Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Night people.

JohnGJohnG Veteran
edited January 2013 in General Banter
So, who else is here that lives the night, and sleeps the day? I've been working mids for my life and could never sleep at night; I tried the day routine, but I don't get along well with administration. Has any one here felt the same way? I'm told that this isn't normal, and I have been refered to as a vampire from time to time. But I find peace during this time, even at work.

Comments

• Naturally I am this way, however when I have duties such as work and before that schooling of some kind, I had to adapt. When I have none of these duties I would normally wake anywhere from 2pm-7pm and sleep anywhere from 5am-midday. I find now that I live in Thailand if I do this I get depressed because the sun rises and sets pretty much at the same time all year round, 6-6. So I end up waking up when it is dark and feel I am wasting my life. I don't live that way now however. Plus sunlight in small doses is good for you, I can recall being more sick when I lived a nocturnal existence.
  • I'm just the opposite now :D. There are times that I have to do things during the day, and I feel run down and sick. I did try a shift change to dayligt, but I had to stay into the shade, that's how bad I blistered; so I was sent back to night.

But, I find more peace during this time, and the time of meditation is even more peacful at this time; and, for me, easier to get into that frame of consciousness. Has this happened to you?
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    It just works for some people :) I know people like that, and they just love it. I can understand enjoying the peace. I feel that way about our coldest mornings. Everything is so still when it's so cold. I tried working nights and I hated it so much I had to quit my job. I haven't gone back to work yet, lol, that was almost 4 years ago. It was very lonely for me to leave my kids and husband and go to work. I would cry when I left every day for months. I didn't like feeling so disconnected. Our baby had to go to daycare so I could sleep during the day. So I'd work 8:30pm to 5am. Get home, get the kids off the school, go to bed, and wake up when they got home, do dinner and that was it. I never got to spend time with them and I hated it. But a lot of the people I worked with had been on nights for a long time and absolutely loved it.
  • If I had no job I would be nocturnal again I expect. The only thing are the soi dogs in Thailand, at night they are everywhere and sometimes get really angry. I have nearly been attacked a few times but now I have my own bike so I don't have to stroll around with a knife at night.
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    There is actually a name for this affliction @JohnG but I can't think what it is? I worked with a girl in an office recently who "suffered" from it. She wouldn't come into work until midday each day and it was accepted for medical reasons.
  • Well hopefully it isn't vampireism. :D
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    I don't believe that we are "set" in any one cycle or another. My whole life until recently I considered myself a "night person", I stayed up late(in college it use to be 4am, later on dropped to about 1am) and had fun with friends or played video games. I got into watching late night tv like "adult swim".

now you are talking to someone who goes to bed at 11 (well sometimes closer to 12 because I read) and wakes up at 6am every day. This change happened when I went to my first retreats and realized the benefits of waking up early and going to bed early. I use to feel that if I didn't stay up late I was "losing out" on "me time".. but in reality I have the same amount of time, just placed differently... we all do :P.

I think we are adaptable creatures that can set our own cycles depending on our needs and schedule. To further study that look at astronauts or people who live at the poles with no daily consistent day/night cycle.
    JohnG
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    *Moved to 'General Banter'*
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    People who live at the poles though simulate night and day normalcy as much as they can. They have room darkening shades and blinds in their homes oftentimes.
    I agree we are highly adaptable, but what works for one person doesn't always work for another. Some people just function better in certain states. One person who needs 9 hours of sleep (me) cannot function for more than a day or do on 5 hours of sleep, while plenty of people get 5 hours of sleep every day and function fine. I worked the overnight shift from March until September, and while it got easier after a couple of weeks as far as the sleep schedule, I never adjusted to it and it just wasn't going to work for me. But I also spent plenty of time when I was younger, and even as recently as 5 years ago, staying up until 3am doing various activities. It's not the same as a lifestyle that revolves around an actual schedule that requires you to live a life not in sync with everyone else.
  • My schedual is in bed by 1100 am, awake by 2030 hrs. Got black out shades and all, :D