Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Pope Benedict XVI resigns

BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
Today Pope Benedict announced his resignation, to the apparent surprise of even his "inner circle".

This led to a conversation with my roommate, also a former Catholic. We both commented on the global decline of the Catholic Church and speculated that a new Pope may have to come from Latin America or Asia; if I remember correctly (and I admit to not keeping up with Catholic news), the Church is declining world-wide except for Latin America and Asia.

This is a global community; what are the reactions of your local Catholic population or friends?

Comments

• ZenBadgerZenBadger Derbyshire, UK Veteran
    Well around here the practicing Catholics think he may have just been given a terminal diagnosis and he doesn't want to linger in the job like JPII, the lapsed Catholics (not including me) think there may be something else behind it all, possibly financial or the butler thing. I don't really care anymore, most of my family are now lapsed and we only know practicing Catholics because we have a Catholic school in the village.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    Brian said:

This led to a conversation with my roommate, also a former Catholic. We both commented on the global decline of the Catholic Church and speculated that a new Pope may have to come from Latin America or Asia; if I remember correctly (and I admit to not keeping up with Catholic news), the Church is declining world-wide except for Latin America and Asia.

Don't forget Africa.
    NirvanaInvincible_summerTosh
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Interestingly, the second biggest bloc of votes will now be from the United States, although since this nation is the primary super power they say it is highly unlikely an American could move into the papacy...but it might open things up in terms of not being so Euro-centered.

As far as his reason, I'll take it at face value until there's some other reason found. I understand that not too long ago he was told he was not fit enough for international air flights.
    Nirvana
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Can't say I'm sorry to see him go. In my eyes, he's barely a half-step above a common criminal.

The next Pope? Well, it will never be an American, (we're viewed as too liberal and radical), and it will most likely not be a Cardinal from Africa. (need we say why?)

So although it doesn't affect me directly, since I've renounced the Catholic Church about 40 yrs ago, I think they should stick to Italians or Spaniards or other European Cardinals-- preferably one without any connections, ties or scandals involving Nazis, child molestation cover-ups or other in-house criminal activities....
    seanblu3reechela
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I never got a sense about him that he was holy at all. He honestly kind of creeped me out for reasons I cannot explain. He makes my neck hair stand on end. He just did not seem to "fit the part" so to speak. Certain religious or spiritual figures have had a presence about them. Whether one calls it holiness or something else. This guy didn't have it (in my estimation of course).
    As to his reasons, I can't say one way or another. To me it makes sense that it might be a combination of ailing health and the stress of having to deal with the scandals. I didn't even realize they could abdicate/resign until today.
    MaryAnneSile
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Poor guy must have absolutely agonized over it. He's a traditionalist through-and-through, but this act is surely one of trailblazing. Not since the days of Avignon and the antipopes...

I think the new pope will be Italian or Sicilian. The Italians can't stand this Polish and German intrusion...

@Brian, I think they are all stunned by the news.
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited February 2013
    my only thoughts on this whole thing bring to mind one of the reasons I connected with buddhism -

From the maha Parinibbana sutta -

1. Now the Blessed One spoke to the Venerable Ananda, saying: "It may be, Ananda, that to some among you the thought will come: 'Ended is the word of the Master; we have a Master no longer.' But it should not, Ananda, be so considered. For that which I have proclaimed and made known as the Dhamma and the Discipline, that shall be your Master when I am gone.

I was born and raised a catholic, was an alter boy, Eucharistic minister, and leader of my youth group all the while not feeling that any of it fit me. After "leaving" the church as a teenager I had much aversion and anger towards the church and many of the people in it. I have worked through most all of that though. I have no opinion on this current event one way or another because it is not part of my life anymore and these days ironically feels more alien to me then the path of dhamma I now follow that stemmed from another culture on the other side of the globe.
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited February 2013
    @Nirvana

I'm from a Roman Catholic Italian family.... and it's a big family of more than 130 people. I think of that 130 ppl there are maybe 4 of us who are no longer acknowledged/practicing catholics.
    But those who still are had absolutely no issues with Pope John Paul II (Cardinal Karol Wojtyla) from Poland. He was very much beloved and/or respected by Italians, western Europeans and American Catholics alike.

