Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Russian meteorite

I have been following this since it came across the wires; and as many see this as a magnifcant thing. Not as much as the wonderous mysteries we have in the unverse, but how far we have come from the day's of the cold war and the brink of nuclear destruction. Imagine, if this had happened 30, 40 or even 50 years ago and a very paranoid soviet general, thinking of nuclear attack pushed the button in a retaliation that wasn't there?

Now, next time lets not just look at the wonder, but the wonder on how far the world has come since those day's. :D

Comments

• I can only think of one other documented case where someone was directly harmed from a meteor strike. That we know of. Even in this case, it didn't hit anyone but the flying glass from the sound of the explosion hurt some people.

In the "old days" this would have certainly been hushed, immediately classified a state secret and paranoid minds would wonder if it's an enemy satellite or something. It's true, I remember one of the huge worries was that a comet or meteor would be mistaken for an attack. According to some reports, we came a lot closer to war being triggered on several occasions due to false alarms than anyone would admit.
  • JohnG said:

Imagine, if this had happened 30, 40 or even 50 years ago and a very paranoid soviet general, thinking of nuclear attack pushed the button in a retaliation that wasn't there?

Doesn't the concept sound ridiculous now in its redundancy...? that the 2 major super powers would ever imagine that one or the other would launch? or that there could be any type of confusion that would unilaterally commence nuclear war? or that there is a 'button' and a general looming over it even?

'Cold war' to me sounds like 'weapons of mass destruction', 'terrorist' and 'Iranian nuclear threat' to name a few.

In my mind, the illusion of progress keeps the game going - we haven't come far, if at all.
  • chelachela Veteran
    edited February 2013
    The war on terror is not very much unlike the cold war. Both involve governments implanting fears and exaggerations into the public in order to make new laws that restrict personal freedoms, as well as to justify wars. I was actually learning about the cold war in college just after 911, and the similarities of what was happening gave me chills and still does when I think about it. When we do not remember the past, we are bound to repeat it, and when we have civilizations of people too distracted by FB and what is happening with prime-time t.v. actors to care about the past, we are in trouble.
    Bunks
  • Well, actually, OP, I don't think we've come very far at all. I heard a Russian commenting, in the background to one of the videos, a random person in public, that it might be a military attack. These things still aren't far from people's minds, especially when smoke, bright lights and explosions are involved, and Putin's politics are taking Russia right back into the Cold War ear. :( I find that in dealing with Russia, sadly, "the more things change, the more they stay the same". Oh well.

Even back in the day, no one would have automatically, "pushed the button". They would have investigated first. It would have been completely irresponsible to do anything else. They may have investigated with one finger on the trigger, but they would have investigated.
  • haha, wow--typo! Above: not the "cold War ear" but the Cold War era! lol!
  • Dakini said:

haha, wow--typo! Above: not the "cold War ear" but the Cold War era! lol!

Meah, could be both; do you live in a cold environment?

:coffee:
  • :confused:
  • Well, a cold war ear could mean that you lost your ear muffs during manouvers in the winter, and during a cold period. Don't mind me now, up for over 30 hours, need sleep, or more coffee. :coffee:
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    "The Russian Meteorite!" What a great name for a hockey club!

Reminds me of perhaps my favorite joke:

There was this guy named Ivan and he was from Minnesota. All the way through school he always went out for drama club and was always learning lines and making friends wherever he could.

Well, he went off to university there in Mankato and took a few semesters (maybe three), and was trying to maximize his résumé by taking all the acting jobs in Minneapolis and Duluth he could, and always giving his classwork his all. Finally, one extremely cold February day with two feet of snow on the roofs, eight on the streets, and a wind chill of minus 40 degrees (Fahrenheit or Celsius, WHAT DOES IT MATTER!!!!!!), the lad has a startling revelation!

"WTF am I doing digging my way through this avalanche, when I'll never get my feet back on solid ground and do what I wanna do? Afterall, IT'S WHO YOU KNOW that gets you an acting part in Hollywood. Heck, I'll go out there, take a job in a nice spot and just work my charm until I get my break."

So Ivan packs up and moves to BEVERLY HILLS, Californee-AYE-aay! The weather's NOT BAD, and to boot, he soon finds a job in a very Top-End Supermarket right there in Beverly Hills. After a couple of months he's actually put in charge of the produce department, has a few auditions booked, and is ON HIS WAY to stardom!

BUT THEN, one day this man walks in [think cleft palate] and starts insisting on buying just a half head of lettuce. Ivan, again and again, firmly but gently says, "No SIR, You Have to Buy the Whole Head." But the man will not take "No" for an answer. After several minutes of this, Ivan realizes that his own resources are beaten and he has to appeal to a higher authority. So he walks to the manager's office, knocks, walks in (unfortunately leaving the door open behind him), and says:
    "Boss, there's this JERK out there who INSISTS on buying just half a head of Lettuce. Now how am I GONNA GIVE HIM IT?" —Just then, Ivan's peripheral vision informs him that the customer-to-be has followed him into the office and overheard everything. To Which Ivan quickly adds, "And, Boss, here's the nice man who wants to buy the OTHER half!"

Major Confrontation Averted. About half an hour later, the manager calls Ivan back to his office and says:

"You know, Ivan, that at Bread and Circus Markets Beverly Hills we always treat our customers with utmost courtesy. I know that Mr. Featherstonehaugh can be very difficult to deal with at times, but he is a prestigious customer. In the end, though, your diplomacy did save the day, which makes me glad I hired you. Where, again, did you say you came from?"

"Oh, I'm from Minnesota, but I don't brag on it none, 'cuz everyone from there is either a whore or a hockey player."

"My WIFE'S from Minnesota!" [gruffly]

"O really? WHAT TEAM did she play for?"
    ZeroBhanteLuckyYaskansndymorn

a wind chill of minus 40 degrees (Fahrenheit or Celsius, WHAT DOES IT MATTER!!!!!!

Love Red Green! The humor so simple, but yet so funny.