Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Need advice on mindfully eating

I am middle aged female and new to Buddhism. I tend to overeat, and am in constant battle with myself to eat the right types of foods. I have never been over-weight until recent years, which may be partly due to my age. I have done some soul searching about my eating habits, and have realized that I had to "turn off" my focus on food when growing up due to the fact that I wasn't fed properly. It's a long story, but has to do with being raised by single mom who worked all the time and never cooked meals and rarely bought groceries. So I believe that living so long with so little to eat, I had to ignore my hunger pains and thoughts about food.

Now, as a mom, I make sure that my children receive decent meals and this is always something in my mind to provide for them. While I do think about food frequently, I find that when I'm eating, I don't ever really feel full and tend to overeat. Sometimes I don't even realize how much I'm eating. This issue is compounded due to the fact that I am hypoglycemic (low blood sugar), so I really can't go a long time without eating something, and if I eat carbs (without having protein), I get light-headed after a few hours and have to eat again. I used to have black-outs until I figured out what was wrong with me, so now when I do feel hungry or feel like I'm getting light-headed, I make sure I eat because blacking out is scary and dangerous. Fasting is not something I can do because it's actually dangerous for me.

It seems easy enough. I KNOW that I need to be more mindful about eating. But for some reason, I'm having a really hard time with this. Does anyone have any suggestions on HOW to be more mindful with food and my eating issues? I know I can go on a diet and count calories-- I've done this before but it's very time consuming and difficult to keep up long-term. Are there any teachings that would be helpful?
blu3ree

Comments

• Good post! I'm a middle-aged male and since giving up drinking I put on a lot of weight, and then mainly by running long-ish distances (about 25 to 40 miles per week), lost a lot of weight. But my eating habits aren't good. I'm on at least four bags of crisps a day (I think you 'mericans call them chips), and I love chocolate too much.

I rarely eat until I'm satisfied, I eat until I'm full. And I keep the weight down by running.

I'm pretty sure the problem is similar to drinking in that I use food to try and change the way I feel. If I'm restless, irritable, or discontented, reaching for a bag of crisps or a choccy bar is the easy way out. In this sense I'm pushed about by my suffering.

I think when I was younger sex was on my mind an awful lot, and now I'm older it seems food plays a rather lager significant role in my life. I've had pet cats just like me.

I look forward to reading some replies.
    Beej
  • Walnuts are very good soy milk . avocados give energy. look at the ingredients to the foods avoid GMO produce. Eat fresh produce. You can tell whether or not food is gmo or not by the label. The non gmo will have a 4 number label on them ie 4451. Eating raw foods are more nutritious than anything cooked. Other things to look or for are msg labels anything with artificial ingredients. dehydrated things are not very nutritious either.

I'm missing a Few things but in a nutshell fresh produce without gmo. Not sure if ur a vegetarian but if u are vitamin b12 is necesary for the development of the brain and vegetarians usually don't get enough always try and get vitamins from foods rather than pills as they are easier to digest.
    I'm no nutritionist or Anything watching dr. Oz helps too as they really go in depth with stuff u can go he has a website to watch videos I think it's doctoroz.com or something
  • Tosh said:

I'm pretty sure the problem is similar to drinking in that I use food to try and change the way I feel. If I'm restless, irritable, or discontented, reaching for a bag of crisps or a choccy bar is the easy way out. In this sense I'm pushed about by my suffering.

I think when I was younger sex was on my mind an awful lot, and now I'm older it seems food plays a rather lager significant role in my life. I've had pet cats just like me.

I look forward to reading some replies.

It seems that we have some similarities, brother.
    Tosh
  • blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Forgot to mention artificial ingredients only taste good while I don't believe their is any hard evidence they probly attribute to organ failure and possibly cancer. They are not naturally occurring. Its beautiful that you are looking after your kids!! Keep it up.

When buying juices try to get the stuff that isn't from concentrate. When cooking olive oil is one of the best lubricating agents that can be used. Hope this helps.
    Also knowing where your products come from helps as anything from japan is most likely going to be highly irradiated.
  • Thank you, @blu3ree for your suggestions on types of foods. I think I have a fairly decent idea on what is and what isn't healthy. I did take a nutrition class in college, as well. I came away thinking that every public high school student should be required to take a nutrition course before graduating-- it's so important to get good nutrition.

