Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Solitary Buddhists

TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
For me it is impossible to go to a sangha because there are none that I know of for any whre near me which makes things difficult as I am new to Buddhism and have to rely on the internet and books for guidance. So Is anyone else here a solitary Buddhist with no Sangha, Is it even acceptable to one considering that The Sangha is one of the three jewels?

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    The entire Buddhist community is part of your Sangha, including online :)
    BhikkhuJayasaraBrianRenataWisdom23
  • There are various forms of sangha. External, virtual and internal. Your internal sangha is composed of the good teachings you have read or been inspired by. My internal sangha is composed of yidams, boddhisattvahs, teachers and teachings from Buddhism, life and other sources. :thumbsup:
    BhikkhuJayasaraTheEccentricWisdom23
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran

For me it is impossible to go to a sangha because there are none that I know of for any whre near me which makes things difficult as I am new to Buddhism and have to rely on the internet and books for guidance. So Is anyone else here a solitary Buddhist with no Sangha, Is it even acceptable to one considering that The Sangha is one of the three jewels?

I am the only Buddhist I know in my daily life. The only sangha I belong to that i can be a part of on a daily basis is the Buddha Center on Second Life.

Other then that once every other month i drive the five hours to Bhavana Society for a 4 day weekend or retreat.

I personally like practicing on a regular basis on my own and also having a sangha there occasionally when I need them. I technically wasn't a new Buddhist by the time I found Bhavana. if there is no sangha by you then you can rely on books and the internet.
  • I believe there are teachers who will reach out to you via skype/e-mail.

I don't have a list however. My teacher, Shenpen Hookham, has a course during the time you take it you may e-mail her. Not to derail the thread into the evils of $ + Buddhism, but the course requires a fee, but you can talk to them about your financial situation.
    Deepankar
    Dakini said:

We are your sangha, OP. :)

I dunno about this Sangha there are some weird birds here :P lol
    VastmindBrianlobster
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    I recently changed the buddhist tradition I followed therefore no longer go to classes and now practice on my own.

In some ways I actually find it easier.

I consider newbuddhist.com my sangha!! :D
    BrianDeepankarlobster
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    I consider this site my Sangha!
    DeepankarlobsterTheEccentric
  • Jayantha said:

No different to most communities . . .
    :wave:
    Only hang out with and listen to the wise sangha members. I spend all my time trying to avoid the delusional, crazy Lobster who insists on trying to fly . . .
    TheEccentricBrian
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Jayantha said:

Dakini said:

Is that really so different from bricks-and-mortar sanghas? It's good practice in compassion and getting along. We can learn from each other.

Brian
    lobster said:

Jayantha said:

No different to most communities . . .
    :wave:
    Only hang out with and listen to the wise sangha members. I spend all my time trying to avoid the delusional, crazy Lobster who insists on trying to fly . . .
    Dakini said:

Jayantha said:

Dakini said:

Is that really so different from bricks-and-mortar sanghas? It's good practice in compassion and getting along. We can learn from each other.

LOL... ah the internet is so hard to bring across humor sometimes. I was just having a little fun :) and yes any group of humans will have a few "weird birds" in there.. those are often the people I like most haha.
  • I agree with others- we are your sangha :) But I know what you mean, since I am currently also a 'solitary ' Buddhist. And I think this is perfectly okay for a simple practice, learning about Buddhism, and developing mindfulness (no one else can do that for you!). However, if I ever get to the point where I need to delve deeply into the scriptures, I will want a teacher I can trust who knows what they are talking about. But that's just me. Hope this helps.

Also: Thanks @Glow for your excerpt from the Dhammapada - this was helpful!
    TheEccentric
  • I've been practicing the dharma - for about four years now - without any face-to-face contact with other buddhists, let alone a buddhist teacher. Books and on-line forums, used wisely, help a lot on our path. I suppose we will meet a teacher when the time is right. Wish you well in your practice. Metta.
    RenataTheEccentricBunkslobster
  • For me it is impossible to go to a sangha because there are none that I know of for any whre near me which makes things difficult as I am new to Buddhism and have to rely on the internet and books for guidance. So Is anyone else here a solitary Buddhist with no Sangha, Is it even acceptable to one considering that The Sangha is one of the three jewels?

We are all very solitary if you come to think of it. Who, for instance, can delve into your thoughts?
    Jeffrey
  • The rhino practitioner has the right attitude
    http://www.hermitary.com/solitude/rhinoceros.html

Information does not require personal sangha. Examples of mindfulness, expressions of the 8 fold path, personal guidance may well do. We do what we can, when we can. Study and practice.

Heedless people go on world dharma circuits. Attending the most profound teachings. I have met them and do my best to avoid them (yep I am a dharma snob). They remain ignorant and heedless because they think attendance leads to assimulation. There are sincere and authentic people who attain, because they do not practice or act the part but exemplify what they know to be right. Be a real person and the teacher or Mr Rhino will come to you . . .

Vastmind
  • blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Buddhadhammasangha.com this guy explains essential parts to buddhas teaching Their 45 min lectures