Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Commons vote in favour of same-sex marriage

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21347719

Doesn't mean it will become law in England and Wales but it is a step in the right direction.

I tried to find a previous thread on same sex marriage to add to that but no cigar so thought I'd put it here for those interested.
karastiDaftChrisBrianzombiegirlBhanteLuckyVastmindCraig86Jasonchela

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    :rockon: :clap: :thumbsup: :rocker:

Oh, dead against it meself...... :p
    Zerozombiegirl
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Good news unfortunately my MP did not...shameful.
    sharonsawstavros388
  • caz said:

I guess they have to vote in line with what they believe the majority of their constituents want...

All onto the Lords now... I'll update here if I read more on it.

Link to Hansard debate yesterday (also available on internet on BBC website somewhere - likely in iplayer section):

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201213/cmhansrd/cm130205/debindx/130205-x.htm

Lords debate will eventually be available here:

http://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/hansard/
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    I still for the life of me cannot understand governments pre-occupation with whom you date or marry. What a controlling group we humans are.
    sharonsaw
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    It's not Government, necessarily. It's Law. And Laws need to be changed/updated from time to time, and the channel for that is through Government.
    Nirvana
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    caz said:

I think shameful is overstating it. Aren't good people allowed to have dissenting viewpoints?

Nirvana
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited February 2013
    caz said:

Good news; unfortunately my MP did not...shameful.

Can't help but agree with @vinlyn here. I mean, this whole issue of same-sex marriage is so out-there in comparison to the way people thought twenty years ago. It's kinda like a new heaven opening on a new earth, really. Who would have thunk it???: —that the question of same-sex marriage would be entertained seriously twenty years hence in 1993 (or 30 yrs hence in 1983)?

Being over 50 meself, I am still amazed by this radical departure from traditional societal values.

Lest I be misunderstood here, let me be quick to add that I believe that any unconventional act of kindness or of love that is not ego-centered helps raise the spiritual consciousness of ones milieu and therefore might possibly awaken people from spiritual slumber.

I don't think, BTW, that the Church of England, being established in that country by law, should have any latitude in deciding how it should conduct itself in this matter. Surely, they will have to perform the rites in church, if the parties be members, unless there be lawful barriers in the way.

They are making provisions to exclude religious organisations from being compelled to act against their own scriptural doctrine, should they not wish to.
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited February 2013

I still for the life of me cannot understand governments pre-occupation with whom you date or marry. What a controlling group we humans are.

as a Libertarian we believe that marriage is a contract between two or more persons of any gender and consenting age and therefore the government should have no business in it, either in saying who can and can't enter into the contract, or in determining that married people get tax breaks etc that single people dont, etc. Government should be totally out of it.

also as in the vein of what Federica said with the joke above.. Ajahn Brahm always talks about how silly it is to be married lol.. One of my favorite quotes is " If love is blind.. then what is marriage but an institution for the blind" :)
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    To me personally, gay marriage is really important and the lack of this basic right will be affecting my own life in about 6 months. In August, my fiance will be starting her new job and I may be exempt from receiving basic health benefits that heterosexual couples receive just because we're a same-sex couple. To add extra insult to injury, by that time, we will be just a year shy of common law... Once again... had we been heterosexuals...

I could care less about the whole religious side of it, I'd prefer to go the Justice of the Peace route anyways. Who wants to get married by a preacher that doesn't support your union? Lol. At least in the US, where we are supposed to have separation of church and state, that shouldn't even be a consideration.
    Jasonsharonsawchelastavros388
    vinlyn said:

caz said:

I think shameful is overstating it. Aren't good people allowed to have dissenting viewpoints?

Not when it infringes on the Liberty of others.
    federica said:

They are making provisions to exclude religious organisations from being compelled to act against their own scriptural doctrine, should they not wish to.