I think my problem is more in the area of will power and control, rather than knowledge of healthy foods.
  • Set up a routine on how you eat.

Check out what oryoki is.

I was on retreat and was forced to eat in the style of Japanese oryoki and it was profound how completely mindless I was at eating.

I don't want to say more because there is a lot of self discovery in this process. So attack it from how you use the utensils to how the utensils are placed to the arrangement of food, etc.

It sounds a bit OCD but really it forces us to examine everything and move slower.
    chela
  • Thanks, @taiyaki-- I will definitely check this out. It sounds like it might give me some insight and possibly (hopefully) shake up my zombie eating habits.
  • I KNOW that I need to be more mindful about eating.
    We always know.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/08/dining/mindful-eating-as-food-for-thought.html
    chelaInvincible_summer
  • chelachela Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Wonderful, @lobster- thanks! What a gift- this article mentions several books about mindful eating; one of which is from my favorite author, Thay Nhat Hanh ;)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2013
    I started snacking on healthy things. They grow on you even though at first maybe bad. Here are some snacks. They are not perfect but I will try to post my bad alternatives:

peanut butter and jelly on whole grain - at least it's only part sugar
    nuts - some fat but protein
    grape tomatoes - pop a few of these whenever you are in the kitchen
    fruit - I have some each afternoon particularly before exercising
    granola bar - not a 'candy bar' kind. I like nature valley
    raisin bran - good for digestion
    olives
    crackers with turkey pepperoni
    beef jerky - satisfies hunger exceptional relative to calories
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    At a theravada monastery we did this:

Before you eat, do a short dedication;
    "I take this food, not for fun, not for pleasure, not for fattening, but simply to provide fuel for the body."

Then when you eat, don't do anything except eat. No tv or music. Just concentrate on the act of eating and chewing.

Finish each mouthful before taking another.

There is also a meditation on the repulsiveness of food... But that's a bit more serious and can set up unhealthy habits in non-monastics.

blu3ree
  • A problem with willpower? I am failing to comprehend the meaning. Do you eat meat? personally eating meat makes me depressed. There is anxiety fear and adrenaline flowing through animals when their about to get slaughtered. When one eats healthy the body feels better there will be more energy mood improves.
  • Hi @chela ,

I quite like the recommendation of @JamestheGiant , and I would add that we all have a tendency to be in a hurry about things, so it helps to slow things down I bit. I have found that the silent recitation of mantra deliberately and with attention before every bite, and then carrying that attention to the whole process really does slow things down. It gives your body time to register the intake, but don't try this if you are in an unavoidable hurry though. You probably won't be able to finish your meal :)
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    edited February 2013
    It is helpful sometimes to remember that most nutrition classes offered, at least in the US, are based on research paid for and sponsored by the government Ag. department. In the case of food, it is complex in the US because you have to follow the money and the lobbies. They don't have our best interests at heart, but profit, as usual. Some of the things we are told really go against our basic biology. If you eat adequate veggies and fruits, you do not need nearly the grains and dairy they tell you you need, for example. Leafy greens are hands down the highest nutritional value per calorie. Simply including more of them (the darker, the better, bok choy, kale, mustard greens, spinach...) will help your health.

As far as eating mindfully. The very first step of digestion (and thus getting needed nutrients into your body) is chewing. If you eat, say, a loaf of bread from the store versus a loaf of bread you hand make, you notice fast how much more chewy it is when you make it. Bread from the store dissolves in your mouth. It's engineered that way. The processed foods dissolve so you can eat more and more of it. Keep things as close to whole foods as you can, and chew it alot. Even fruits and veggies, the action of chewin them well (like 20 seconds of chewing per bite) releases a lot of the phytochemicals and such that you need. If you do not chew them adequately, you miss some of that nutrition because they do not digest in your intestines properly. So, #1 chew slowly. Put down your fork while you chew and pick it back up again. That alone will make a huge difference in how much you eat at a meal before you start to feel full.

