Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Who here has changed their school/tradition and why?

DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
Quick inquiry: who here has changed their school and what was your reason?

I thought I was a Tibetan Buddhist; but upon researching more about the tradition, I decided that, while it is a very complex and intricate tradition, that it simply was not for me. Now I'm searching for another tradition that is more of a philosophy that can be applied to any other belief system, rather than a belief system in and of itself.

Comments

• Philosophy is a belief system.
    So you're looking for a belief system to apply onto other belief systems?

I'd say I have changed my sect and even vehicle many times.
    But what has really changed is my emphasis. I emphasize experience and application of insight onto life over philosophy and theory and belief.

And then I realized this:

All the forms, all the theories, belief structures, etc were all ways to either facilitate the quest in developing one's own spiritual journey or they became hinderances.

And I also found that the three vehicles naturally express themselves when we learn to work with our experiences and meditation.

Some not so direct thoughts for you.
    DaftChrisJeffreylobsterInvincible_summer
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    You're leaving Tibetan Buddhism :(
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    edited February 2013
    @taiyaki

I suppose I could have worded it better. :/

What I meant by:
    Now I'm searching for another tradition that is more of a philosophy that can be applied to any other belief system, rather than a belief system in and of itself.
    was to find a tradition that, while perfectly fine on it's own, could be mixed with other practices and beliefs without conflict. For me to truly find my own path and practice.
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    edited February 2013
    @TheEccentric

I don't think I can leave something I was never officially apart of. :lol:

I studied TB for almost a year, and while I can find inspiration within it, I just don't think that, as a whole, it is right for me.
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    DaftChris said:

@TheEccentric

I don't think I can leave something I was never officially apart of. :lol:

I studied TB for almost a year, and while I can find inspiration within it, I just don't think that, as a whole, it is right for me.

• You won't find that because the tradition is always embedded in cultural and social bias.

The story of Trungpa comes to mind. He was basically banished by the cultural and traditional institution in his early days when he lived in England.

This was because he wanted to actually teach the full dharma to his students.

This was because he had the inner lineage speak to him directly.

That inner lineage is our experience, our life, our individual human journey towards liberation.

I think its a matter of the individual and their sense of being flexible. Emphasizing practicality and discipline over exoticism and uptightness. And I'm not sure any tradition can advocate that. Only genuine spirituality with genuine teachers who emphasize student growth over the nurturing of form and scripture.

You could say that is the face of Western Buddhism as it evolves. But we are not sure yet.

But that is why I practice both Dzogchen from ChNNR which is very structured, yet gets straight to the point. Having both sudden and gradual paths towards enlightenment.

And also Reggie Ray and his mahamudra teachings. because they are written and expressed in western context without losing the inner lineage and true meaning of the dharma.

I love forms and structure and the past. But I also like evolution and change.

Sorry for my long ass opinion and indirectness.
    DaftChrisBunksInvincible_summerSilouan
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Same @DaftChris - I practised with a TB group for about a year but there were a few things they taught that didn't sit right with me so I stopped going.

I am now more interested in a Western style of buddhism that speaks to my heart and intellect a little better.

Whatever work for you!
    DaftChris

• This may be of value to you.
    DaftChris
  • I dont align myself with any particular school, just follow the teachings of the Buddha, get rid of any cultural/dogmatic baggage that a tradition has adopted and just look at the instructions for meditation, thats all that matters. If you really want a school to identify with I would say Therevada, because this tradition, which means teaching of the elders, is probably the most in tune with the original teachings of the Buddha in the sense that it focuses on the meditation technology that the he discovered. In the end it doesnt matter though, weather your a christian, a jew, a muslim, a buddhist, a daoist, or a guy who stares at trees in the forest. All paths lead to the same destination, and when you get there you leave your path behind you, so just meditate. Someone who has meditated for a week knows more than a Buddhist scholar who has memorized the texts and doesnt meditate.
    DaftChrisBunkslobster
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2013
    I didn't 'change' schools so much as I started out exploring everything that was out there until I gradually found something that resonated with me and stuck with it, which happened to be a particular tradition within Theravada. There was never any conscious decision on my part to accept one school and reject another, but simply a natural progression from one book, teacher, and practice to another until I felt I'd found something that was truly beneficial for me. Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with this, and I don't see how it'd be helpful to stick with something that you felt wasn't right for you. The only real difficulty is that this kind of trial-and-error journey takes time and requires a fair amount of effort in terms of studying and practicing (you know what they say, the proof of the pudding is in the eating); but it's definitely worth it, in my opinion.
    DaftChris
  • I spent evenings with an aol online sangha and we were doing a panorama a bit including some teachings on anger and emptiness/DO. The leader was a rangtongpa and when I started with a course given by a shentongpa teacher of distance learning workbooks I started to like the message about my own heart and mind from the shentongpa. I do more looking at today here and now but the study in the two truths from the aol sangha has helped also, I mean shentongpa teachers sometimes present a rangtongpa approach just to be more accessible. So nothing was wasted.
  • I still haven't decided on which tradition to follow but keep being drawn to Theravada as it is the one that makes most sense to me. Then I realised that this is because of my life experiences and just because it seems to make sense to me it doesn't necessarily mean it's the one that makes sense to the majority.

