Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Days of our lives?

JohnGJohnG Veteran
edited February 2013 in Buddhism Basics
I was wondering about the longevity we have here as human. Some a few hours, others many decades or century; so can anyone answer my question? Does our lives require a set number of days to accomplish something, or does our life' longevity based on the number of things we must do, before rebirth?

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    Soap opera?
    PatrJohnG
  • So you should view this fleeting world --
    A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream,
    A flash of lightening in a summer cloud,
    A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.

Diamond Sutra
    howInvincible_summer
  • how said:

Soap opera?

Hmmm, could be; and to think, I once thought soap opera's were wierd.

:coffee:
  • CoryCory Tennessee Veteran
    edited February 2013
    I think that instead of letting time take hold of your life you should do things as they go. With that said I would have to say that it would be a certain number of things you must do. Unless you are a Tibetan buddhist, then you may believe in the set ammount of days between death and reincarnation.
  • Thank you all for the informaiton :D. It's just the idea of the vast age that is becoming normal; up to and over a century. It's just that if we have a set amount of things, wisdom, knowledge, experiance in this life, to help in the next life after re-birth, those who are now centarians, I hate to see what their going to be up against in the next life. :coffee:
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Looking forward is like looking back -- dumber than a box of rocks. Whether anyone was Queen Nefertiti in a former life or a Woo-hoo Buddha in the next, still the plain fact is that just now I happen to be alive and what do I plan to do with that fact?

Determinism doesn't determine much in any convincing way. It makes for what @how might call a good soap opera, but what kind of a life would this be if we nourished ourselves on soap operas? If there was a life in the past, so what? If there is a life in the future, so what? All this is fairy-tale time for those who might employ their time better with a good and determined practice.
    lobsterJohnG