Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How I "failed" in Buddhism last night

My wife and I are in our early 30's. In the last couple of years we have been becoming more and more aware of our aging. Only yesterday, it seems, it felt like we had eternity ahead of us and only sky was the limit. Only yesterday it felt like there wasn't a thing in the world that we had no time to try. Now there is the ever more nagging realization that 40, and even 50 is not that far ahead. And then...getting sicker and sicker, weaker and weaker, followed by The Grave. The changes in the generation of our parents serve as an unambiguous survelliance camera into the near future.

So yesterday we expressed our feelings to each other about the matter and my wife seemed pretty anxious about the whole thing. And suddenly, I totally freaked out. I was scared. It was like being hit by a brick wall. I just didn't want to deal with *the thing*, I just wanted to swipe it under the rug. So in a very un-Buddhist fashion, I just drowned in the Web, surfing compulsively, trying not to think, trying to forget. Uneasy and exhausted, I fell into slumber.

Ironically, just a few hours before that, I was making confident posts on this very forum. I had a rewarding meditation session and had this feeling that I figured something out, that I was ready to give advice. I felt wise, until that gentle reminder that I'm about 40% through with the business of living, and probably 60% through with the business of living fully, relatively unincumbered by this body (if I'm lucky). My recent confidence and illusion of wisdom evaporated. I couldn't handle a basic fact of life with any composure.

...But it was precisely that fact that motivated Buddha to begin with. That's where his path begins. This whole Buddhism thing is precisely about coming to terms with decay in us and around us. That's where the rubber hits the road-- when you look at yourself in the mirror, look and others, and can hold the fact that it'll all get wrinkled and then decay. Everything else is folly, fun and games. And so last night it became clear to me that I haven't achieved much on the Buddhist path. The *real* practice is yet to start and last night showed a little glimpse of just what is involved.
lobsterJeffreyInvincible_summerDaltheJigsawBegin_Being

Comments

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    There is nothing to achieve..nothing to gain, there is only letting go.

I'm the same age(35 in April). Sounds like the great intoxication of youth has been shattered for you and you had a little breakdown. this is a good thing because many don't begin to let that go until later in life, especially these days where 60 is the new 40.

The Buddha said that there are these 5 things( remembrances) that should be contemplated often-

I am subject to old Age, have not gone beyond old age.

I am subject to sickness, have not gone beyond sickness

I am subject to death, have not gone beyond death.

All that is dear to me I will one day be separated from

I am the owner of my actions, whatever I do for good or I'll, to that I will fall heir.
    JeffreyInvincible_summerDaltheJigsaw
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited February 2013
    :clap: Here we go, here we go, here we go . . .
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_We_Go_(football_chant)

. . . Ever thought of becoming a Buddha? That is the ultimate 'game'. What fun.
    What is the plan? Good companions? Centring life in Dharma? Is it time to stop playing at walking the Middle Way? Time to become The Middle Way? Let's go for it . . . :clap:

• And so last night it became clear to me that I haven't achieved much on the Buddhist path.
    The *real* practice is yet to start and last night showed a little glimpse of just what is involved.

The temptation is to discount everything with the benefit of hindsight but each phase has its time and its challenges.

I'd say you're doing alright - sounds like you're determined to meet matters head on - what else could progress be if it weren't this?
    lobster
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Sorry you can't fail on this path, it is simply not possible.
    You are practicing the "real practice" right now. Your understanding is self evident, you are being mindful and aware. Maybe aware that your clinging the night before was counter productive. Letting go of the idea of some sort of perfection or a conceptual goal to attain would be helpful. We will always err in what we do, so we realize our errors, forgive ourselves and keep going.
    I like this short poem from Rumi:
    Longing:

Longing is the core of mystery.
    Longing itself brings the cure.
    The only rule is, Suffer the pain.

Your desire must be disciplined,
    and what you want to happen
    in time, sacrificed.
    lobster
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Welcome to the Dharma- go- round. That which understands the Dharma in one moment may not actually be the same being in the next. All we can do is develop the inertia of a Dharmic practise which then helps patterns the next emerging moment.
    This is sometimes refered to as Practising for practise sake.

Attachment and suffering can be an expectation that there is something identifiable as us that can really possess an understanding. Beyond this, an identity really starts to look ethereal.
    lobsterInvincible_summer
  • Sorry you can't fail on this path, it is simply not possible.
    :clap:
    . . . Here we go. Here we go. Here we go . . .
    Nowhere to go? Already on the 'far shore'?