#2 note all the sensations. The flavor, the texture, everything about the food.

#3 do not eat under distraction. In the car, at your desk, in front of the tv. Shut everything off, sit at the table, and pay attention to all parts of your eating. How the food feels when you first put it in your mouth. How it tastes. What it's features are and what was put into that food in order to bring it to your plate (ie, the sun, water, soil, farmer's work, etc that put the apple on your plate). Remember to put your fork down between bites.

If you do just those things with everything you eat, your meal time should get higher and it gives your body time to get the message from stomach to brain that you are full. Most people who end up overeating do so because they eat so fast, and eat processed foods that dissolve so fast they don't have to chew them hardly at all, that by the time their brain registers that they are full, they are over full. For whatever reason, the chemicals released that tell your brain you are full, take about 20 minutes to affect the brain. So, eating slowly makes this process more effective and you are more likely to realize you are full before you have over eaten.
    blu3reeStraight_Man
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    Great Thread! Thanks!
  • chelachela Veteran
    edited February 2013
    @karasti, thanks for your thoughtful and detailed post. As far as the nutrition class-- it was actually very informative. Taught by a certified nutrition consultant, we did food journaling where we were required to look up the nutrition content of everything we ate to see if we were meeting guidelines. Yes, guidelines are often published by the government (the food pyramid), but we also had to read a hefty textbook that discussed vitamins and minerals and diseases connected to either deficiency or overdose. We also learned about the benefits of whole foods versus processed foods. Overall, I found it extremely useful to the point that it made me realize that in the U.S., we sit around and wag our fingers at the fact that our diabetes rate is skyrocketing, yet we offer such paltry nutrition education in schools. In high school, I had to learn how to square dance and keep score in bowling, yet nobody taught me how to apply for a job or balance a checkbook or eat properly. I know that we are ultimately responsible for ourselves and our own education, but there are so many people who just don't know how to educate themselves. Oh, now I'm getting off topic!
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Go step by step. A vast overhaul of your diet might be too psychologically shocking to your system, so ween yourself off of some of your favorite junk foods. choose one unhealthy thing to eliminate from your diet this week and replace it with something healthy. i love almonds or walnuts now instead of skittles and donuts, but i did it slowly.

as time goes on, and you "trade up" in your food choices, it wont even feel like this gigantic task that it seems like it is for you now. the bottom line is, you want to feel better and you want it now, but we know from meditation that there are growing pains, learning curves, and often times even regressions. it doesnt happen overnight. one snack, and one meal at a time, and you will eventually see the changes you want to, both outwardly and inwardly. and seriously, eat fruit! its delicious, time consuming (apples) and so much better than partially hydrogenated anything.

and forgive yourself when you make the wrong choices, but be mindful of how those choices make you feel. sugar disrupts you natural bio- chemistry for up to eight hours, its diverts your natural energies away from other parts of your body so that it can process the sugar out of your body. sugar is a toxin. your body does not want it. and good luck! :)
    chelaLucy_Begood
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    @chela our 4 year old son is a type 1 diabetic. Once he was diagnosed I started doing a ton of reading and research on nutrition. Fascinating how simple yet how complex it is at the same time. And how much more complex we make it by adding 25 aisles to the supermarket that we don't need. I do the vast majority of my shopping either in the small coop or on the perimeter of the market. I just wish our year round veggie and fruit selection was better here.

I also totally agree with what @TheBeejAbides said. That is how I started making changes. Instead of telling myself I couldn't have a whole list of stuff, I just started adding better stuff. Over time, much of the bad stuff naturally disappeared because I craved the healthier foods instead. I still have my moments. PMS is rough, lol, I crave flaming hot cheetos and coke like no one's business. But where I might have those things 1-3 times a month now, I used to eat them multiple times a week. When I stopped eating most grains, my allergies all but disappeared, and the redness that I had to my skin disappeared. For a long time I was told I had rosacea, but it turns out it was all inflammatory response to grains.