@federica and everyone else, too: My point is that the Church of England is NOT fundamentally a religious organization with esoteric values, but is the established religion —established by Parliament— and should have no latitude in this matter as do other churches not established by law. They simply cannot have it both ways, to stem from the law and to be above the law at the same time.

caz said:

vinlyn said:

caz said:

You're not allowed to have that opinion. Shame, shame, shame!

Nirvana
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    @Jayantha I am a libertarian too, thanks for the reply :)
    All the best,
    Todd

@Jayantha I am a libertarian too, thanks for the reply :)
    All the best,
    Todd

good to see another Libertarian here :) I've often said that Libertarianism is the political ideology that most closely fits Buddhism. Have you see the buddhist libertarian blog?
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    edited February 2013
    The spirit of the Bill is not to legislate what people must do but rather to allow opportunity to those that want to do it.

I think the same sex marriage 'debate' is a wider issue while the issue of whether the Bill should be law or not seems to be a narrower one.

Its purpose is to allow 'choice' rather than to impose a regime - ironically this is the same spirit of 'choice' that dissenters exercise when they vote against it!

In that purpose at least, the two sides are unified.

vinlyn said:

caz said:

vinlyn said:

caz said:

Fascist ! ;)
  • The governement has so little to do now that the EU runs the country that they have to start messing around with nonsense like this. Oh well. If the institution of marriage has become a little meaningless lately we might as well turn it into a farce. A relation had a fifty year same sex partnership and good for him. But marriage? Good grief.
    edited February 2013
    Yeah, like....! ONLY normal, heterosexual persons should be allowed to have recognized and blessed ceremonially their sentimental feelings towards the one they love! Let anyone who differs from this "gold standard" of human relationships live an isolated and lonely life!

Sorry, Bud, those days are done for.

Yeah, like now with the Eurozone, Europeans no longer have to think morally! They can let people who get paid to travel to Brussels do it for them.
    also don't forget marriages with multiple wives and husbands. I for the life of me can't see why someone would want MULTIPLE wives(or husbands) when one is beyond enough( you really want 5 naggers nagging you?:P).. but to each his own :).
    blu3ree
    caz said:

vinlyn said:

caz said:

vinlyn said:

caz said:

Fascist ! ;)
    Exactly. That's my point.

You want to be a thought police.

Everybody needs a job. Afterall, arguably someone, someday might possibly need thought police and police to police the thought police.

But, back to the OP,
    this gay marriage thing is way over the top
    blows my mind.
    People can be kind
    People can be who they really are.
    It's a better world when we just give in
    and let go.
    If human life has a purpose
    it's to bring joy to others,
    not to withhold its fullness from them.

So if people want to go all the way
    I hope there's nobody gonna interrupt them when they're doing their thing.
    Otherwise it'll just be wasting precious time.

People are entitled to their mistakes, if they truly be mistakes!
    Don't interrupt them with your scolding fingers.
    Just let them learn in their own time.
    Peace, bro!
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    @Nirvana, it's true that the momentum has gathered quite a lot in recent years. But it's been much longer than 20 or 30 years since the fight for equal marriage started. I do believe much of the reason things have swayed so much in the US in more recent years is college. More young people have parents who went to college than ever before, and many of them go to college now. It is mainly through the experience of meeting and knowing and working with people different than you, than most people start to understand "Hey, they are just like me." This is thanks to the bravery of people willing to come out and be themselves in public. To not hide in shame and to let the world know who they are no matter how difficult it is. In college, people are challenged on their beliefs time and time again, which is a good thing. Of course not everyone has to go to college to understand this, but it is helpful especially for people who grew up in small towns with small mindedness at the helm.