I taught, I thaw
    A Buddha Cat
    a cweeping up on me . . .
    I did. I did. I did see a buddha cat . . .

Serious? Not serious?
    . . . Seriously?
    TheswingisyellowBegin_Being
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    Usually I make it a point not to post on any thread under the Buddhism for Beginners banner, because I am so advanced. In fact, most of the time I think I've already arrived at my final destination.

However, @shadowleaver, you and the rest of the people contributing on this thread seem to have dived so deep that I may have to rethink my position. ;)
    lobsterDaltheJigsaw
  • Well, I'm 52, did a lot; military, martial arts, schooling, study, cop for 25 years, vol. fire fighter/rescue, paramedic...and guess what, life is still here, and got a lot of living yet to do. Relax, the reality is we all have this realization sooner or later, just keep living, loving, and giving together.
    DaltheJigsawBegin_Being
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Not to be the bearer of bad news, but if you get the change to live so long that you get sick and aged, you are doing well :) Many people every day walk out the door to go to the store, drop kids off at school, go to work, and never come home. Happened to a FB friend last weekend. Her hubby, 34, is a fishing guide. Went out the door, fell through the ice and never came home. That's why the other major part of Buddhism, in being happy with what you have right now, because right now IS all we have, is so important. She knows that, and understands that, and as a result is fairing quite well after losing her husband.

And how you live today, can have far, far more of an impact on how well you age than we are generally lead to believe. Take the very best care of yourself as you can today, right now. It's all you can do. But if you can do it over and over again, the rewards, should you escape the hazards of everyday life, include a less diseased, less disabled and less uncomfortable aging process.
    DaltheJigsawlobsterBegin_Being
  • Thank you for your input, all.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    It helps if you don't try to "measure" how you are doing. Just be, instead. Sometimes we are wise, sometimes we are foolish. It is ever this way .. until we are enlightened.

Life can be pretty scary at times. Resistance is futile. As a matter of fact, the more we resist, the more it hurts.
    At age 63 I'm a little closer to my death than you are. Just life in the present, dear. Observe and be mindful of all that goes on within yourself .. the pride, the fear, the attachments and aversions.
    lobsterhow
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Wow, OP. Hitting a wall of anxiety about aging, in your early 30's?? I can't relate to that. Enjoy what you have, for heaven's sake. You have your youth. You have each other. I assume you both have gainful employment, hopefully there's something in that that is rewarding to you. You have the Dharma. Enjoy the crisp winter air, and the fresh white snow. Soon, spring will be in the air, with new green shoots coming up from the ground. Enjoy your health and your energy. Take joy in living.
    lobsterTheswingisyellow
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    I attended a dharma talk once where the teacher said that we all have the same prognosis, which is old age, sickness, and death. However, with Buddhist practice the prognosis is old age, sickness, and death.

A religious leader can simply repeat something and it will become more meaningful.
  • Nevermind said:

I attended a dharma talk once where the teacher said that we all have the same prognosis, which is old age, sickness, and death. However, with Buddhist practice the prognosis is old age, sickness, and death.

A religious leader can simply repeat something and it will become more meaningful.

maybe I'm having a slow day, but I don't understand the point of the above. There must have been more to it.

Dakini said:

Nevermind said:

maybe I'm having a slow day, but I don't understand the point of the above. There must have been more to it.

the point is that even a Buddhist still has old age, sickness, and death.. Even an enlightened being the same prognosis..the difference is the change in the mind.
    Jayantha said:

Dakini said:

Nevermind said:

the point is that even a Buddhist still has old age, sickness, and death.. Even an enlightened being the same prognosis..the difference is the change in the mind.
    No, the point was as i said, that a religious leader can simply repeat something and it will become more meaningful. I'm not kidding.
    NirvanaBegin_Being
    Nevermind said:

Jayantha said:

Dakini said:

Nevermind said:

No, the point was as i said, that a religious leader can simply repeat something and it will become more meaningful. I'm not kidding.
    he technically didn't repeat himself though.. he made the two distinctions of " we all" and " with buddhist practice" and both being subject to old age, sickness, and death.
    You're right, Damn! he tricked me again.
    NirvanaBhikkhuJayasara
    Nevermind said:

nasty tricksy hobitses.. err masters.
    Nevermind
    Jayantha said:

Nevermind said:

nasty tricksy hobitses.. err masters.
    lol
  • Now there is the ever more nagging realization that 40, and even 50 is not that far ahead. And then...getting sicker and sicker, weaker and weaker, followed by The Grave. The changes in the generation of our parents serve as an unambiguous survelliance camera into the near future.