That was an unfair and - IMO - unfounded generalization against Italian Catholics you made.

As for compassion, I have compassion - even for this retiring pope- I wish him no harm or evil to befall him. But he did not merit the job; he dragged the Church back 100 years, and he has a shady very UNholy past to boot.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    Edited to keep discussion on track; devolving into personal attacks between members? Come on guys, we're all friends here.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2013
    MaryAnne said:

Can't say I'm sorry to see him go. In my eyes, he's barely a half-step above a common criminal.

The next Pope? Well, it will never be an American, (we're viewed as too liberal and radical), and it will most likely not be a Cardinal from Africa. (need we say why?)

I'd love to see someone like Desmond Tutu in the role.
    :)

He's not Catholic, though. :(

chela
  • I'd like to see a younger (maybe born early 60s) black Pope, African, modern - someone who will condone the use of condoms - and be a little more radical.

Not all for the right reasons though. :D
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    It doesn't effect me, but as this has not occurred in about 600 years, I wonder what a retired/resigned Pope does? Will he go back to being a Cardinal? An adviser to the newly elected Pope? This might prove to be interesting to see unfold, as it will be played out in the world press.
    blu3ree
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Dakini said:

I'd love to see someone like Desmond Tutu in the role.
    :)

He's not Catholic, though. :(

Yes, I would imagine that might prove to be a minor spanner in the works....

One thing's for sure, Much as HH the DL is quite open as to the possibility of a female Dalai Lama in some future incarnation, I can't ever see the Catholic Church being swayed in similar manner with regard to a female papacy.... ;)

I watched the news this evening in the UK and it would appear a good many Italians feel that they are certainly not being given full access to facts, and that there is a great deal more to this than meets the eye....As an ex R.Catholic and Italian to boot, I heard for myself that Romans are dismayed, confused and very shocked.... But murmurings certainly seem to be focussing on Internal scandals being too much for him to deal with any more.
    I too feel that a central European will be a [prime candidate.
    I think the Papal See may be of the opinion that 'playing at home' may be a 'safer bet'.....

We have to wait, now....
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator

It doesn't effect me, but as this has not occurred in about 600 years, I wonder what a retired/resigned Pope does? Will he go back to being a Cardinal? An adviser to the newly elected Pope? This might prove to be interesting to see unfold, as it will be played out in the world press.

In an official statement, he will retire to a monastery (I forget which one), and spend the "remainder of his days in prayer and reflection".
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Brian said:

In an official statement, he will retire to a monastery (I forget which one), and spend the "remainder of his days in prayer and reflection".
    sounds like the pope and I have something in common! who'd a thought. except exchange prayer with meditation lol.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    I'll start paying attention when I hear there's a nice black lesbian taking over.
    BhanteLuckyblu3reeMaryAnneInvincible_summer
  • May all Popes resign.
    Preferably before becoming too Catholic . . .

Glad to hear about the life of peace and prayer. Bit late to start but good luck. :clap:
    Sile
    ^ Yes, he is interesting.
    I Love the Guy!
    I'm no friend of his detractors.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Perhaps he is sick? Isn't he 85 years old? Maybe he took too much upon himself? Then he realized it was too much? Or perhaps he is trying to cover something up? Hmmm...
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    In response to - "What did the Pope have for breakfast today...?"
    MaryAnneSileTheEccentric
    edited February 2013
    Sorry, but no one told me that this was the Pope Flops thread...

I thought it was about an event unprecedented in modern times.

I'm sorry for pointing out that compassion is rooted in being kind...

