Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

My Altar/Shrine

TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
I have just set up my Buddhist altar that I have got for Christmas from my parents in individual components.

I have placed a Buddha statue in the centre surrounded by seven water offering bowls with a incense holder and Budai/laughing buddha statue to the right of it and to the left of it I have placed mala beads and a piece of paper with the 4 noble truths +eightfold path to represent the Dharma as a substitution for a Dharma book.

Have I set it up right, is there anything that needs adding, retouching or moving or that is incorrect and what offerings can I do aside from the water?
DavetheseekerMaryAnneVastmindJeffrey

Comments

• That is awesome!!!!!!
    To your left should be the Dharma and the representation of the Sangha on your right.

In the instructions for proper water bowl offerings, I've read that the bowls are to be placed in a straight line with a distance of the width of a grain of rice between them.
    Also the bowls are filled evenly and almost to the top and at the front of the altar/shrine in front of the Buddha. I try to center mine, but I'm not sure if that's just me or?????
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Ah excellent ! :)
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited December 2012
    There is no correct or incorrect way to set up a Buddhist alter. An alter is the symbology of whatever teaching you wish it to be. You can copy the alter setup that your teacher or Sangha follows or create whatever one best reminds you of the teaching that is important to you.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    The only thing a Thai would say is that the Buddha should be up high...like on the top of a dresser, or something like that. But that's just symbology.
  • Always make sure the Buddha is present. That would be you. You give the altar the ability to alter. This is an outer expression of your inner nature. It is part of some tantra to mindfully change the contents of the water and to do prostrations and chanting before the image. :)
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited December 2012
    Remember....symbols/physical forms are just there to remind
    your eyeballs. It has to go from the eyeballs to the brain. To the
    brain...to the mind. When the mind gets reminded then
    motivation and behavior gets reminded.
    Put there what you need to be reminded of.
    That's what all the repeating is about.

Mine has changed a million times because
    depending on what's going on in my life, I
    need different reminders. haha

Thanks for sharing the pic. :)
    lobster
  • I like how the buddha has his bowls arrayed in front of him. What about putting a ribbon around the paper to the right? It might add some color...

For offerings you can do anything. If you have dogs or cats don't put anything they like or they might become conditioned to go in your shrine and that's very bad if you are burning a candle.

Things I have put as offering:

nuts, vegetables, fruits
    halloween candy
    flowers, fake and real
    a fluffy bunny guy from easter
    TheEccentric
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    Update: I have arranged the offering bowls in a straight line in the traditional way.
    caz
  • Wonderful. Thanks for the update. My two shrines are getting a little cluttered. Will have to prune soon . . .
  • edited December 2012
    I'm still waiting for the perfect alter table to find me. I'm currently using a cardboard box covered with a sheet. Perfect for now.
    @theeccentric on my alter I have also placed a bell (singing bowl) and a small light.
    BTW it looks like we use the same Buddha
    TheEccentric
  • I don't have room for an altar. I pretty much just arranged some buddha and bodhisattva pictures in the wall in front of my cushion.
  • @Takuan sounds great to me . . . this morning I visualised a whole temple around me. Real?

Real enough.
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    Takuan said:

I don't have room for an altar. I pretty much just arranged some buddha and bodhisattva pictures in the wall in front of my cushion.

it's ok... you don't NEED an altar to begin with :)
    vinlyn
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited December 2012

It is good to be mindful of not becoming attached to rite and ritual. We all suffer that one from time to time.
    While altars and all Buddhist iconography point out the path to the cessation of suffering, the walking of it is your job.
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    Lol I just realised I have being spelling alter incorrect all this time, epic fail