Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Weird movements during meditation...

I've a friend (he's an A.A. sponsee) who has been interested in Buddhism for some years, but is only a few months sober. Six weeks or so ago he phoned me quite disturbed because he is doing some involuntary movements during meditation. I didn't think it was any big deal, he was alive, he was sober, he was going to meetings and doing all the stuff he should be doing. I think I just said that it hasn't killed him, not to worry about it, and just crack on doing what he's doing.

Anyway, it's still happening and he showed me a video he took of himself while meditating and I thought it looked quite disturbing. But first, let me describe this lad; he's a psychologist - mid 30s - has a long and severe history of alcohol and drug abuse. He's intelligent, he has his own small private counselling practise (I know I know), and he's a charming and level headed kind of guy; with a crazy streak.

Well, this is what I saw in his video. Early on in his meditation - about 20 seconds in, his head tilts up towards the ceiling and he then starts shaking; quite viciously. You'd almost think he was taking a fit. He then calms down, but he still makes funny, almost snake like movements. Sometimes (he tells me) his hands and arms will move too. He says it's all involuntary and only happens when he meditates. I did think it looked disturbing.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Tosh said:

I've a friend (he's an A.A. sponsee) who has been interested in Buddhism for some years, but is only a few months sober. Six weeks or so ago he phoned me quite disturbed because he is doing some involuntary movements during meditation. I didn't think it was any big deal, he was alive, he was sober, he was going to meetings and doing all the stuff he should be doing. I think I just said that it hasn't killed him, not to worry about it, and just crack on doing what he's doing.

Anyway, it's still happening and he showed me a video he took of himself while meditating and I thought it looked quite disturbing. But first, let me describe this lad; he's a psychologist - mid 30s - has a long and severe history of alcohol and drug abuse. He's intelligent, he has his own small private counselling practise (I know I know), and he's a charming and level headed kind of guy; with a crazy streak.

Well, this is what I saw in his video. Early on in his meditation - about 20 seconds in, his head tilts up towards the ceiling and he then starts shaking; quite viciously. You'd almost think he was taking a fit. He then calms down, but he still makes funny, almost snake like movements. Sometimes (he tells me) his hands and arms will move too. He says it's all involuntary and only happens when he meditates. I did think it looked disturbing.

Any ideas?

That is new to me Tosh, my head often slowly elevates up above a little, it kind of feels lighter and my forehead tilts back, but apart from feeling a little 'wavy' and a pulsating kind of feeling, I have never had this or heard of it happening before. Maybe you should suggest for him to consult a Buddhist teacher as they will most likely be your best bet aside from gathering experiences from people here.

Also I would like to just say I really admire your work you do with people who have alcoholism, I have read your other thread related to that but cannot find anything to say lol... Just good luck and hope you manage to come to a mutual and peaceful understanding.

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited February 2013
    I'm no expert, but doesn't sound like he should really worry about it. When body and mind detach, they loose track of one another a bint and things can happen. It will probably go away with time. If it doesn't, ask a monk of somebody else with a lot of experience teaching meditation. Or go do it anyway, can't hurt. :)

Also, maybe it is some alcohol effect, which I am certainly not qualified to say something about.

Metta!
    Jeffrey
  • You could check out the word 'Kriyas'.. I don't think its something to worry about either but I agree talking to a teacher is a good idea. I had a good bit of movement early on when I began sitting .. I believe it can be various things releasing and whatnot.. Good for him for meditating! Keep going:)
    Jeffrey
  • You could check out the word 'Kriyas'.. I don't think its something to worry about either but I agree talking to a teacher is a good idea. I had a good bit of movement early on when I began sitting .. I believe it can be various things releasing and whatnot.. Good for him for meditating! Keep going:)

You know, he did some interweb based research and came up with the same thing "Kriyas"; something to do with Kundalini; but I know nothing about either.

I'll suggest he goes and finds a meditation teacher. Thanks.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited February 2013
    It's not common but I have seen some of this this a number of times. For most it just passes with time.
    Everything we have ever hung onto or pushed away seems to be able to be re experienced in a meditation practise. For some this seems to occurs physically as they become able to meditatively face it again with acceptance.

In most monastery's, nobody pays much attention to it, although sometime later a senior will probably check in with that meditater to see if they are pushing a bit too hard in some way. It's just something else to sit through.
    For some those shaking's are followed with a sense of relief and lightness as something long carried in the body is let go of, whereas for others, nothing follows.
    It doesn't seem to hurt anyone but some folks experiencing this have felt the need to leave a meditation hall out of fear of disturbing others.
    It certainly can be a bit challenging in the quiet of a meditation hall to have someones body look like they might be starting into an epileptic fit.

But these movements I'm describing are chaotic whereas I've never seen movements that looked as co ordinated as the (snake like) ones you describe.
    Tosh
  • Thanks a lot, @how, I shall pass that on.
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Not sure if it's any help but I went on a Yoga camp about a year ago and a young lady in one of the music meditations (a guy playing different Tibetan Singing Bowls) started shaking and seemed to be convulsing for quite a time.

A few people (including me) looked a little concerned but the guy beside her assured us it was ok.

Never seen anything like it before or since.
  • Tosh said:

Any ideas?

Kundalini?

• @Tosh
    This happens very often during sitting practice of 'Qi Gong' for beginners.
    As meditation sometimes touches on your Qi, due to the breathing exercise.
    Your friend might have been too aware of his breaths, and started to direct them with his mind.

The twirling arms, nodding heads, etc repetitive motions are a manifestation of blocked Qi. In due course it will work its way around the blockage and the motions cease. Acute cases gets the practitioner standing and doing violent movements.

Usually the teacher will help with the blockage, depending on the situation.
  • I am the opposite. I shake violently from a rare medical condition. When I meditate, it feels like my head is rising and my shoulders are being pulled up slowly. It actually will stop me from shaking temporarily. Once I stop meditating, the shaking slowly comes back. This info was very helpful.