But if appealing to charity as the more appropriate thing to show towards an elderly man retiring from an exhausting job can be construed as a personal attack —I think Mrs. Patmore would say, "Then, I don't know what."
  • @Nirvana,

You said: "But if appealing to charity as the more appropriate thing to show towards an elderly man retiring from an exhausting job can be construed as a personal attack...."

I don't think that's what Brian was referring to when he commented about personal attacks. Could be wrong, and if so I hope Brian will correct me. But that's not how I read what he said...
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2013
    Personally, I can't say that I'm sad to the pontiff — who, among other things, called Buddhism "self-indulgent eroticism" and thought it was OK to say that condoms increase the problem of AIDS in a country where 22.5 million people are living with HIV — go. Not really a huge fan, although I'm sad to see that it's because his health is declining.
    Like massive boulders,
    mountains pressing against the sky,
    moving in from all sides,
    crushing the four directions,
    so aging and death
    come rolling over living beings:
    noble warriors, brahmans, merchants,
    workers, outcastes, & scavengers.
    They spare nothing.
    They trample everything.
    - SN 3.25
    MaryAnnevinlyn

• All kinds of sites reporting this news about the Pope are getting a very mixed-bag of responses.... Even on the Christian and Catholic leaning sites.
    Ratzinger was not nearly as "beloved" by Catholics as the last few men to hold that holy position of Pope.
    Many do not like what he did within the Catholic church before becoming Pope, (He was essentially the appointed "clearing house" for priests' molestation and sex scandals/accusations - and subsequent cover-ups and bribes - from all over Europe), nor what he did even earlier in his life as a young man (Hitler Youth group member, member of the German army then conveniently "deserting" out of it just as WWII started, etc.)

People may call him "traditional" and "old fashioned"... but in truth his views are "fundamentalist". In many people's eyes there is a difference.

chelaSile
    I am not following this thread anymore. Just saw something, though, in its banner:

:

You know, some words are just so close to meaning their exact opposite, with just a letter missing or two juxtaposed:

Friend V Fiend

Unite V Untie

Resign V Reign

and others not really antonyms, but totally opposed anyhow:

Marital V Martial

Pope Benedict XVI still REIGNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Yawn...
    BeejMaryAnneTheEccentric
  • Nirvana said:

I am not following this thread anymore. Just saw something, though, in its banner:

:

You know, some words are just so close to meaning their exact opposite, with just a letter missing or two juxtaposed:

Friend V Fiend

Unite V Untie

Resign V Reign

and others not really antonyms, but totally opposed anyhow:

Marital V Martial

Pope Benedict XVI still REIGNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All I can say about that ^ is: Wow.
    All I can think is: Wonder why Nirvana finds this particular Pope so endearing while at the same time can't understand why others would not (whether he feels the same or not).
    I have not seen one reason mentioned for this reverence for the Pope - except he's "old" and he's the Pope....

As for your word game- here's another. SACRED vs SCARED.
    or Hallowed vs Hollowed.

• TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    I agree he has had a very unholy, dodgey past but the "His Slave ownerness" the Dalai Lama is by far worse.
  • pets vs pest
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited February 2013
    It may require a bit more effort than anyone wants to expend, but I find this (21 pages with pix) first-person account of the upper reaches of Roman Catholicism pretty touching and informative: John Cavanagh, a former Trappist monk, gave me permission to put it on the Internet two days before he died on Sept. 9, 2012. A MODERN MONK'S TALE. It's enough to make you weep for those who love God.
    DakinizenffInvincible_summer
  • Here's an article that says that by resigning, the Pope gains immunity from lawsuits relating to his responsibility in the chain of command in any scandals.http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/15/us-pope-resignation-immunity-idUSBRE91E0ZI20130215
    Sile
    And here's a well-written article from The Washington Post about the fractured gyrations of the upper echelons within the Vatican.

