Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Top five regrets of the dying

BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
edited February 2013 in Buddhism Basics
This is fascinating. A palliative care nurse recorded many of her patients' regrets as their lives ebbed, and summarized the top five regrets most people have as they reflect on their lives.

The five:
  • I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
  • I wish I hadn't worked so hard.
  • I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.
  • I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.
  • I wish that I had let myself be happier.
Food for thought.
howZeroVastmindBegin_BeingGlowDaltheJigsawInvincible_summerSile

Comments

• andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited February 2013
    In my experience, as 30 years of being a registered nurse in a wide variety of settings and also with being a part of deaths of family and close friends it is about what we do not get to do.
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    so.... they wish they had practiced dhamma ?:P
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    No....

They wish they had lived life, as I think we're all meant to.
    Let's not insult these people by compartmentalising, ok?
    mfranzdorfvinlynJohnGDaltheJigsaw
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    This reinforces that I am very good at this game.
    novaw0lf
    federica said:

No....

insult?

I was just making a comment on how all of those regrets can be worked on through the dhamma practice(mindfulness is the way to truly live life!).. of course there are other ways as well im sure.

Mindfulness is the way to the Deathless (Nibbana); unmindfulness is the way to Death. Those who are mindful do not die; those who are not mindful are as if already dead.
    Invincible_summer
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Jayantha said:

federica said:

No....

insult?

I was just making a comment on how all of those regrets can be worked on through the dhamma practice(mindfulness is the way to truly live life!).. of course there are other ways as well im sure.

Mindfulness is the way to the Deathless (Nibbana); unmindfulness is the way to Death. Those who are mindful do not die; those who are not mindful are as if already dead.
    I don't see any of those things as being more Buddhist than Christian.

• The Sufis have a wonderful saying, 'die before you are dead'. One of the meanings is to do with leaving behind the lesser shells.

We are Buddha. We should live accordingly and shine. :)
  • Jayantha said:

federica said:

No....

insult?

I guess wishing they had been Buddhist didn't come up enough to make the list is all.
    I wonder how many monastics wish they had not worked so hard. Or that they had spent more time with friends and family. Or that they had enjoyed more worldly pleasures.
    That would make an interesting survey.
    vinlyn said:

Jayantha said:

federica said:

No....

insult?

robot said:

Jayantha said:

federica said:

No....

insult?

I guess wishing they had been Buddhist didn't come up enough to make the list is all.
    I wonder how many monastics wish they had not worked so hard. Or that they had spent more time with friends and family. Or that they had enjoyed more worldly pleasures.
    where did I say people wished they were buddhist.. .I said practiced dhamma.. very different.. Dhamma has no "ist".
    andyrobyn
  • Jayantha said:

vinlyn said:

Jayantha said:

federica said:

No....

insult?

robot said:

Jayantha said:

federica said:

No....

insult?

where did I say people wished they were buddhist.. .I said practiced dhamma.. very different.. Dhamma has no "ist".
    Fair enough. But if you had said "accepted Jesus into their heart" or "lived by Gods word", I would have assumed you meant being Christian. My mistake.
  • Brian said:

This is fascinating. A palliative care nurse recorded many of her patients' regrets as their lives ebbed, and summarized the top five regrets most people have as they reflect on their lives.

The five:

• I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
    • I wish I hadn't worked so hard.
    • I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.
    • I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.
    • I wish that I had let myself be happier.
    Food for thought.
    A regret is a regret whatever its position in the list but I don't regret reading this. Thanks!
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited February 2013
    My teacher Tara Brach actually just recently gave a dharma talk on this very topic, citing this very same list of regrets: http://tarabrach.com/audioarchives2013.html <- click on "Stepping Out of the Cave" from January 16th. It's a beautiful talk about how we can learn to live with integrity. Worth a listen. :)
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    Like @Lincoln, when I saw this list, I was like... Man, I'm only 35 and I already live my life like this. If I died tomorrow, I would have zero of these regrets. I guess that means I'm doing alright :)
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Interesting to notice that not one of the top five mentioned anything about any belief system or philosophy. No "I wish I had been a better Buddhist" or "Boy, if only I had gone to church more."

