Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Great Free Books

novaw0lfnovaw0lf Veteran
edited January 2013 in Arts & Writings
Thanks to the evolution of technology, there are a myriad of classic books available to the public for absolutely free.

When I used to live in America, I basically turned where I lived into my own personal library. image

(This isn't my actual home, lol! I WISH! But it was kinda like that)

To me, personally, there's nothing like the feel of a good book, but ever since I moved to China, I've had to adapt to electronic versions of books, because it would cost an arm and a leg to have English versions sent here. I may speak and read intermediate Chinese, but there's nothing like reading a good book in your native language; there's something about the comprehension that cannot be substituted.

I had installed the Kindle app for my computer from Amazon years ago, but always took it for granted because I never had a need for it, until now. Everything's totally free, and I was just amazed at the selection of books that are available totally for free. Anything classic and in public domain.

Dude, I'm talkin': Shakespeare, Voltaire, Dante, Aristotle, Musashi, Sun Tzu, Marx and Lenin, Plato, Socrates, Tolstoy, Chekhov, Confucius, Nietzsche, Schopenhauer, Homer, Machiavelli, Emperor Marcus Aurelius, Xianzu Tang, Jane Austin, Victor Hugo, "Beowulf" (no known originating author), Inazo Nitobe, etc.

You name it. It's all for free. A world of knowledge at our fingertips. Classics that have shaped the contemporary age as we know it. I just wanted to share this with you all, because I myself had long took it for granted. I've read most of these books already, but I burned a ton of money getting the respective paperbacks/hardbacks. Even though I think there's nothing like having a tangible version, the information is what truly matters.

I've been reclaiming a lot of my old collection and even gaining some new ones. Anyone looking to read, I HIGHLY recommend that you guys check it out. Don't take this for granted like I did. The past few days have been wonderful.
lobsterZerofootiam

Comments

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    That is so pretty!:)
    novaw0lf said:

Thanks to the evolution of technology, there are a myriad of classic books available to the public for absolutely free.

When I used to live in America, I basically turned where I lived into my own personal library. image

(This isn't my actual home, lol! I WISH! But it was kinda like that)

To me, personally, there's nothing like the feel of a good book, but ever since I moved to China, I've had to adapt to electronic versions of books, because it would cost an arm and a leg to have English versions sent here. I may speak and read intermediate Chinese, but there's nothing like reading a good book in your native language; there's something about the comprehension that cannot be substituted.

I had installed the Kindle app for my computer from Amazon.com years ago, but always took it for granted because I never had a need for it, until now. Everything's totally free, and I was just amazed at the selection of books that are available totally for free. Anything classic and in public domain.

Dude, I'm talkin': Shakespeare, Voltaire, Dante, Aristotle, Musashi, Sun Tzu, Marx and Lenin, Plato, Socrates, Tolstoy, Chekhov, Confucius, Nietzsche, Schopenhauer, Homer, Machiavelli, Emperor Marcus Aurelius, Xianzu Tang, Jane Austin, Victor Hugo, "Beowulf" (no known originating author), Inazo Nitobe, etc.

You name it. It's all for free. A world of knowledge at our fingertips. Classics that have shaped the contemporary age as we know it. I just wanted to share this with you all, because I myself had long took it for granted. I've read most of these books already, but I burned a ton of money getting the respective paperbacks/hardbacks. Even though I think there's nothing like having a tangible version, the information is what truly matters.

I've been reclaiming a lot of my old collection and even gaining some new ones. Anyone looking to read, I HIGHLY recommend that you guys check it out. Don't take this for granted like I did. The past few days have been wonderful.

Thank you so much! How do I get to the free books? I got the Kindle App for my laptop, but not sure how to access it? or where to find it? Thanks!

• All you have to do is go to Amazon.com and type in the title of a book that you think is old and in public domain. You'll get a list of choices (as expected) but not in the price order (deliberately, I assume lol...I'm sure Amazon doesn't want to focus on the free books).

When you type in the name of a classic author, select the organization for "Price from low to highest." You'll see e-books for $0.00. When you try to buy it, if you don't have the kindle app for your computer (or cell phone, or ipod, whatever), Amazon will prompt you to download and install.

Download, install, and have fun reading all the free classic books on the internet. :)
    DaltheJigsawlobsterInvincible_summer
    novaw0lf said:

All you have to do is go to Amazon.com and type in the title of a book that you think is old and in public domain. You'll get a list of choices (as expected) but not in the price order (deliberately, I assume lol...I'm sure Amazon doesn't want to focus on the free books).

When you type in the name of a classic author, select the organization for "Price from low to highest." You'll see e-books for $0.00. When you try to buy it, if you don't have the kindle app for your computer (or cell phone, or ipod, whatever), Amazon will prompt you to download and install.

Download, install, and have fun reading all the free classic books on the internet. :)

Thank you so much!:)
    novaw0lf
  • 我很高兴我可以帮你。I'm glad that I could help you.
  • @leonbasin

Here's a perfect example.
  • novaw0lfnovaw0lf Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Here's another: The Complete Sherlock Holmes Collection

Completely free legal direct download.
  • ZenBadgerZenBadger Derbyshire, UK Veteran
    A lot of Lama Yeshe's books are available for .99c as well (76p from Amazon.co.uk).
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    Calibre also does the same thing... but better! You type in a title, and it searches many different book sites, including ones that Kindle/Amazon doesn't.
    Often I find books for free on the Calibre search, that Amazon/Kindle are charging money for.
    novaw0lflobster
    novaw0lf said:

@leonbasin

Here's a perfect example.

Thank You so much!!
  • DobsDobs Maine, USA Explorer
    40,000 books that are no longer under copyright can be found here:

http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/

Metta
    DaltheJigsawnovaw0lf
    Thank you! http://www.manybooks.net was another one...
    I also just found http://www.thefreelibrary.com/