For all that this well-written article depicts (and yes, it's longer than a Tweet or Facebook entry), still it makes me wonder what was LEFT OUT.
  • CoryCory Tennessee Veteran
    edited February 2013
    In my area, and the school I go to, there are not many religious kids. If I were to say "Hey did you know Pope Benedict XVI is resigning?" They would probably say something like "Wut? oh, that one guy.. no? that was a random question." :lol:
    @Cory -- Point well taken. Here is an article that may have some associative value ... about the decline of human intelligence.
  • CoryCory Tennessee Veteran
    @genkaku It is sad but true.
    @genkaku, re John Cavanagh and A MODERN MONK'S TALE: that's just what it is a TALE, and a purrrrrrttty TALL one at that. I've known his type in the Catholic churches —be they Roman or Anglican— and they are vicious fabricators of lies. I've even known three homosexual church organists/choirmasters who have told terrible untruths about the clergy, including even my own Father —ridiculously, patently untrue things, which many people are eager to hear, since latching onto these ideas about others lowers the bar for their own self-expectations of goodness or honor.

I say no more now lest I give offense when none is intended. However, I do protest.
  • This is a good point that's been raised here before; some clergy do get unjustly accused. But whether or not the specific claims in A Monk's Tale are true, I have no doubt that there's a systemic problem in the Church and its institutions.

Here's a link to a blog by a Catholic monks who now has a therapy practice for those who have experienced abuse in the Church. He offers some very insightful analysis as to the conditions and mechanisms in the institutional structure that allow misconduct to continue. I think it's great that there are people like this who come up through the ranks and use their experience and observations to devote themselves to helping others heal.
    http://www.thinkingfaith.org/articles/20100415_1.htm
    they are vicious fabricators of lies.
    @Nirvana -- A man on death's door takes the trouble to fabricate a scurrilous tale about a blameless church. I would be curious as to what evidence you might adduce to support that accusation.

But even supposing it were true for a moment, how then would you address other strikingly similar evidence that crops up in Vatican documents beginning as long ago as 309 AD and is followed by a laundry list of canonical documents about how to deal with the pedophilia problem in the church: Here is the list, which is probably far from inclusive, that ends in 2001 ... document after document attesting to the Vatican's desire to keep sexual deviations among celibate clergymen under wraps. Do Vatican documents come within your judgment of vicious fabrication? Read the documents ... judge for yourself.

Then, of course, there are a mounting number of court decisions and high-profile civil leaders' allegations that seem to throw your assertion into question ... as for example in a Kansas City court decision; or investigations in California; or the Prime Minister of Australia, Julia Gillard, setting up a royal commission in the wake of police revelations of Roman Catholic priest abuse of
    small children.

The "terrible untruths" you allude to but do not support seem to me to be possible ... but at the moment, I wonder if it would not be more accurate to label the litany of evidence as belonging among the terrible truths.
  • Wherever there is an institution run by people, there will be injustice, for sure. And the more institutionalized something is, the more injustice will prevail.
    MaryAnne
    edited February 2013
    I refrain from saying what I really believe in its full force, lest I give offense when no insult or malice is perceived as coming from you, @genkaku. Nor do I believe in any blameless church, especially since a lot of churchianity seems like just so much show and wearing costumes to me. And, of course, the worst has always been suspected of the monasteries since the days of John Wycliffe and his reforming zeal which predates Henry VIII's expropriation of monastic lands and properties.

I tried to read the aforementioned disgusting literature and found it absolutely the work of a deranged man, plain and simple. The plain truth is that it is not impossible still to be overcome with bitterness on ones deathbed, and a heart full of bitterness is nowhere where truth is either found nor to be sought.

I have known vicious people in my life, and true to form, they are full of vices; yet they see every small imperfection in others and can't help but magnify them. They truly are a resentful lot.
    edited February 2013
    @Nirvana -- If I catch your drift, you are saying that the proof of viciousness lies in your experience of viciousness. Ergo, Cavanagh's depiction in "A Modern Monk's Tale" is nothing other than vicious.

How you deduce that the author was "deranged" beats the socks off me since I found the writing clear and cogent ... and I have some small history both as a book and newspaper editor.