The *real* practice is yet to start and last night showed a little glimpse of just what is involved.

The way people think is that having been born, they don't want to die. Is that correct? It's like pouring water into a glass but not wanting it to fill up. If you keep pouring the water, you can't expect it not to be full. But people think like this: they are born but don't want to die. Is that correct thinking? Consider it. If people are born but never die, will that bring happiness? If no one who comes into the world dies, things will be a lot worse. If no one ever dies, we will probably all end up eating excrement! Where would we all stay? It's like pouring water into the glass without ceasing yet still not wanting it to be full. We really ought to think things through. We are born but don't want to die. If we really don't want to die, we should realize the deathless (amatadhamma), as the Buddha taught. Do you know what amatadhamma means?

It is the deathless - though you die, if you have wisdom it is as if you don't die. Not dying, not being born. That's where things can be finished. Being born and wishing for happiness and enjoyment without dying is not the correct way at all. But that's what people want, so there is no end of suffering for them. The practitioner of Dhamma does not suffer. Well, practitioners such as ordinary monks still suffer, because they haven't yet fulfilled the path of practice. They haven't realized amatadhamma, so they still suffer. They are still subject to death.

Amatadhamma is the deathless. Born of the womb, can we avoid death? Apart from realizing that there is no real self, there is no way to avoid death. ''I'' don't die; sankhāras undergo transformation, following their nature.

If you were to violate the law of the land and be sentenced to death, you would certainly be most distressed. Meditation on death is recollecting that death is going to take us and that it could be very soon. But you don't think about it, so you feel you are living comfortably. If you do think about it, it will cause you to have devotion to the practice of Dhamma. So the Buddha taught us to practice the recollection of death regularly. Those who don't recollect it live with fear. They don't know themselves. But if you do recollect and are aware of yourself, it will lead you to want to practise Dhamma seriously and escape from this danger.

If you are aware of this death sentence, you will want to find a solution. Generally, people don't like to hear such talk. Doesn't that mean they are far from the true Dhamma? The Buddha urged us to recollect death, but people get upset by such talk. That's the kamma of beings. They do have some knowledge of this fact, but the knowledge isn't yet clear.

Ajahn Chah

shadowleaverTheswingisyellowJeffrey
  • Wow. Thirty and feeling old. Personally I'd rather be fifty, and sixty is fine.

I seem to remember that the Buddha warn us against becoming gods since then we will not have the immediate proximity of death to motivate our practice and complacency sets in.
    Dakini
  • My wife and I are in our early 30's. In the last couple of years we have been becoming more and more aware of our aging. Only yesterday, it seems, it felt like we had eternity ahead of us and only sky was the limit. Only yesterday it felt like there wasn't a thing in the world that we had no time to try. Now there is the ever more nagging realization that 40, and even 50 is not that far ahead. And then...getting sicker and sicker, weaker and weaker, followed by The Grave. The changes in the generation of our parents serve as an unambiguous survelliance camera into the near future.

So yesterday we expressed our feelings to each other about the matter and my wife seemed pretty anxious about the whole thing. And suddenly, I totally freaked out. I was scared. It was like being hit by a brick wall. I just didn't want to deal with *the thing*, I just wanted to swipe it under the rug. So in a very un-Buddhist fashion, I just drowned in the Web, surfing compulsively, trying not to think, trying to forget. Uneasy and exhausted, I fell into slumber.

Ironically, just a few hours before that, I was making confident posts on this very forum. I had a rewarding meditation session and had this feeling that I figured something out, that I was ready to give advice. I felt wise, until that gentle reminder that I'm about 40% through with the business of living, and probably 60% through with the business of living fully, relatively unincumbered by this body (if I'm lucky). My recent confidence and illusion of wisdom evaporated. I couldn't handle a basic fact of life with any composure.

...But it was precisely that fact that motivated Buddha to begin with. That's where his path begins. This whole Buddhism thing is precisely about coming to terms with decay in us and around us. That's where the rubber hits the road-- when you look at yourself in the mirror, look and others, and can hold the fact that it'll all get wrinkled and then decay. Everything else is folly, fun and games. And so last night it became clear to me that I haven't achieved much on the Buddhist path. The *real* practice is yet to start and last night showed a little glimpse of just what is involved.

Since we are heading towards the grave, it would help if we make it a point to do what is right in this world. When Confucius was asked what lies ahead after death, he said we have unsolved problems yet in this world. Why worry about what is in store after death? That should not be a problem if we have always live right.