Interesting thing to read about. Thich Nhat Hahn wrote a book with another lady called "Savor" that is about mindful eating and habits. Some parts of the book I really didn't like, but there are some really good exercises in it and overall I found it worthwhile. I just had to ignore the stuff that rubbed me the wrong way.
  • karasti said:

I still have my moments. PMS is rough, lol, ... When I stopped eating most grains, my allergies all but disappeared, and the redness that I had to my skin disappeared. For a long time I was told I had rosacea, but it turns out it was all inflammatory response to grains.

PMS-- don't I know it! That is when my sugar and chocolate craving kick in big-time. That is also VERY interesting about grains. I have just become increasingly aware of the issue of inflammation as it relates to foods. I would like to cut down on grains-- gosh it's so difficult-- it's in everything!! I have some members of my family (mother and grandmother, plus others) who have gluten allergies. I have normal allergies and psoriasis and my immune system seems to be in overdrive most of the time. I would like to learn more about the correlation between inflammation and grains- thanks for bringing this to my attention.
  • Thank you, @PandanticPorpoise, for this lovely verse and story I can remind myself of when eating!
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    I am in a similair situation, when I get home I tell myself I'm not going to over indulge but I just do, it's too tempting.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Just some thoughts..

Everyone I've ever got to know, has some addiction to deal with (myself included). The main thing I think I see all addictions share, is the support of an ego based view.
    I sometimes wonder if the difficulty in addressing an addiction is because it's really more of a symptom than a cause. It better fits the definition of a compounded delusion where it's almost impossible to directly deal with because it's real cause remains hidden from the effects.
    Even trying to address the symptoms unknowingly places you in an adversarial position with your own identity structure.
    So far, those who I've known that have best dealt with their addictions, have really just been softening and dissolving their own ego.
    chelaInvincible_summerlobsterLucy_Begood
  • @how- I'm sure you are right. I need to get sitting more, that's for sure!
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    edited February 2013
    chela said:

I know I can go on a diet and count calories-- I've done this before but it's very time consuming and difficult to keep up long-term.

Indeed, diets and calorie counting doesn't work. There are many reasons for this, including...

The following video explains why leptin doesn't work today.

The best advice is to simply eat real or whole foods.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited February 2013
    I hear you about the hypoglycemia thing. I probably have undiagnosed hypoglycemia (it's pretty common in my family), but not as severe as you as I never black out. I just get crabby/disoriented and I've learned long ago that I need to keep myself in check. I make a lot of protein shakes to keep me from getting to that point and they really seem to keep me feeling okay longer. I use them to supplement my normal diet, not as a meal replacement or anything.

Typically I add: 1 banana, 1 apple, some strawberries or whatever I have, few spoonfuls of greek yogurt, protein mix (hemp, whey, and soy), ground flax seed, and a 'green' mix with wheat grass and spirulina and all sorts of other chlorophyll type stuff.
    Not all of this is necessary, but since I'm just throwing it in the blender, I figure... why not?

They say that the reason obesity is such a problem these days is because when you're eating McDonalds or whatever, you're not actually satisfying your body. You're filling your stomach, but what your body is actually craving is the specific nutrients that bad food doesn't have... so we keep eating... and if we keep eating junk, then our bodies are still hungry... so we keep eating. It becomes a pretty viscous cycle.

As far as the whole 'mindful eating' thing goes, to my understanding, a lot of it involves properly chewing our food. When we eat too fast, by the time our body gives us the 'full' signal, we've already eaten too much. So chewing slowly and completely can actually help this problem in a simple way. It also helps reduce indigestion by better breaking down the food before it gets to our stomachs, as well as helping to create more of the enzymes in our saliva to help break the food down. More enzymes=more nutrients extracted. :)

One more thing to think about! How much water do you drink? They also say that in dehydrated individuals, people often misinterpret thirst for hunger. So sometimes when you're feeling hungry, you might actually be thirsty.
    chelaLucy_Begood

• One more thing to think about! How much water do you drink? They also say that in dehydrated individuals, people often misinterpret thirst for hunger. So sometimes when you're feeling hungry, you might actually be thirsty.

This is a very good point-- one that I often find myself forgetting about!