i don't think the Buddha or his Bhikkhus used mantras at all

Don't get me wrong i like Tibetan Buddhism, its whats 1st started me off i even own malas but it seems a far departure from the Buddhas way
    edited December 2012
    music said:

Don't get me wrong i like Tibetan Buddhism, its whats 1st started me off i even own malas but it seems a far departure from the Buddhas way

my thoughts exactly, it's sort of kind of what started me off as well, I had malas, did the 108 mantra recetations, prayer flags, my own little prayer wheel all of that.. it sits collecting dust on my "cultural" shelf with other items from various cultures.

I actually don't even use an altar anymore.... it is technically still there, but I never meditate in front of it or light incense or anything like that.

the one thing I do though, is try to never down anyone for these practices.. if it helps them and is beneficial to the practice then that is good.

more and more the only reminders I need of the buddha, impermanence, and the like, is in the present moment when I am mindful, not in any physical item or the importance put on it by the mind. I feel that I am venerating and honoring the Buddha in the way he said.. by practice.
    Inc88caz
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2012
    The rituals are in the context of a sangha with a realized guru. They are used to share energy with each other and the guru. Samaya. This is how it feels to me; I haven't heard or read it. In my sangha people do a full moon feast (some people) and they talk with one person in the circle for 30 minutes. The feast is a manifestation of the minds. Why does a guest bring a gift? Isn't it a good sharing? One lama said that if people knew how precious sharing was to the spiritual life, and joyful, they would never miss an opportunity.
    BonsaiDoug
  • Cundi mantra is in the sutras . . .
    http://www.sutrasmantras.info/sutra02.html
    Tried it . . . did not work for me . . .
    Given twenty years I could probably make it work . . . as it does work for many people . . .
    Jeffrey said:

[…] One lama said that if people knew how precious sharing was to the spiritual life, and joyful, they would never miss an opportunity.

Most excellent!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    music said:

@music:
    What rubbish.
    Yet again.
    Reference, link and quote please.

Thanks.

• Namu Myo Ho Ren Ge Kyo

I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself. :)
    There's no rules, say one syllable... say the whole thing. Say it once, say it a gajillion times... or just hear someone else say it and think "that's cool"...

It's the title of the Lotus Sutra, and the simplest practice of Nichiren-Shu.

I can't remember who brought up the english vs. forgin mantras... but in my practice I find it less distracting to chant in Shindoku because when I chant in English I'm thinking about the meaning of what I'm chanting, which is not a bad thing, it's just a different type of meditation at that point.
    music said:

@Music Why would he be? There's nothing Immoral or Shameful about reciting a chant that our meditation practice can benefit from, quite the opposite.
  • music said:

@Music Why would he be? There's nothing Immoral or Shameful about reciting a chant that our meditation practice can benefit from, quite the opposite.
    The Buddha believed that even the gods are subject to samsara (cycle of birth and death), and unable to help us out. But if you believe in using mantras for calming the mind, then more power to you - even chanting coca-cola may help. It is all about repetition, not what you repeat. Repetition calms the mind, so the mantra could be just about anything.
  • OM MANI PEME CO CA CHALE :screwy:
    is it the real thing? Sure. Would it work? Yes. Would anyone recommend it to others. Nah!

Om mani peme hum
    Would it work? yes. Would anyone recommend it to others? Sure! :thumbsup:
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited December 2012
    Oh before I forget . . .
    The original sanskrit is OM MANI PADME HUM
    Tibetans have difficulty pronouncing . . . so Hum is sometimes hung
    and padme, peme

I tend to prefer a merger of the best of both
    OM MANI PEME HUM

. . . as sweet as sugared water . . . :clap:
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    My personal favorite is the end of the Heart Sutra. :)

Gate, Gate, Paragate, Para Sam gate Bodhi svaha
    Gate, Gate, Paragate, Para Sam gate Bodhi svaha
    Gate, Gate, Paragate, Para Sam gate Bodhisvaha.
    Bodhi Svaha

English:
    Gone, Gone, Gone beyond Gone utterly beyond
    Oh what an Awakening

*The five skandas are the five components of any individual: body, perceptions, feelings, mental formations and consciousness.)

"Gate" means gone. Gone from suffering to the liberation of suffering. Gone from forgetfulness to mindfulness. Gone from duality into non-duality.

"Gate gate" means gone, gone.

"Paragate" means gone all the way to the other shore. So this mantra is said in a very strong way. Gone, gone, gone all the way over.

In Parasamgate "sam" means everyone, the sangha, the entire community of beings. Everyone gone over to the other shore.

"Bodhi" is the light inside, enlightenment, or awakening. You see it and the vision of reality liberates you.

And "svaha" is a cry of joy or excitement, like "Welcome!" or "Hallelujah!" "Gone, gone, gone all the way over, everyone gone to the other shore, enlightenment, svaha !"
    riverflow