Obviously, since you cite no specifics and decline to address the other factual aspects of Vatican depredations, past and present, this is your point of view and one which -- for reasons I cannot quite fathom -- you may expect others to subscribe to despite any evidence other than your word and conclusions... without reference to the specific bases on which you premise those conclusions.

As the Anglican Charles Williams once observed, "People believe what they want to believe." There is no rational discussion possible when beliefs cannot be opened to an evidence-based assessment. Emotional remonstrances only reach so far: Saying "It's true because I say it's true" falls short of a convincing or even an entirely sane assertion ... or anyway, that's what I think.

OK, I give up.
    The sexual abuse of children by priests in authority is well documented in many countries and I find it abhorrent, and believe it to be true. It is an unforgivable sin and crime, as far as we human being are concerned. I think the cause of stopping that sort of thing is a just one.

But if justice is not involved, bringing all this murky slop up to the surface of the consciousness is just a hue and a cry from voyeurism.

What one is capable of believing lies within him. I, for one, just cannot fathom anything in the piece I have labelled a fabrication. Perhaps it's just as simple as a matter of taste, as you suggest. Fine. I do not approve of scandal where its none of my business. I don't read the printed newspaper in my town, nor do I watch the local news. The local news is all about rapes and break-ins, and people doing bad things like that —Not part of my life. It's none of my business who the police charge with J-walking or worse. I don't move among criminals and don't want consciousness of their activities to be imbued on my being in any way. Sri Ramakrishna would neither allow money nor newsprint to come anywhere near him.

As for the other things you have cited in this thread, @genkaku, I have not even looked at them after having struggled to make any sense of A MODERN MONK's TALE. I know that monasteries don't operate like that and that Abbots are almost always elected by the community of brothers for some specified term and always have some sort of episcopal oversight over them.
    Nirvana said:

The sexual abuse of children by priests in authority is well documented in many countries and I find it abhorrent, and believe it to be true. It is an unforgivable sin and crime, as far as we human being are concerned. I think the cause of stopping that sort of thing is a just one.

But if justice is not involved, bringing all this murky slop up to the surface of the consciousness is just a hue and a cry from voyeurism.

What one is capable of believing lies within him. I, for one, just cannot fathom anything in the piece I have labelled a fabrication. Perhaps it's just as simple as a matter of taste, as you suggest. Fine. I do not approve of scandal where its none of my business. I don't read the printed newspaper in my town, nor do I watch the local news. The local news is all about rapes and break-ins, and people doing bad things like that —Not part of my life. It's none of my business who the police charge with J-walking or worse. I don't move among criminals and don't want consciousness of their activities to be imbued on my being in any way. Sri Ramakrishna would neither allow money nor newsprint to come anywhere near him.

As for the other things you have cited in this thread, @genkaku, I have not even looked at them after having struggled to make any sense of A MODERN MONK's TALE. I know that monasteries don't operate like that and that Abbots are almost always elected by the community of brothers for some specified term and always have some sort of episcopal oversight over them.

Me too, but keep in mind that it also happens with Buddhist monks. There were a number of scandals while I was in Thailand, and many more instances that I'm sure were never reported.

• In answer to the OP's specific question, the specific reaction amongst my Catholic colleagues is that Pope Benedict XVI is fleeing.

It's oft quoted that this resignation is the "first in 600 years," but no pope has voluntarily resigned since Pope Celestine V in 1294.
    MaryAnne
    Sile said:

In answer to the OP's specific question, the specific reaction amongst my Catholic colleagues is that Pope Benedict XVI is fleeing.

It's oft quoted that this resignation is the "first in 600 years," but no pope has voluntarily resigned since Pope Celestine V in 1294.

He's fleeing??? He's going to live in the Vatican...just in different quarters. And fleeing what -- from a sovereign state where he will continue to live?

• SileSile Veteran
    edited February 2013
    I dunno, @vinlyn. I'm not Catholic. Fleeing prosecution/negative legacy, though - that was their feeling. Maybe they're wrong.