Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Helping others

Dedicating your time and energy to helping others is a great attribute of a Buddhist. I work in an FE college helping those who have special educational needs to complete their work, volunteering in a local cub scout pack and i am also currently learning BSL. I was just wondering what sort of activities you do to help others and to see whether i could incorporate them into my daily life.

Many Thanks

Comments

• ToshTosh Veteran
    I help drunks. I make coffee at A.A. meetings, help with other group functions, give drunks lifts to meetings and take them back home, phone them, answer the phone from them, and guide them through the 12 Steps.

I don't always want to do this stuff, but I do it anyway; and at other times it's so rewarding I couldn't put it into words. During a meditation on my own death, it's this 'work' I do that came to mind as being one of the most meaningful things I've ever done/do.

One thing I've learnt is I have to have some balance; I've at times done too much and ended up resentful over it; even angry at other A.A. members who I felt weren't pulling their weight (or the weight I'd like them to pull).

I've learnt from that though; I need time to myself - to do selfish things (like witter my rubbish on this forum), but I can do this with the intention that if I'm to be fit and able to help others, I need time to relax also. So I can relax with an unselfish intention. Does that make sense?
    Wisdom23
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    I try, sometimes without much success, to clarify the matter of "self" and "others."
    lobster
  • Tosh said:

I help drunks. I make coffee at A.A. meetings, help with other group functions, give drunks lifts to meetings and take them back home, phone them, answer the phone from them, and guide them through the 12 Steps.

I don't always want to do this stuff, but I do it anyway; and at other times it's so rewarding I couldn't put it into words. During a meditation on my own death, it's this 'work' I do that came to mind as being one of the most meaningful things I've ever done/do.

One thing I've learnt is I have to have some balance; I've at times done too much and ended up resentful over it; even angry at other A.A. members who I felt weren't pulling their weight (or the weight I'd like them to pull).

I've learnt from that though; I need time to myself - to do selfish things (like witter my rubbish on this forum), but I can do this with the intention that if I'm to be fit and able to help others, I need time to relax also. So I can relax with an unselfish intention. Does that make sense?

perfect sense lol i too take time out for myself. i like reading and i am a bit of a quizzer (well i try) i am actually surprised how much of the stuff i do in my free time i bring into my work, working with teenagers you need to i think lol

Many Thanks
  • Wisdom23, what is BSL
  • @Tosh, my teacher says that is 'taking care of the center of your mandala'. It's great all the extent the mandala can reach but if the stress at the center is not taken care of it is to the downfall of the whole activity of the 'helping' part of the mandala.
    ToshlobsterWisdom23
  • I will become a Buddha in 2013 for the benefit of myself . . . and if they are lucky . . . everyone else . . . :om:
    Wisdom23
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    I practice metta
    lobsterWisdom23
  • I practice metta
    Bravo. :clap:
    I read somewhere that the Bodhisattvas vow entails enlightening every last blade of grass. Back to the small wheel for me. I in my delusional state, know there is an awful lot of grass about . . . :)
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Guessing BSL=British Sign Language

I help people whenever it presents. At the clinic today I helped an old man get over to the receptionist. We do volunteer with and donate to various causes but the spontaneous ones seem to be the most helpful.
    sovaWisdom23
  • Jeffrey said:

Wisdom23, what is BSL

BSL stands for British Sign Language lol

• I help myself. But no, I am not selfish at all.