I'm with @federica -- let's go easy on the inferences. Buddhism, Christianity, Islam, or Frisbeetariainism might all be good assistants, but maybe a cup of coffee or a shot of bourbon would have made a more practical and satisfying good sense.
    Brian
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    I can see one of mine being: I wish I'd eaten more key lime pie. :p
    Brian
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Jason said:

I can see one of mine being: I wish I'd eaten more key lime pie. :p

Hey, now there's something we can be in total agreement on!
    JasonZero
  • I just read this post on an 87-year-old woman, Rose, who decided to go to college just because she'd always wanted to. At the end of the semester, she spoke at the college's football banquet and said:

“We do not stop playing because we are old; we grow old because we stop playing. There are only four secrets to staying young, being happy, and achieving success. You have to laugh and find humor every day.

You’ve got to have a dream. When you lose your dreams, you die.

We have so many people walking around who are dead and don’t even know it!There is a huge difference between growing older and growing up.

If you are nineteen years old and lie in bed for one full year and don’t do one productive thing, you will turn twenty years old.

If I am eighty-seven years old and stay in bed for a year and never do anything I will turn eighty-eight.

Anybody can grow older. That doesn’t take any talent or ability. The idea is to grow up by always finding opportunity in change.

Have no regrets.

The elderly usually don’t have regrets for what we did, but rather for things we did not do. The only people who fear death are those with regrets.”
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I'd think that having regreted not cooking that chicken for a couple more minutes would be on there. :p
    MaryAnne
  • Wow great post @Brian. It seems that the notion of looming death induced clarity and installs what is actually important in this world. This should be passed on to others, I can think of two people right off of the bat who may get something out of this information :)
    edited February 2013
    sharonsaw said:

I just read this post on an 87-year-old woman, Rose, who decided to go to college just because she'd always wanted to. At the end of the semester, she spoke at the college's football banquet and said:

“We do not stop playing because we are old; we grow old because we stop playing. There are only four secrets to staying young, being happy, and achieving success. You have to laugh and find humor every day.

You’ve got to have a dream. When you lose your dreams, you die.

We have so many people walking around who are dead and don’t even know it!There is a huge difference between growing older and growing up.

If you are nineteen years old and lie in bed for one full year and don’t do one productive thing, you will turn twenty years old.

If I am eighty-seven years old and stay in bed for a year and never do anything I will turn eighty-eight.

Anybody can grow older. That doesn’t take any talent or ability. The idea is to grow up by always finding opportunity in change.

Have no regrets.

The elderly usually don’t have regrets for what we did, but rather for things we did not do. The only people who fear death are those with regrets.”

never leave the playground :) I only wish I could direct link this video... watching this 97 year old guy do what he does is amazing and well worth the watch.

http://growingbolder.com/media/health/aging/never-leave-the-playground-793777.html
  • Fantastic thread.
  • CoryCory Tennessee Veteran
    edited February 2013
    We have to rid our regrets before we have the chance to die, and since we could die any time, that means immediately.

It is ironic how there are regrets of not being happy, when you need to get rid of regrets to be happy.
    BhikkhuJayasara
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    Genaku I can appereciate your observation.

Regret of the living:

"MEDITATE, Ananda, DO NOT DELAY, or else you will regret it later. This is our instruction to you."

"I would have made love more and I would have taken more psychedelics" Tim Leary
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    Hmm I don't see an edit feature. Anyways just saying everyone can be different.
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited February 2013
    The five:
    I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
    I wish I hadn't worked so hard.
    I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.
    I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.
    I wish that I had let myself be happier.
    "This is how he attends inappropriately: 'Was I in the past? Was I not in the past? What was I in the past? How was I in the past? Having been what, what was I in the past? Shall I be in the future? Shall I not be in the future? What shall I be in the future? How shall I be in the future? Having been what, what shall I be in the future?' Or else he is inwardly perplexed about the immediate present: 'Am I? Am I not? What am I? How am I? Where has this being come from? Where is it bound?'

"As he attends inappropriately in this way, one of six kinds of view arises in him:.......This is called a thicket of views, a wilderness of views, a contortion of views, a writhing of views, a fetter of views. Bound by a fetter of views, the uninstructed run-of-the-mill person is not freed from birth, aging, & death, from sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair. He is not freed, I tell you, from suffering & stress."

MN2

Food for thought