Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Theravada Audio Downloads

In this vast subject that is Buddhism it's very east to get lost or follow the wrong path and in the absence of local support I find myself relying on you guys for advice.

I'm looking for some advice on useful audio downloads for a beginner. It's very tempting just to go to the sites with the biggest selection or download the complete lectures of HHDL but they may all be completely inappropriate.

Comments

• jll said:
    This is what I mean though, there are up to 10,000 talks via that site with no organisation or proper search facility and as patient as I am it will not be possible for me to go through those in a number of lifetimes.

I was hoping to take some advice from somebody who may be further down a similar path to the one I am trying to walk.

• I'm just looking for some guidance I can listen to while I'm down the gym or driving to work.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2013
    There is no certain order you need to take information in. Nobody hears all the talks or reads all the commentaries.

You might find a dharma talk that really does it for you and you can listen several times a year.
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Dhammaseed is the best place for audio dhamma talks.. although in all honesty I never listen to just audio talks.. I have to have a video as most of the time I am sitting to listen, not doing other things. On my youtube channel I've put the hundreds of videos I've watched into playlists by the monastic doing the talk and some by topic etc. it is important to have that organization.

also I agree with Jeffery in that there is no certain order.. choose what interests you and go with it. Like you said there is no possible way in many lifetimes that we could listen to all the dhamma talks available.

EDIT: Btw if you are truely a beginner.. I highly suggest Bhikkhu bodhi's 10 part series " the buddha's teaching as it is. 10 hours of audio covering a large variety of basic buddhist topics - http://www.buddhanet.net/audio-lectures.htm