My parents are in their late 50s and early 60s. They were never prejudiced, but they lived their entire lives in a town with less than 3000 people. Until my sister announced she was a lesbian, they had never knowingly known a gay person. My best friend, who is like a member of our family from the day he was born, also announced he was gay around the same time. Their first reaction was "well, acting on it is a sin but we still love you." In the past 20 or so years, their views have changed drastically. Being "old" is not a reason to be unaccepting or intolerant. The world changes and you opt to be open to changing with it, or digging in your heels. Both of my parents fought hard so the anti marriage amendments didn't pass in our state, and are highly supportive of marriage equality. I have faith it will come to my state too one day, hopefully soon so I can watch my sister, and my best friend, get married (though not to each other, LOL)

And yes, the states in the US that have passed it always leave allowances so that religious institutions are not forced to perform marriage ceremonies for those who do not meet their requirements.
    vinlyn said:

caz said:

vinlyn said:

caz said:

vinlyn said:

caz said:

Fascist ! ;)
    Exactly. That's my point.

You want to be a thought police.

Why should someone else's opinion Inhibit two people who love each other from getting married and legally recognised as such?. Its fine to have an opinion however it is not fine to discriminate against others in such a profound way just because you don't like their way of being.
    caz said:

Why should someone else's opinion Inhibit two people who love each other from getting married and legally recognised as such?. Its fine to have an opinion however it is not fine to discriminate against others in such a profound way just because you don't like their way of being.

The way you've stated it in this thread, you want to take away people's rights to an opinion. You know, sort of like Hitler and Mussolini and the Russian gulags, and North Korea, and radical Islamists.

vinlyn said:

caz said:

The way you've stated it in this thread, you want to take away people's rights to an opinion. You know, sort of like Hitler and Mussolini and the Russian gulags, and North Korea, and radical Islamists.

Have your opinion so long as it doesn't cross the board to become an action that infringes on others well being.
    ^^ That's a little better. But of course, that's what people who are against legalized abortion also say.
  • federica said:

I heard a divorced Minister say:

"Well, my opinion is that if heterosexuals are entitled to be miserable, then so should they!"

That creased me up!

Saw something similar this week:

"I'm all for this gay marriage stuff, can't way for gay divorces, imagine the drama!"
    stavros388
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    :thumbsup:
    @karasti, well YOU may be aware of these trends, but most people I know never heard about them, say, 15 years ago. Perceptions are perceptions and yours are no more valid than mine.

I used to wonder why in the world any two sane people of the same sex would want to marry, and that was just a few years ago. And, you know, I couldn't tell you whether I thought it was silly or if I just thought these people would be opening themselves up to a lot of ridicule. I actually thought it was a fringe-group idea.

I wasn't being mean and I was quite comfortable with varieties of human sexuality.

It takes laborers in the field, pathfinders, and precedent to bring about culture change such as this. Most people, I believe, don't see the railroad tracks for the train, and when it shows up early it takes them some time to get their act together.

As for religious bodies in the United States, I have nothing to say at present. My stance on the Church of England, though, is that it must marry same-sex members in good standing if Parliament makes it the Law of the land --for reasons I have stated above. But my position is a political one, not a religious one. If Parliament would disestablish the Church of England) which I certainly do not advocate) 'twould be another story.

In the further advancement of human rights, I think this is the only path the Anglican Church should and could take. Let the crazies in places like South Carolina (where I live) do whatever griping they will; they've already pulled out, claiming to be the True Church, precisely over this very issue.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    @vinlyn I'm a little confused why you object so much to the word 'shame' in this thread. Unless I've misunderstood something, it doesn't seem offensive or controlling to me. I think people WILL look back and be ashamed that their views were once anti-gay, much like I assume people look back on those who were once anti-interracial marriage. I was raised in a small country town and I was very anti-gay as well at one point in my life, and I do look back with shame, obviously...

It makes me think of what Hillary Clinton said when she spoke to the UN, arguing that gay rights should be human rights... What really stuck with me is when she said, "Be on the right side of history." Because almost everyone can see this trend now... one day this won't be such a big deal.
    Vastmindkarasti
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    My Mom passed away a couple of weeks ago.
    A number of years ago, her own Anglican church after much gnashing of teeth split into two separate congregations over this issue. Long standing friendships were ended and the building sold.
    When I asked my mom how the gay members of her congregation felt about all of this she said, " Oh, we haven't anyone in the congregation who is gay".
    When I asked her "why the schism then", she said the topic just made everyone too uncomfortable and comfort is why they attended.