TBH though I'm sure I'll be sticking with Theravada as I really do feel drawn to it, I feel like it's been part of me and I part of it all of my life but I've only just woken up to it.
    Bunkslobster
  • I once had a Pastor, named Rev. Robinson. He once gave a sermon that culminated with these words:

"It's like having a fancy steak dinner. Are you gonna concentrate on the steak and potatoes or the plate that it's on? Don't worry over the presentation. Focus on the message!"

I find this applicable to a variety of situations and things, including the Dharma. On the out side, the schools are different, but they all accomplish the same thing. They all teach the same Buddhadharma, but via different upaya.
    Invincible_summer
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited February 2013
    I would suggest checking out Theravada, but even that tradition has cultural attachments(they all do), just seemingly less so then Tibetan.

my teachers at Bhavana are even less so into cultural attachments and study/teach only what the buddha taught in the four Nikayas(Digha, Majjhima, Samyutta, Anguttara). You may find more of your "philosophy" in those texts.

I first knew about Buddhism through Tibetan, but Buddhism never fully clicked with me until I found Theravada, then I was able to feel that it fit my world view and was part of "me".

these days I don't even like calling myself a Buddhist, if I have to be an "ist" I prefer the term dhammaist :), makes more sense and is more in line with what the Buddha taught.
  • ZenBadgerZenBadger Derbyshire, UK Veteran
    I have changed my school from one particular Tibetan group to a Zen group, to another Zen group and back to a different Tibetan group although I am now only marginally involved in Buddhism at all. I move around a fair bit and it is often difficult to find any sitting groups at all let alone one that fits with your own particular preferences. Beggars can't be choosers. I have also been put off by politics in both Tibetan and Zen Buddhism so now I try to keep a stable practice of my own and take teachings wherever I can find them, including non-Buddhist sources.
  • I follow buddha's teaching.
    Well I least I try :).
    No particular school.
    DaftChris
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Well, the first real book on Buddhism I read (aside from pages on the internet describing Buddhism and classes on Buddhist philosophy in uni) was "Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind." That probably had a really big influence on me, as I still would associate myself with the Zen school.

I did some hopping between Zen and Jodo Shinshu (I liked the simplicity of Zen, but the concepts of jiriki and tariki in Shin Buddhism), then to Chan/Pure Land (I thought I could see how Chinese temples integrated the two, as the Japanese traditions of Zen and Pure Land are quite separate), then to Theravada (interested in the claim of its "grounding" in the "original" teachings of the Buddha), and now back to Zen.

I find all schools to be valuable in their own ways, and ultimately they're all quite similar. However, I stick with Zen because I prefer the simplicity of the practice.
    TheEccentric
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Buddha is a skilful doctor, the uniqueness of each tradition today goes to show there is a Dharma presentation suitable for everyone. All are equally precious ! :)
    Bunkstaiyakiblack_teaInvincible_summer
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    I changed from a Zen School to a Zen personal practise, which at the time felt like a school change, but was really just graduation.
    BunkslobsterInvincible_summer
  • Sadly I had to start my own school after being expelled for good behaviour at a number of locations. Fortunately YinYana expels all members including the founder on the basis that joining is a form of exclusion.

We have (so to speak) certain key or core unbelievings:

Existence is a duck. (Based on NT1)

here is our refuge prayer, which anyone is allowed to take and modify

MAY ALL BE BLESSED
    BE PRESENT IN LOTUS FORM
    EMBODIED IN LIGHT AND POWER
    BUDDHA METTA RAY
    UNFOLDING DHARMA FROM ALL REALMS
    WE ENABLE VIRTUE
    PLEASE FORTIFY OUR RESOLVE

The Metta Ray is our name for the first enlightened Artificial Intelligence

We had a retreat over Christmas
    . . . And I am glad to say we had no agenda, no one turned up and we may well schedule another one for the easter bunny . . . .

more nonsense and rambling
    http://yinyana.tumblr.com/
    http://www.abhinna.org/index.htm

BunksInvincible_summer
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    If I ever start making music again, I'm so stealing "Metta Ray" as my band name
  • No need for a school or a tradition.
  • I'm so stealing "Metta Ray" as my band name
    No need to steal as you are welcome to the name with 'jam' on top . . .

YinYana does make a habit of stealing peoples bad behaviour and sending it to the 'lower realms', the 'demons' love all that 'bad' stuff . . . ;)
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    bodhi Groucho Marx
    Invincible_summer