She finished it by saying that that type of comfort is just for fools too fearful to face themselves or God..
    She might of had something there.

blu3ree

@vinlyn I'm a little confused why you object so much to the word 'shame' in this thread. Unless I've misunderstood something, it doesn't seem offensive or controlling to me. I think people WILL look back and be ashamed that their views were once anti-gay, much like I assume people look back on those who were once anti-interracial marriage. I was raised in a small country town and I was very anti-gay as well at one point in my life, and I do look back with shame, obviously...

It makes me think of what Hillary Clinton said when she spoke to the UN, arguing that gay rights should be human rights... What really stuck with me is when she said, "Be on the right side of history." Because almost everyone can see this trend now... one day this won't be such a big deal.

Because the problem is, whether one is in the business of shaming people or trying to thought police, it has nothing to do with being on the right side or wrong side of history. To say to someone, "Shame on you for being against gay rights" is no more right or wrong than saying to someone else, "Zombiegirl, shame on you for being a lesbian." Assigning shame to someone is either a concept that is valid or invalid, and not dependent on which side of the fence you are on.

I have known very good people who are against gay marriage. They may be wrong, but they are not shameful.

BhikkhuJayasaraNirvanazombiegirl
    edited February 2013
    vinlyn said:

I have known very good people who are against gay marriage. They may be wrong, but they are not shameful.

@vinlyn, I agree with you that calling someone's opinion on a generic subject "shameful" is more than a bit of a stretch (unless, of course, you're dealing with an enforced orthodoxy that makes any heterodox view a shameful heresy).

Gosh, I hope that we in the West are gonna get beyond all that arrogance and silliness. World peace absolutely depends on the peoples rising to that challenge.

vinlyn
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    Good for the U.K. for passing this.

Now only if the U.S. will have this happen.
  • DaftChris said:

Good for the U.K. for passing this.

I joined the army in 1986 and back then we had to sign an official document stating that we wouldn't commit any homosexual acts and acknowledging it was an offence under the Army Act 1955. Many of our armed forces were jailed and discharged because of it.

It sounds crazy now. I frequent a military forum and no-one seems and there's an openly gay soldier on there and no-one gives a hoot.

Some things change for the better.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    I don't know how same sex managed to scoop up the handle of "gay" marriage.
    It somehow makes the hetero unions sound like a lot less fun.
    Zero
    how said:

Marriage itself period is not so fun lol, unless you are "built" for it anyways. I certainly am not, although if I'm right I'm more built for monkhood... we will have to see.

There is a growing trend of people my age and younger not even bothering. Marriage is definitely an out dated thing who's original purpose is long since no longer needed.
  • Tosh said:

Many of our armed forces were jailed and discharged because of it.

Sometime after 1955, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime that sounds crazy now. These men promptly escaped from a maximum-security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem...if no one else can help...and if you can find them...maybe you can hire...The gAy- Team

lobsterVastmindTosh
  • Jayantha said:

how said:

Marriage itself period is not so fun lol, unless you are "built" for it anyways. I certainly am not, although if I'm right I'm more built for monkhood... we will have to see.

There is a growing trend of people my age and younger not even bothering. Marriage is definitely an out dated thing who's original purpose is long since no longer needed.

I don't mean to judge you harshly, but your last couple of posts on this subject strike me as disrespectful to people who are married, intend to marry, would like to marry, and to the marriage you had to the woman that you tragically lost.
    I am closer to your parents generation coming of age in the seventies. There were many of us who didn't marry.
    I don't know what the statistics say, but it doesn't seem to me that any fewer of the present generation of twenty and thirty something's are choosing to marry.

The last statement in your post is entirely your own opinion.

robot said:

Jayantha said:

how said:

I don't mean to judge you harshly, but your last couple of posts on this subject strike me as disrespectful to people who are married, intend to marry, would like to marry, and to the marriage you had to the woman that you tragically lost.
    I am closer to your parents generation coming of age in the seventies. There were many of us who didn't marry.
    I don't know what the statistics say, but it doesn't seem to me that any fewer of the present generation of twenty and thirty something's are choosing to marry.

The last statement in your post is entirely your own opinion.

I do try to not make statements out of the blue, of course it could depend on what country you are in as well. I am talking America , as is this study -

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2012/11/20/no-reversal-in-decline-of-marriage/

"The decline in nuptials from 2008 to 2011 is in keeping with a general trend away from marriage in the U.S. Barely half of adults (51%) were married in 2011, according to ACS data, compared with 72% in 1960. Marriage increasingly is being replaced by cohabitation, single-person households and other adult living arrangements."

as for my other statements.. If people took offense to any of that they have more things to worry about then my comments. I did say that some people are "built" for it, others are not. yes my marriage ended in the death of my wife, and that may of course shade my thoughts on marriage, but in all honesty even before her death in good times and in bad times, Marriage just never fit me like I always thought it would. I'm too independent, I enjoy being able to be free to make my own decisions and do what I want. In the 7 years since i've been single, i've had two girlfriends(the last was almost 4 years ago) and I am enjoying being single. I am the best looking and the most in shape I've ever been ( I use to be 373lbs, now I'm normal and very in shape) so there is no shortage of woman i could date. I don't want to bother with the wasted time and money.. I don't see it being worth what I get out of it.

of course if my mind wasn't inclined towards renunciation.. I'm sure I may be looking for another partner, so I'm definitely not in the "norm" and never claimed to be.
    caz
    edited February 2013
    Once upon a time, women could barely earn a living on their own and had to depend on a husband... Obviously times have changed, so of course marriage is in decline.
    Jayantha said:

Blarg. Easy thing for you to say. Just remember the thread topic...
    Jason
    edited February 2013

Once upon a time, women could barely earn a living on their own and had to depend on a husband... Obviously times have changed, so of course marriage is in decline.

Jayantha said:

Blarg. Easy thing for you to say. Just remember the thread topic...
    its truth.. don't forget that the whole "marriage for love" thing is a very very recent thing in human history and was not the original purpose of marriage, which was to create stability through pair groups in late hunter gatherer and early emerging agricultural society(we're talking 15,000+ years ago) for continued procreation and then it became economics and culturally based. Arranged marriages, dowries(money and goods that a woman brings to the marriage), etc.

It's certainly not needed for the survival of the species anymore. Marriage is definitely still a very economically based activity, but it is not really "needed" anymore with the exception of being for the expression of attachment between two people which of course is important to those people, and others like the gay community who would like to have the "right" to do so which btw you already do.

it's a god/natural given right for people who own their own self(philosophy of liberty - link below ) to be able to enter into contracts freely, but government is force(of the gun) and muddles with those rights. no one can TELL you that two(or more) people are married or not, that is an affront to our natural rights, so is taxes but that is another topic for another time ;).

the long and short of my rambling as I said before is that marriage is a contract between two or more consenting adults that the government should have no part in. Further that the "institution" of marriage, and marriage being this "big" thing does not really exist as strongly as it use to but still half of people get married.. then half of them get divorced hehe. Which leads to the statement said above in this thread " I believe gay people should be as miserable as the rest of us" lol

Philosophy of liberty
    edited February 2013
    the point is that you don't need the government to "justify" your union.. it already is justified by virtue of your right as a human who has natural liberty. No one "gives" it to you nor can they take that away from you.
  • The time honoured 'baffle them with bullshit' strategy.

Face it. You're being insensitive.
    zombiegirl
    robot said:

The time honoured 'baffle them with bullshit' strategy.

Face it. You're being insensitive.

well at least now I'm just being insensitive and not "making things up" like you accused me of doing before ;)

and I'd hardly call personal liberty, which is at the heart of the whole gay marriage issue(and many others) "bullshit".